Showing results 1 to 25 of 500
Search took 0.02 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: William R. Walsh
Forum: Dell Computers December 11th 10, 09:21 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 19
Posted By William R. Walsh
Carbonite Sneaks in

Hi!

While I was updating an old Dell 600M running Windows XP that I did
not have on for several months, a program named Carbonite download
itself automatically onto my desktop. I did not have...
Forum: Dell Computers November 25th 10, 06:30 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 7
Posted By William R. Walsh
Inspiron 1520 - Power Supply gone again

Hi!

If the light does not come on, you probably have a connection cable with
an
internal short-circuit. That would be the first place to look--if you
tweak
and abuse the cable while the...
Forum: Dell Computers November 24th 10, 04:56 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 8
Posted By William R. Walsh
Client Lease Time?

Hi!

that is not correct. if the computer is on and connected to the network
when the lease reaches expiration, the computer renews its lease in
which case the ip address stays the same.

Nor...
Forum: Dell Computers November 24th 10, 04:08 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 7
Posted By William R. Walsh
OT? Internet Security for my Dell 2400

Hi!

Looks as if I may have to give up computing. I can only afford DIAL
UP, which is not conducive to the 'startup' downloading of 90MB's
of anti-virus definitions...as PC TOOLS...
Forum: Dell Computers November 24th 10, 04:01 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 7
Posted By William R. Walsh
Inspiron 1520 - Power Supply gone again

Hi!

My Inspiron 1520 laptop is 3 years old and the power supply has stopped
working again. I am now looking at a third one from Dell. Very costly
business, but is this the norm? I mean one...
Forum: Dell Computers September 30th 10, 07:32 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 6
Posted By William R. Walsh
System Information Utility

Belarc Advisor is one program that I've heard good things about. It is free
for personal use. You might also get some more information out of the
Windows device manager or even the Dell service tag...
Forum: Dell Computers September 29th 10, 01:53 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 9
Posted By William R. Walsh
Need a Better, Beefier Video Card

Hi!

I have a XPS 420 running XP SP3. I'm maxed out on system RAM at 3GB.
Core Quad Q660 @ 2.40GHz

I'm very certain the power supply will handle the load. Dell was still using
quality power...
Forum: Dell Computers September 27th 10, 11:54 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 15
Posted By William R. Walsh
Dimension e series

Hi!

I see the difference between boards is that the HJ054 supports using a
pentium D.

Well, you're doing better than I would have thus far. I don't know that
board very well and have not...
Forum: Dell Computers September 25th 10, 06:18 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 1
Posted By William R. Walsh
Intel Rapid Storage Technology

Without having researched it too much, it sounds like a modern take on
Intel's Application Accelerator idea.

I'd leave it alone. Removing it might kill your disk storage drivers and
leave you with...
Forum: Dell Computers September 25th 10, 06:17 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 15
Posted By William R. Walsh
Dimension e series

Hi!

Are these worth re-buiding?

Probably. Even today they'd make decent workhorse systems. I wouldn't spend
a ton of money to make them work again, but some is reasoanble enough.

I thought a...
Forum: Dell Computers September 23rd 10, 03:10 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 6
Posted By William R. Walsh
ADI1984A chipset audio output power

Hi!

How much audio power can an onboard chipset handle?

It's a line level output only, at best. It will drive small speakers or
possibly headphones.

I doubt you'd damage the audio hardware, but...
Forum: Dell Computers September 17th 10, 01:52 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 3
Posted By William R. Walsh
"Free to a good home" - Dell D-port Docking Adapters & AC adapters

Hello again!

I am definitely interested in the remaining set that you have, but it seems
that my ability to send e-mail has been curtailed at the moment.

Just so you know and don't think I only...
Forum: Dell Computers September 6th 10, 04:16 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 5
Posted By William R. Walsh
Dimension 8300 and other heat sinks

Hi!

