Showing results 1 to 25 of 500
Search took 1.40 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: William R. Walsh[_2_]
Forum: Dell Computers June 25th 11, 04:45 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 3
So...how does the duct come up and out of a Dimension 2300?

Hi!

Pictures are found here at Dell.

Those pictures don't show the actual air duct. They only depict
removal of the CPU heatsink, which I do not need or want to do.

William
Forum: Dell Computers June 24th 11, 06:33 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 3
So...how does the duct come up and out of a Dimension 2300?

Hello all..

This should be such a simple question, but I haven't figured it out. I
picked up a Dell Dimension 2300 (as well as another Dell system*) off
of the curb. After replacing a fan, wiping...
Forum: Dell Computers June 24th 11, 06:23 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 2
Notebook Abuse!

Hi!

Can anyone recommend a site that I can show her or printout that maybe
she will believe?

A customer of mine brought in an Asus laptop for repairs...mostly bad
behavior due to malware and...
Forum: Dell Computers May 20th 11, 04:13 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 28
Dell Outlet Sto Certified Refurbished vs. Scratch & Dent?

Hi!

What's the difference? What does Certified Refurbished mean?

There isn't much. Sometimes the "scratch n dent" machines are in so-
far-as-anyone-can-tell flawless condition, and sometimes they...
Forum: Dell Computers May 20th 11, 03:46 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 4
Optiplex XE blurry fonts/screen

Hi!

What's causing this? *and what can be done to solve? *The SyncMaster
931BF has been superb for years and not it's really fatiguing.

What refresh rate are you running? Your LCD panel is...
Forum: Dell Computers May 20th 11, 03:43 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Replies: 9
Can't write to flashdrive?

Hi!

A) If you haven't written to the flash drive for, say, 10 minutes, and
you know all your writes concluded 10 minutes ago, do you really have
to use that procedure?

It's a very good idea...
Forum: Dell Computers May 20th 11, 03:40 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 13
Can't write to flashdrive?

Hi!

B) *She can read from the drive but not write to it.

What's the next step? * Running chkdsk?

If the drive is readable, back up everything that is on it. I strongly
suggest that you do NOT...
Forum: Dell Computers May 4th 11, 06:47 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 15
92mm vs. 90mm Case Fan

Hi!

The case fan in my Studio XPS 8100 uses a three pin connector.
This means it reports its RPMs to the BIOS, but the fan speed
cannot be controlled by the BIOS; that's where a fourth wire...
Forum: Dell Computers April 21st 11, 06:51 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 8
Me Or BillW?

Oh for heaven's sake...or some kind of sake at least...

Good golly it's been a long time since I've been involved a Usenet
****storm. Not long enough, tho.

It seems you two have both been here and...
Forum: Dell Computers April 18th 11, 06:07 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 11
So how fast is the processor?

Hi!

I did that, and this is all I got. *Is it the 850 on line 1? * *I
guess I should have figured that out. *

Yes, that is it.

Does line 2 mean 500Megs of RAM? *It's hard to tell!

2x256MB...
Forum: Dell Computers April 11th 11, 03:17 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 8
Dead e1505 question

Hi!

Just out of curiosity, have you tried powering the system without the
battery installed?

I don't think it's a problem with the battery or charging circuit. It
can't hurt to see, though. It...
Forum: Dell Computers March 28th 11, 04:09 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 4
trying to contact Dell

Hi!

Well, I've got to ask...what particular question have you got? I'd be
willing to bet that you might get a "huh?" response from Dell
technical support even if you do get through to them.

There...
Forum: Dell Computers March 3rd 11, 04:38 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 5
Optiplex GX-620 = ?

Hi!

What consumer model (Dimension/Inspiron) does the GX620 mate up with?

As far as I know, there is no direct parallel.

I have an IBM sitting here that also has an ADI Soundmax on-board
and...
Forum: Dell Computers February 22nd 11, 07:56 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 15
Dimension 8400 Processor

Hi!

Not having tried it personally, I can't say for sure. However, Dell's
BIOS is pretty tolerant of different CPUs. The Dim8400 power supply
and motherboard should definitely be up to it. I would...
Forum: Dell Computers February 22nd 11, 07:54 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 36
Old Dimension 8200 BIOS Question

Hi!

Where do i find info on the registry fix. I have all the SP Packs that
came out.

Right he
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305098
(same procedure for both Win2K and XP)

William
Forum: Dell Computers February 22nd 11, 07:00 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 7
Is this a battery problem

All modern laptop batteries have intelligent controllers. Amongst
other things, these ICs have a "gas gauge" function that is reported
to the laptop and the operating system using a serial...
Forum: Dell Computers February 22nd 11, 06:53 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 36
Old Dimension 8200 BIOS Question

The Dimension 8200 will recognize a large drive properly with the
latest BIOS. Earlier systems (Dimension 8100/OptiPlex GX400, P3 based
Precision 220 tested for sure) also have 48-bit LBA...
Forum: Dell Computers February 22nd 11, 06:48 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 4
DellXPS 400 WinXP Pro won't boot

Hi!

can't find keyboard
can't find SATA 0 and SATA1 drives

Sounds bad for the motherboard. Have you tried unplugging the computer
from AC power for several minutes or even overnight?

You may...
Forum: Dell Computers February 14th 11, 07:19 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 8
Bios settings / adding 2nd HD to a T3500

Hi!

Even though I ordered the "non-raid" configuration from Dell, the "sata
operation" section of the system bios (A08) has the "Raid on" option
set, even though there is currently only 1 hard...
Forum: Dell Computers February 10th 11, 07:29 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 4
Hard Drives Spin Down/Spin Up

Hi!

Is it okay for the hard drives to spin down and up frequently, or
was I better off with leaving them running all the time? (P.S. I
used to power down my computer every night; now it just...
Forum: Dell Computers February 10th 11, 07:24 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 15
CD Drive Problem

Hi!

What could be causing this and is it possible I can fix it?

It's a bad/slipping tray drive belt. You can replace it, since the
speed is not terribly critical, a properly sized rubber band...
Forum: Dell Computers November 29th 10, 06:06 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 7
AC Adapter question

Hi!

Does it matter?

Not much, if at all. The 90 watt AC adapter will provide more power--
but not any more than the system needs. What you may notice is faster
charging of the battery, especially...
Forum: Dell Computers November 15th 10, 03:24 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 8
Boot cannot find drives

Hi!

Every time I boot up I get the following error message:
"Primary Drive *1 not found. *Secondary drive 2 not found. Strike the
F1 key to continue, or F2 to run the setup utility.

I hit...
Forum: Dell Computers October 20th 10, 05:17 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 11
Drivers for SoundBlaster X-FI XtremeMusic. (D)w/Dolby Digital5.1, 64-Bit Win 7 drivers

Hi!

Sorry if I seem like an ASS....but isn't this guy a bit needy.

I'm not sure who you are addressing...probably not me! (The only
Precision I have is an old Precision 220 workstation and it was...
Forum: Dell Computers October 19th 10, 10:04 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 11
Drivers for SoundBlaster X-FI XtremeMusic. (D)w/Dolby Digital5.1, 64-Bit Win 7 drivers

Hi!

That's not a safe assumption about OEM versions of Creative
sound cards. *I ran into this several years ago: I tried to use
Creative's drivers with one of their cards that came with my
Showing results 1 to 25 of 500