Showing results 1 to 25 of 75
Search took 0.07 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: John Jordan
Forum: Storage (alternative) January 28th 13, 06:42 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,uk.comp.homebuilt
Replies: 41
Posted By John Jordan
Help to interpret HD Tune results please

On 27/01/2013 03:18, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo , John Jordan
escribió:

It used to be the case that the Intel AHCI driver would...
Forum: Storage (alternative) January 26th 13, 07:51 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,uk.comp.homebuilt
Replies: 41
Posted By John Jordan
Help to interpret HD Tune results please

On 26/01/2013 17:24, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

Searched the hard drive for msahci.sys, which isn't present, so if I
were to make changing from IDE mode to AHCI work I would need to install
the...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 6th 12, 03:31 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
Replies: 13
Posted By John Jordan
Alternative to ATI HD 5670

On 06/02/2012 10:36, Mark wrote:
Hi,
I'm just sending a faulty ATI HD5670 card back. Since these cards are
now hard to get I suspect they will refund rather than replace.
Therefore I will be...
Forum: General January 19th 11, 05:59 PM Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 20
Posted By John Jordan
Screen is 1928 x 1208, not 1920 x 1200

On 19/01/2011 09:32, Paul wrote:

By its definition, wouldn't a "maximized" window be attempting to hide
the decorative trim pixels on all four sides of the window ?

When I test Firefox...
Forum: General November 23rd 09, 11:19 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware,uk.comp.homebuilt
Replies: 12
Posted By John Jordan
Transcend, Lexar or Kingston for USB drive?

Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:

Transcend JetFlash
Lexar JumpDrive
Kingston Data Traveler Mini Slim

At that price (ie cheap) they'll all be the same tech. All three are
top brand names....
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 21st 09, 10:24 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
Replies: 10
Posted By John Jordan
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

kathie wrote:
On 14:50 21 Nov 2009, Conor wrote:

In article ,
kathie says...

I heard of various methods to recover XP Pro but I...
Forum: General October 18th 09, 09:46 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware,uk.comp.homebuilt
Replies: 82
Posted By John Jordan
What after XP?

bcoombes wrote:
Conor wrote:

47.9 day reboot....

Had to think about that for a while, seems like a lifetime ago
now...didn't M$ say it was a feature?

More or less. It dates back to...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 15th 09, 09:16 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
Replies: 12
Posted By John Jordan
Want some help to choose a monitor

Conor wrote:
In article , Surfer! says...

And yes, the advice to check your graphics card will support it's native
resolution is worth heeding.

Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 26th 09, 10:49 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
Replies: 99
Posted By John Jordan
Recommendations for new build

William J. Lunsford wrote:
John Jordan" wrote in message

The confusion here is that board has 128MB of sideport DDR3, which...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 26th 09, 03:45 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
Replies: 99
Posted By John Jordan
Recommendations for new build

Paul wrote:

A7DA-S (in the Socket AM2+/AM2 section)
http://www.foxconnchannel.com/product/Motherboards/detail_spec.aspx?ID=en-us0000402

Note that the upper and lower section of the...
Forum: General April 25th 09, 02:03 PM Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 16
Posted By John Jordan
QX3 Microscope

Terry Pinnell wrote:

I haven't yet identified what the 'unknown' device is, but will now
proceed to track it down. As I've raised before, I wish there was some
visual correspondence...
Forum: General January 19th 09, 05:16 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware,uk.comp.homebuilt
Replies: 31
Posted By John Jordan
Hard Drive making Explorer crash

Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:

Windows isn't very good at dealing with broken filesystems - generally
going off into a flat spin rather than outright crashing. And there's
no way to stop it...
Forum: Overclocking AMD Processors December 18th 08, 09:52 PM Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.misc,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Replies: 14
Posted By John Jordan
[UK] What value this used 2800+ Sepron PC I saw?

andrew wrote:

What do you reckon is the going price for this PC which a dealer
bought from a liquidation sale and is selling on.

