Replies: 23
Posted By Roger Blake[_2_]
What's the oldest printer you still use these days?

On 2020-12-14, TJ wrote:
Don't feel bad, Roger. I just came across this newsgroup myself.

I've seen people respond to posts from decades ago, so I don't feel
too bad about...
Forum: Printers December 4th 20, 03:09 AM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.printer,comp.periphs.printers
Replies: 23
Posted By Roger Blake[_2_]
What's the oldest printer you still use these days?

And now I see I'm responding to something from like a year and a half
ago. D'oh!

Roger Blake (Posts from Google...
Forum: Printers December 4th 20, 03:08 AM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.printers,comp.periphs.printer,comp.periphs.printers

On 2019-04-08, Ant wrote:
My colony still uses a HP LaserJet 6P connected to a 2008 15" MacBook
Pro with parallel - USB adapter. I had to install Gutenprint's printer
Forum: Printers November 26th 20, 01:48 AM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,comp.periphs.printers
Replies: 39
Posted By Roger Blake[_2_]
If you print from Windows 10 to your LAN networked printer -have you also printed from Android? How?

On 2020-11-25, Arlen Holder wrote:
HELPFUL HINT: I've been pulling up the printer menus so much that this

HELPFUL HINT: Take your stinking bullet points and shove...
Forum: Storage (alternative) August 7th 20, 02:21 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 0
Posted By Roger Blake[_2_]
"Confirmed: Garmin received decryptor for WastedLockerransomware"

On 2020-08-04, Lynn McGuire wrote:
"After a four day outage, Garmin suddenly announced that they were
starting to restore services, and it made us suspect that they paid...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 10th 19, 10:46 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Replies: 36
Posted By Roger Blake[_2_]
“Microsoft to end updates to Windows7’s free AV software, SecurityEssentials”

On 2019-12-10, Shadow wrote:
Kaspersky is usually top in detection. Just ahead of
BitDefender.

There is a free version of Bitdefender. You need to register it but it is
a free...
Forum: Storage (alternative) November 17th 19, 05:53 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 12
Posted By Roger Blake[_2_]
Seagate plans 50TB spinning rust by 2026

On 2019-11-17, Yousuf Khan wrote:
It seems rather optimistic that there will still be hard drives by then.
I can recall six years out from the end of floppy disks...
Forum: Intel September 22nd 19, 01:49 AM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.intel,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Replies: 16
Posted By Roger Blake[_2_]
What is the absolute smallest instruction set do you need tomake a working computer?

On 2019-09-21, Yousuf Khan wrote:
What's your guess? 100 instructions? 50 instructions? 10? Would you
believe just 1 instruction!? And that instruction is implied,...
Forum: Storage (alternative) September 15th 18, 01:40 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 6
Posted By Roger Blake[_2_]
"Seagate Announces 14TB Barracuda Pro, IronWolf, And IronWolfPro"

On 2018-09-11, Lynn McGuire wrote:
Good night, these hard drives are getting bigger by the minute. And not
cheap at a list price of around $600 each.

They'll come down...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 9th 18, 11:42 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 72
Posted By Roger Blake[_2_]
"Why I Will Never Buy a Hard Drive Again"

On 2018-08-09, Ant wrote:
Still expensive to me. :(

The current SSD sweet spot for price seems to be 500GB size. Larger than
that and price goes up quickly.

My main desktop...
Forum: Storage (alternative) July 27th 18, 12:40 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 8
Posted By Roger Blake[_2_]
What's the best way to fully erase external working USB HDDs?

On 2018-07-26, Roger Blake wrote:
You might want to try ddrescue, it will give you a detailed progress
indicator.

Responding to my own post, it happens that Linux...
Forum: Storage (alternative) July 27th 18, 12:04 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

On 2018-07-26, Ant wrote:
Thanks. I didn't know dd was good enough to do that like dban. I will
try that. :)

You might want to try ddrescue, it will give you a detailed...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 13th 18, 03:31 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.periphs.keyboard
Replies: 26
Posted By Roger Blake[_2_]
Unicomp Model-M a disaster

On 2018-01-13, B00ze wrote:
Anyone have a Unicomp USB keyboard? How does it work for you?

My father-in-law bought one because the keyboard that came with his new
PC was...
Forum: Storage (alternative) July 15th 16, 05:05 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 8
Posted By Roger Blake[_2_]
“No honor among thieves: New ransomwaretakes your money, deletes files anyway”

On 2016-07-15, Ed Light wrote:
Backing up to 2 clouds, bank vault, a drawer, & my person (even while I
sleep, in case of a tsunami).

Reading email using a 1980s-style...
Forum: Storage (alternative) December 16th 15, 02:42 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 4
Posted By Roger Blake[_2_]
"B2 Cloud Storage Opens Public Beta"

On 2015-12-15, Lynn McGuire wrote:
"In case you’re new to B2 Cloud Storage, it is a service that enables developers, IT people, and everyone else to store data in the
Forum: Storage (alternative) September 11th 15, 03:01 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 38
Posted By Roger Blake[_2_]
Why are external drives cheaper than internal?

On 2015-09-10, Mark Perkins wrote:
I've never heard of such a beast. If you run across an example, please post
a link. Thanks.

Wish I could remember the model but it was a...
Forum: Storage (alternative) September 10th 15, 09:27 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

On 2015-09-10, Mark F wrote:
I'm sure there are some examples of the same drive being cheaper
when buying in an external case, but many times:

I've found a few...
Forum: Storage (alternative) October 2nd 13, 07:13 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 6
Posted By Roger Blake[_2_]
Seagate 2TB, over 500 reallocated sectors

On 2013-10-02, Arno wrote:
500 reallocated is dying fast, unless an external cause (vibration,
bad power, heat) is to blame. Nothing "stable" here.

Strangely it is still running...
Forum: Storage (alternative) October 1st 13, 10:07 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

On 2013-10-01, joshua wrote:
She's dying, Jim. You into necrophilia ?

About what I figured. I don't think it was running hot, there's a fan
blowing directly on it. I'll send it...
Forum: Storage (alternative) September 30th 13, 11:33 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 6
Posted By Roger Blake[_2_]
Seagate 2TB, over 500 reallocated sectors

Got an automated message from smartd about a change in the SMART
status of a 2TB Seagate drive, shows 584 bad/reallocated sectors.
Confirmed in Gnome Disk Utility.

Seatools extended test and SMART...
Forum: Storage (alternative) December 27th 12, 02:57 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 16
Posted By Roger Blake[_2_]
always hide your backups!

On 2012-12-27, Arno wrote:
The only credibly demonstrated use of an AR-15 for a private citizen
seems to be to murder large numbers of innocent people.

That goes double for...
Forum: Storage (alternative) September 12th 10, 09:41 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 19
Posted By Roger Blake[_2_]
Any really good, reliable, easy to use disk imaging programsfor Win 7/64bit?

On 2010-09-09, Smarty wrote:
Is there any really good, very reliable disk imaging and recovery
program out there to take the place of Acronis?

http://www.clonezilla.org

Forum: Storage (alternative) August 23rd 10, 05:41 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 18
Posted By Roger Blake[_2_]
Current disk failure stats from Russia

On 2010-08-18, Arno wrote:
Ha, found it again. Pretty interesting and conclusive. They do
not fear naming names, I guess they are not afraid of being sued.

The Russkie talks...
Showing results 1 to 23 of 23