I just upgraded the CPU in a Dimension 8300 to a Pentium 3.0HT, and
swiped the heat sink from a Dimension XPS Gen 2 system.

I just did the same thing, but as I had no other choice, I reused...
Forum: Dell Computers September 6th 10, 04:11 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 24
Posted By William R. Walsh
win7 and P4's

Hi!

you should use the 32bit version (not the 64bit version) of windows 7 on
a dimension 8300 since the dimension 8300 can not support more than
4gb of ram.

More importantly than that, there...
Forum: Dell Computers August 22nd 10, 05:13 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 9
Posted By William R. Walsh
Saturday night question! Replacement power supply. Standard part?

Hi!

Nope, didn't know that one. Which models?

I'm pretty sure the OptiPlex GX400 uses the same supply. Other candidates
*might* include Pentium II and Pentium III Dimensions or even...
Forum: Dell Computers August 9th 10, 03:19 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 20
Posted By William R. Walsh
Bootable eSata backup software?

Hi!

True! But you were pretty generic about raving about Acronis True Image
with external drives in general. And here I disagree with you.

What else could I be? My experiences were pretty...
Forum: Dell Computers August 8th 10, 07:09 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 20
Posted By William R. Walsh
Bootable eSata backup software?

Hi!

No! Acronis True Image is the worst when it comes to external hard
drives.

Waitaminute...the OP said the drive has supports a (e)SATA connection.
Nearly every eSATA implementation out there...
Forum: Dell Computers August 8th 10, 07:07 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 16
Posted By William R. Walsh
gx240 tower

Hi!

There are also USB 2.0 cards with VIA chips, but I have not tried... Ben
Myers

The few Acer USB chipsets I've seen were pretty bad, only meeting a very
loose definition of working on most...
Forum: Dell Computers August 8th 10, 02:26 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 20
Posted By William R. Walsh
Bootable eSata backup software?

Hi!

On the box they touted some of their software that claimed to be able to
create
a bootable backup image on the external hard drive. I googled their
software
and it did not sound...
Forum: Dell Computers August 8th 10, 02:22 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 16
Posted By William R. Walsh
gx240 tower

Hi!

I tried a couple usb 2.0 cards but but some things like the pinnacle
usb TV has signal dropouts. I do not know the exact cause of this.

How about the USB host controller? Whose USB 2.0...
Forum: Dell Computers July 31st 10, 10:57 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 3
Posted By William R. Walsh
will 9.5mm height drive fit in Dell 1564 laptop ?

Hi!

It *should*...the common sizes used to be 12, 15 and 17mm by my
recollection. Drives have gotten smaller in size.

You might be able to measure your current drive and see what its size is.
Most...
Forum: Dell Computers July 31st 10, 10:55 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 16
Posted By William R. Walsh
need to replace battery- do I need to write down everything in sys. setup?

Hi!

That's news to me. I never thought you could print while in BIOS screens
because print drivers haven't loaded up yet. I'll have to try it. I've
always written down every BIOS setting...
Forum: Dell Computers July 31st 10, 10:53 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 16
Posted By William R. Walsh
need to replace battery- do I need to write down everything in sys. setup?

Hi!

Were it me, I'd forget totally about the Dell support forum. You will
generally get better information here anyway, because a lot of us have
numerous Dell systems in operation, both new and...
Forum: Dell Computers July 31st 10, 10:50 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 1
Posted By William R. Walsh
IDE and blue ray

Hi!

Officially I don't think there are *any* PATA blu-ray drives.

But that doesn't mean they don't exist. Someone handed me the disassembled
remains of a blu-ray player (it works when everything is...
Forum: Dell Computers July 23rd 10, 09:35 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 8
Posted By William R. Walsh
Need Dell XP Home with SP3 CD

Hi!

Please don't bother posting advice to slip stream one. There's no known
way to do this for Dell OEM media that actually works.

Then you're not doing it right or your source of information...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 500