Showing results 1 to 25 of 93
Search took 1.96 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: John Weiss
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 2nd 08, 10:49 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 3
Posted By John Weiss
DDR3 or DDR2 memory help

"Gabriel Knight" wrote...
Hi im not sure what to buy I have two mobos to choose from:

GA-X48-DS5 with DDR2 ram x4 slots or
GA-X48T-DQ6 with DDR3 ram x4...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 1st 08, 09:10 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 3
Posted By John Weiss
Video board temperature

"John B. Smith" wrote...
I'm about 2 months into running my first home-built pc. I downloaded
the program SpeedFan today and discovered my EVGA nVidea GeForce9800
is the...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 1st 08, 09:08 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 3
Posted By John Weiss
Hard Drive

"sal" wrote...
Hello Thanks For the help on the HD issuse. But my most in important
question is If I install and it has a Virus on will it infected my
other HD and...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 1st 08, 09:04 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 12
Posted By John Weiss
Can I "REALLY" build a good computer for less-then $800 ? Is this possible ??

"Rarius" wrote...

Pay attention to this part....
For gaming purposes you would be better served by buying a faster dual
core than a slower quad core.

I must...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 6th 08, 01:51 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 8
Posted By John Weiss
D-Link driver problem

"tpow" wrote...

My OS is XP Pro.

The chipset is Ralink but I tried both inf files with same result.

Not to worry, I will continue to let windows driver run the...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 6th 08, 01:52 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 20
Posted By John Weiss
agp motherboard

"dilbert firestorm" wrote...

so, what is the ":X" called? PCI Extended?

64-bit.
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 17th 08, 08:14 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 3
Posted By John Weiss
intel cpu's

"medico" wrote...

Have just aquuired an intel motherboard (Intel D975XBX 304 Core 2 Duo
Quad Extreme Motherboard) and I am now looking for a suitable cpu.

Looking...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 16th 08, 03:59 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 6
Posted By John Weiss
multi core question

"corky" wrotega...
What OS's even use multi-core cpu? Will me XP do that? Any linux?

Win NT3.x (badly), NT4, 2000, XP Pro, Vista. Probably most Linux
varieties,...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 11th 08, 12:06 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 8
Posted By John Weiss
Getting the most speed from two hard drives?

"Mark" wrote...

Win XP barfed on an update at one point, breaking the RAID 0 array on my
machine. While I had recent data backups, rebuilding the system was...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 29th 08, 08:55 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By John Weiss
Future proofing a system

wrote...
My parents want to buy a new computer, and I'm wondering what CPU they
should get.

They have used their current Windows 98 computer for 8 years now,...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 19th 08, 07:58 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 30
Posted By John Weiss
First post: Help with pro-sumer homebuilt desktop upgrade

Manga27 wrote:

A nice 22" monitor would be nice to go alongside my tablet monitor -
any suggestions?

I've been very happy with my Samsung 193P and 244T. Make sure you go for
the higher-end...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 19th 08, 12:02 AM Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 19
Posted By John Weiss
Gigabyte MB with video?

"Davy" wrote:

I am coming round to buying a Gigabyte board rather than my initial
choice Intel.

The P35 chipset looks about right for my business,...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 18th 08, 11:51 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 30
Posted By John Weiss
First post: Help with pro-sumer homebuilt desktop upgrade

"Manga27" wrote...

[2 posts combined]

The reason I've been bent on a 64-bit system, is that I wanted to get
above 4GB RAM. The 2GB / Dual Core system I have now is...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 18th 08, 11:21 PM Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 10
Posted By John Weiss
Any point in having a 1333Mhz motherboard with DDR2 800?

"Davy" wrote...
Some of you will have seen in previous posts that I am struggling to
choose
a motherboard. I am now attracted to the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 -...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 9th 08, 07:21 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 12
Posted By John Weiss
Descent place to buy stuff for a system

"John" wrote...
I want to build a mid-range system, any pointers as to where I can buy the
stuff? Thanks a lot...

On line, newegg.com is likely the best place with the...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 9th 08, 07:19 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 13
Posted By John Weiss
an idiot building a computer

"DevilsPGD" wrote...

Not right now -- Intel is cheaper, faster, and run cooler (meaning
they're using less power, so cheaper to operate)

I believe you'll find...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 5th 08, 08:52 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 10
Posted By John Weiss
Upgrading laptop hard drive

"DonC" wrote...

eSATA external hard drives are much faster than USB 2.0 .

With a laptop, you can get an eSATA ExpressCard, into
which you can plug your...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 5th 08, 03:36 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 10
Posted By John Weiss
Upgrading laptop hard drive

"DonC" wrote...

But.... if he's running out of space shouldn't he add more than 20GB?
I'd recommend going for the 120GB version of the same drive for only $30
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 4th 08, 08:34 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 10
Posted By John Weiss
Upgrading laptop hard drive

"OhioGuy" wrote...
I've got a ~ 16 month old Dell Inspiron 1300 Laptop that has a 60 GB
hard drive. (actually gives me about 50 GB of true space) Lately, this
small size has...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 9th 08, 05:49 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 8
Posted By John Weiss
New build - no display on monitor

"BIGEYE" wrote...
Got my pc built with the following components:

Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R Socket 775 8 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Go Stepping...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 28th 08, 07:18 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 10
Posted By John Weiss
recommendations for quiet ATX power supply?

"Brolin Empey" wrote...
I need a quieter ATX power supply for my Socket A PC. Currently, I
have a Cooler Master RP-500-PCAR.

Antec Earthwatts 500.
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 4th 08, 11:08 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Replies: 48
Posted By John Weiss
Should I go Dual Core or Quad Core? Intel C2 DUO E6850 vs. Quad-Core Q6600

"Fred" wrote...
What about the new Intel Penryn range due out soon. Have you considered
one of them?

If you always wait to consider a computer part "due out soon," you'll...
Forum: General January 4th 08, 11:08 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Replies: 47
Posted By John Weiss
Should I go Dual Core or Quad Core? Intel C2 DUO E6850 vs. Quad-Core Q6600

"Fred" wrote...
What about the new Intel Penryn range due out soon. Have you considered
one of them?

If you always wait to consider a computer part "due out soon," you'll...
Forum: Nvidia Videocards January 4th 08, 11:08 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Replies: 6
Posted By John Weiss
Should I go Dual Core or Quad Core? Intel C2 DUO E6850 vs. Quad-Core Q6600

"Fred" wrote...
What about the new Intel Penryn range due out soon. Have you considered
one of them?

If you always wait to consider a computer part "due out soon," you'll...
Forum: Ati Videocards January 4th 08, 11:08 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati