Showing results 1 to 25 of 43
Search took 0.00 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Andy Burns[_6_]
Forum: General June 13th 21, 01:07 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Replies: 9
Posted By Andy Burns[_6_]
Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller might be bad for privacy andeffect your hardware

Norm Why wrote:

Microsoft Storage Spaces Controller might be bad for privacy

AFAIK it operates at the block/device layer, not the file system layer,
I'd be surprised if it's responsible for...
Forum: General March 21st 21, 09:29 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Replies: 39
Posted By Andy Burns[_6_]
Why is this HDD so small?

Mark Lloyd wrote:

I have occasionally has problems with Amazon orders

On Friday I ordered an item, they said it would be delivered on Monday
which was fine, I had taken the free delivery rather...
Forum: General March 17th 21, 07:53 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Replies: 39
Posted By Andy Burns[_6_]
Why is this HDD so small?

Ken Blake wrote:

As far as I'm concerned, Amazon is completely reputable. I buy many
things from them

From amazon, or from resellers using amazon marketplace?
Forum: General August 5th 20, 06:14 AM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 4
Posted By Andy Burns[_6_]
Fresh install, plus personal files, still crashing.

micky wrote:

I have a bunch of power supplies that I took from full-size PC's but
this PC is one size smaller, 12"x 12 or 13 x 3.5. So they probably
wont' fit, right?

Be careful, some Dells...
Forum: Intel July 19th 20, 04:39 PM Posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Replies: 91
Posted By Andy Burns[_6_]
Linux founder tells Intel to stop inventing 'magic instructions' and 'start fixing real problems'

VanguardLH wrote:

Interesting how the alternative model was used for most of the
driving (underdoses the NH3 to convert NO) but switched to the main
model during the conditions of NEDC...
Forum: Intel July 18th 20, 06:29 PM Posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Replies: 91
Posted By Andy Burns[_6_]
Linux founder tells Intel to stop inventing 'magic instructions'and 'start fixing real problems'

nospam wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I just think if you chuck e.g. an rPi at a youngster today they won't
get the same understanding of it from logic gates upwards ...

an arduino would...
Forum: Intel July 18th 20, 05:30 PM Posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Replies: 91
Posted By Andy Burns[_6_]
Linux founder tells Intel to stop inventing 'magic instructions'and 'start fixing real problems'

nospam wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

I know that *I* would have a much poorer understanding of how computers
work if I hadn't cut my teeth with assembler (and BASIC) on 8 bit micros.

that...
Forum: Intel July 18th 20, 10:39 AM Posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Replies: 91
Posted By Andy Burns[_6_]
General ramblings (with some Linux flavouring). (Was: Linuxfounder tells Intel to stop inventing 'magic instructions' and 'start fixingreal problems')

J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

Char Jackson wrote:

J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

I know "could care less" is the US version of this expression

Please don't attribute that mangled...
Forum: Intel July 18th 20, 09:51 AM Posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Replies: 91
Posted By Andy Burns[_6_]
Linux founder tells Intel to stop inventing 'magic instructions'and 'start fixing real problems'

nospam wrote:

J. P. Gilliver wrote:

startled when I spoke to a young computing graduate, to
find he'd never done any assembler.

there is no need for assembler anymore, except in...
Forum: Intel July 17th 20, 05:20 PM Posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Replies: 91
Posted By Andy Burns[_6_]
Linux founder tells Intel to stop inventing 'magic instructions' and 'start fixing real problems'

Andy Burns wrote:

VanguardLH wrote:

You don't get a GUI desktop, like Gnome or KDE.

Not this year (unless you install an X11 server within windows

Having mentioned it, I thought I'd...
Forum: Intel July 17th 20, 10:50 AM Posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips

Andy Burns wrote:

VanguardLH wrote:

You don't get a GUI desktop, like Gnome or KDE.

Not this year (unless you install an X11 server within windows, or an
RDP server within windows)...
Forum: Intel July 17th 20, 10:27 AM Posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Replies: 91
Posted By Andy Burns[_6_]
Linux founder tells Intel to stop inventing 'magic instructions'and 'start fixing real problems'

VanguardLH wrote:

From what I've seen of the WSL videos, and because the Linux "apps" are
lightweight images of Linux, what I see is running the Linux image dumps
you to a bash shell in...
Forum: Intel July 17th 20, 09:55 AM Posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Replies: 91
Posted By Andy Burns[_6_]
Linux founder tells Intel to stop inventing 'magic instructions'and 'start fixing real problems'

VanguardLH wrote:

Where's the impetus to port if Steam's Proton (variant of WINE) along
with using proprietary video drivers for Linux (if available) lets
Windows-only games run on Linux?

