Showing results 1 to 25 of 38
Search took 0.01 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Bill[_39_]
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 4th 19, 06:32 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 3
Posted By Bill[_39_]
PS/2 vs USB Keyboard and why Logitech K120 belongs in trash !

wrote:
Part 2 (shorter video 3 mins and 30 secs and looks at visualizations only, on both cores, since driver might run on different core):

Better analysis of PS/2 vs...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 4th 19, 07:56 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 14
Posted By Bill[_39_]
Modem or Router Issue

Paul wrote:

OK, so I don't understand how the other guy only got 25Mbps
from his. It sounds like it isn't holding you back, so it's
a pass.

Thanks Paul. It is true that the second thing the...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 4th 19, 11:31 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 14
Posted By Bill[_39_]
Modem or Router Issue

Paul wrote:
Bill wrote:
VanguardLH wrote:

Their User Guide is far more extensive, and 139 pages long
Yes, I downloaded it before I swapped out the router.
The User Guide made me...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 4th 19, 06:58 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 14
Posted By Bill[_39_]
Modem or Router Issue

Paul wrote:

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/view

If we instead use the ranker, you can look at a review
for the top rated unit.

Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 4th 19, 06:31 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 14
Posted By Bill[_39_]
Modem or Router Issue

VanguardLH wrote:

Their User Guide is far more extensive, and 139 pages long
Yes, I downloaded it before I swapped out the router.
The User Guide made me think, but it didn't help me as much as...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 4th 19, 05:36 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 14
Posted By Bill[_39_]
Modem or Router Issue

Paul wrote:

You could take a look for exploits against the E1000.

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2014/02/mass-exploit-hits-linksys-e1000-e1200-wireless-routers.html

My first...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 4th 19, 02:57 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 14
Posted By Bill[_39_]
Modem or Router Issue

Char Jackson wrote:
As always, my
recommendation would be to maintain separate modem and router units so
that either can be replaced without the other.

Thank you for that advice! I will keep it...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 4th 19, 02:55 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 14
Posted By Bill[_39_]
Modem or Router Issue

VanguardLH wrote:
That it works more
reliably after letting it cool off also points to a heat problem:
routers get flaky as they burn up until they eventually cease.

Thank you for your reply! it...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 3rd 19, 06:16 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 14
Posted By Bill[_39_]
Modem or Router Issue

I have a Motorola SB6121 cable modem and a Cisco E1000 router.

The router needs to be reset (wires unplugged and replugged) one
to several times per day (for instance twice in the last half
hour)....
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 11th 19, 03:02 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 27
Posted By Bill[_39_]
"Microsoft Announces Modern OS" by Paul Thurrott

T. Ment wrote:
On Mon, 10 Jun 2019 16:41:13 -0500, Lynn McGuire wrote:

Windows 7 x64 Pro is the best ever.

IDK about that, but in 6 more months, time expires. Then you're out of
Forum: Homebuilt PC's May 7th 19, 06:31 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 8
Posted By Bill[_39_]
Intel UHD graphics

Rene Lamontagne wrote:

But so far I am not too happy with the settings software, Intel
Graphics Control Panel, It has only brightness and contrast, no
hue and saturation controls and I find...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's May 7th 19, 03:37 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 8
Posted By Bill[_39_]
Intel UHD graphics

Rene Lamontagne wrote:
I had hoped to run my new system build using the Intel UH 630
graphics built into the i7 8700 CPU.
But so far I am not too happy with the settings software, Intel
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 22nd 19, 06:21 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 31
Posted By Bill[_39_]
Lengthen the life of Windows 7 using the legal system

Filip454 wrote:

In general, auto-update is a very bad idea. It causes trouble.

I don't use auto-update. But I did not use my laptop for 4 or 5
months, tried to download and run the updates, and...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 21st 19, 08:08 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

On 2019-01-19 10:43, Chris wrote:
Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

Can a class-action suit be filed to US Court...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 7th 19, 05:23 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 15
Posted By Bill[_39_]
Cookies lag your browser

wrote:

For those that use CCCleaners and delete cookies ?

You can set up CCleaner so that it doesn't delete cookies
associated with certain URLs (or something to that...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 6th 19, 07:06 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 15
Posted By Bill[_39_]
Cookies lag your browser

Char Jackson wrote:

HTTP is a stateless protocol. Cookies provide the illusion of
statefulness. The web would be very different without cookies.

Yes, we would have more privacy. I'd swap...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 5th 19, 11:58 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 15
Posted By Bill[_39_]
Cookies lag your browser

wrote:
Cookies and other "persistent data" from websites is a lagging your browser and system as follows:

I use "CCleaner" to delete mine almost every day. Cookies are...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 18th 18, 01:22 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 47
Posted By Bill[_39_]
New system build - reboot loop when attempting to boot from SATAHDD

Char Jackson wrote:
Then another 30-40
attempts with the replacement board.

You've reminded me why I stay away from the bleeding edge, use
quality parts, etc. And still I've had a few...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 11th 18, 08:17 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 21
Posted By Bill[_39_]
PCIe , Was: Updating an XP box

Paul wrote:
Bill wrote:

Paul, Thank you for your detailed explanation. I got the point!
Maybe some details besides speed will emerge about these two
technologies. I've learned about...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 11th 18, 08:12 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 21
Posted By Bill[_39_]
PCIe , Was: Updating an XP box

Flasherly wrote:
On Tue, 11 Dec 2018 00:50:38 -0500, Flasherly
wrote:

Given that resource on your MB ...

Doesn't apply to me.. still running Win7 here.

-
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 11th 18, 03:57 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 21
Posted By Bill[_39_]
PCIe , Was: Updating an XP box

Paul wrote:
Bill wrote:
Flasherly wrote:

And I'd need the real experience of running both PCIe Gen3x2 M.2
against SATA SSD for an impression of applicable benefits.

Since you...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 11th 18, 12:43 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 21
Posted By Bill[_39_]
PCIe , Was: Updating an XP box

Flasherly wrote:

And I'd need the real experience of running both PCIe Gen3x2 M.2
against SATA SSD for an impression of applicable benefits.

Since you brought it up, and since I am curious. ...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 21st 18, 04:38 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 22
Posted By Bill[_39_]
Something is scanning my system, probably spyware in Firefox.

Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:

My best guess it's Firefox secretly scanning installed programs ?!

Instead of trying to figure out what's happening, just clean
install EVERYTHING including...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 14th 18, 05:01 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 12
Posted By Bill[_39_]
Clean install of Win 10 ?

Davej wrote:
On Tuesday, November 13, 2018 at 4:48:51 PM UTC-6, Paul wrote:
Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
Are you sure that only the MAC address is used?

I was attempting to use the...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 5th 18, 10:23 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 5
Posted By Bill[_39_]
RAM temperature sensors needed soon.

wrote:
This is probably a golden opertunity for companies like ASRock which have patents on or licenses patents on overheat protection circuitry for motherboards.

This...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 38