Sempron 2800+
Gigabyte mobo: PCIx3 PATAx4 SATAx2...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 7th 08, 06:39 AM Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 32
Posted By John Jordan
How to overcome memory overload?

Rob Morley wrote:

The memory manager in 32 bit Windows NT derivatives is limited to a
total address space of 4GB because it stores addresses in a 32 bit word
- if it had an extra bit to play...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 6th 08, 12:38 AM Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 32
Posted By John Jordan
How to overcome memory overload?

DCA wrote:

Although the system can still use the remainder for page file
access albeit invisible to Windows 'available memory' (as I
understand)

###
What happens is that some...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 18th 08, 10:39 PM Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 19
Posted By John Jordan
Gigabyte MB with video?

Davy wrote:
I am coming round to buying a Gigabyte board rather than my initial choice
Intel.

The P35 chipset looks about right for my business, sound and and graphics
needs. Don't game...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 18th 08, 10:33 PM Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 10
Posted By John Jordan
Any point in having a 1333Mhz motherboard with DDR2 800?

Davy wrote:
Some of you will have seen in previous posts that I am struggling to choose
a motherboard. I am now attracted to the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 - mostly cos
of very favourable reviews.
Forum: Dell Computers October 4th 07, 11:00 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,uk.comp.homebuilt
Replies: 20
Posted By John Jordan
New graphics card for Dimension 5150 / E510

Synapse Syndrome wrote:

I see. I suppose that means that my Asus P5W DH Deluxe 975X motherboard
didn't come out that long before the Core 2 Duo then, as all the early BIOSs
did not...
Forum: Dell Computers October 4th 07, 10:03 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,uk.comp.homebuilt
Replies: 20
Posted By John Jordan
New graphics card for Dimension 5150 / E510

Synapse Syndrome wrote:

You might be able to drop in a low-end Core 2 Duo as well, after a BIOS
update (higher-end would not take advantage of the higher bus speed). That
woudl reduce...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 19th 07, 01:25 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By John Jordan
PSU behind video card 'failures'?

DerekBaker wrote:
A couple of weeks ago I had what I though was video card trouble: had a
lot of instability in Windows and eventually there was no picture.

Replaced that X800 with a new...
Forum: Storage (alternative) August 1st 07, 12:52 AM Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 14
Posted By John Jordan
Optimising speed of RAID-0 (mixed SATA/PATA)

Folkert Rienstra wrote:

Burst rates are unreliable, they depend on drive caching behaviour.
Use STR. What does HD Tach say.

Oh, I thought HD Tach was fully commercial for some reason. Turns...
Forum: Storage (alternative) July 31st 07, 01:11 AM Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Folkert Rienstra wrote:
"John Jordan" wrote in message

IIRC, UDMA maxes out at about 75% of theoretical transfer rate,

There...
Forum: Storage (alternative) July 29th 07, 09:13 PM Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 14
Posted By John Jordan
Optimising speed of RAID-0 (mixed SATA/PATA)

Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:
On Sun, 29 Jul 2007 07:06:59 -0700, "A. J. Moss"
wrote:

Would it make any difference if I connect the PATA drives...
Forum: UK Computer Vendors June 19th 07, 12:27 AM Posted to uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt
Replies: 30
Posted By John Jordan
Ebuyer unbranded memory doesn't work - how do I even know I havethe right stick?

Mike Scott wrote:
Jonathan wrote:

Pick up the phone and ring the 0800 number...

So, I called Crucial on 0800 013 0330 and spoke to a very helpful man
who answered the...
Forum: UK Computer Vendors June 17th 07, 09:31 PM Posted to uk.comp.vendors,uk.comp.homebuilt
Replies: 30
Posted By John Jordan
Ebuyer unbranded memory doesn't work - how do I even know I havethe right stick?

Jonathan wrote:

Phew! My head aches! I got a reply from the generic manufacturer.They
say:
[snip]

I'm almost shocked that they a) replied to you and b) know what they're
talking about. If...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 75