Forum: Intel July 17th 20, 09:35 AM Posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Replies: 91
Posted By Andy Burns[_6_]
Linux founder tells Intel to stop inventing 'magic instructions'and 'start fixing real problems'

VanguardLH wrote:

I wonder how a car knows a gas sniffer is poking up its ahole. Oooh,
warm that up first before sticking it in. I suppose the car's computer
could notice the car wheels...
Forum: Printers April 13th 20, 07:49 PM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,comp.periphs.printers
Replies: 5
Posted By Andy Burns[_6_]
Gmail, HP insists on printing to file

Paul wrote:

Of all of the features on that page, one feature needs
to be discarded. Pick one. That's what the committee
should do.

Or just use printmanagement.msc instead.
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 28th 19, 11:34 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Replies: 36
Posted By Andy Burns[_6_]
“Microsoft to end updates to Windows 7’s free AV software, Security Essentials”

Bill wrote:

I upgraded two computers from Windows 7 to Windows 10. [snip]
with "classic start"

If ever you need to ask here about "why doesn't X, Y or Z work with
Win10?" be sure to make it...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's May 7th 19, 08:33 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Replies: 8
Posted By Andy Burns[_6_]
Intel UHD graphics

Rene Lamontagne wrote:

Somewhere in my last searching the Wild blue yonder I ran into one
article that inferred that this Intel program will not show hue and
saturation if using an HDMI...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's May 6th 19, 07:04 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Replies: 3
Posted By Andy Burns[_6_]
Intel UHD Graphics

Rene Lamontagne wrote:

it has only brightness and contrast, no hue and saturation controls and I
find that my display is a little light on saturation. Hue is good.

Wouldn't you adjust that...
Forum: AMD x86-64 Processors March 9th 19, 04:25 PM Posted to alt.privacy.anon-server,comp.os.linux.advocacy,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.games.warcraft
Replies: 1
Posted By Andy Burns[_6_]
A recent Windows 10 update is hurting game performance andmessing with mice

oreo cortez wrote:

Following the roll out of the February cumulative update for
Windows 10 Version 1809 (KB4482887)

I don't think KB4482887 is the Feb patch Tuesday, more of a "voluntary...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 23rd 18, 08:37 AM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 5
Posted By Andy Burns[_6_]
"New "Turning Tables" Technique Bypasses All Windows KernelMitigations"

VanguardLH wrote:

Don't know what is the speaker's native language

From the presentation, I would have guessed Russian, but from the
company details, more likely Hebrew?

Need to practice...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 22nd 18, 10:38 PM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 5
Posted By Andy Burns[_6_]
"New "Turning Tables" Technique Bypasses All Windows KernelMitigations"

VanguardLH wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Lynn McGuire wrote:

there is an awesome new exploit that might pass them all

Does the does the exploit only work for instances of Windows...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 22nd 18, 08:23 AM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Lynn McGuire wrote:

there is an awesome new exploit that might pass them all

Does the does the exploit only work for instances of Windows running
under Hyper-V?
Forum: Homebuilt PC's May 25th 18, 07:03 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.periphs.keyboard
Replies: 26
Posted By Andy Burns[_6_]
Unicomp Model-M a disaster --RESOLVED--

J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

I bought some of this conductive paint
to repair the elements in my rear screen heater. It used to be widely
sold for that, but isn't now - probably because, as I...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's May 25th 18, 03:29 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.periphs.keyboard
Replies: 26
Posted By Andy Burns[_6_]
Unicomp Model-M a disaster --RESOLVED--

B00ze wrote:

I had used 100% alcohol to clean the traces on the
transparent plastic "membrane" earlier, trying to get better contact to
the controller board. This weekend, flipping the...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's May 14th 18, 04:36 PM Posted to alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.conspiracy
Replies: 34
Posted By Andy Burns[_6_]
[BBC] IBM workers banned from using USB sticks

Diesel wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z370%20Pro4/index.us.asp

Ayep. You'll notice it has a single ps/2 port available. For mouse or
keyboard, not both....
Showing results 1 to 25 of 43