Showing results 1 to 25 of 255
Search took 0.84 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Mike Walsh
Forum: General January 30th 08, 06:52 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 4
Posted By Mike Walsh
Dell raid questions

It is best to create a RAID array using disks with same size empty partitions. Create the array and then install your operating system. The dire warning is for people who have a disk with an OS...
Forum: General January 28th 08, 03:27 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 8
Posted By Mike Walsh
Wireless card IP and DNS is getting reset

You need to change the TCP/IP properties on the PC. Set the default gateway to 192.168.1.1 (under the advanced tab). Set the DNS servers to 68.94.156.1 and 69.227.255.30
Instead of specifying the DNS...
Forum: General January 26th 08, 07:40 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 4
Posted By Mike Walsh
Sound Card and USB headset

sandy58 wrote:

On Jan 26, 6:35 am, Mike Walsh wrote:
My sister's sound card suddenly stopped working. Nothing is muted and reinstalling the sound card did not fix the...
Forum: General January 26th 08, 04:51 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 4
Posted By Mike Walsh
Sound Card and USB headset

kony wrote:

On Sat, 26 Jan 2008 01:35:22 -0500, Mike Walsh
wrote:

My sister's sound card suddenly stopped working.
Nothing is muted and reinstalling the...
Forum: General January 26th 08, 06:35 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 4
Posted By Mike Walsh
Sound Card and USB headset

My sister's sound card suddenly stopped working. Nothing is muted and reinstalling the sound card did not fix the problem. She tried a different set of speakers and they did not work. She also has a...
Forum: General January 18th 08, 04:44 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 4
Posted By Mike Walsh
Anyine advise on PC problem (seems to fail MemTest) ?

Memtest should run on any PC without those symptoms. The problem is probably unrelated to memtest. Maybe a bad power supply or motherboard.

Jethro wrote:

Hi guys,

I inherited an old 3 Ghz...
Forum: General January 17th 08, 04:11 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 1
Posted By Mike Walsh
Question Regarding PC700 & PC800 Memory

It depends on how much memory his OS/applications use. A WinXP Home installation with just a browser, word processor etc. will run fine with 640 MB, and adding slower memory would slow the system,...
Forum: General January 14th 08, 02:26 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 17
Posted By Mike Walsh
Grounding

Many people recommend that the PC be unplugged. This is primarily because when the PC is "switched off" there can still be power on the motherboard. It is better to leave the PC plugged in so that it...
Forum: General January 13th 08, 05:13 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 3
Posted By Mike Walsh
Removing a dual boot OS from the MBR

Peter Olcott wrote:

I am trying to make my Toshiba Portege 3440 CT laptop boot
from its external CD-ROM drive. I have already tried all of
the obvious things such as configuring BIOS to boot...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 13th 08, 05:13 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Peter Olcott wrote:

I am trying to make my Toshiba Portege 3440 CT laptop boot
from its external CD-ROM drive. I have already tried all of
the obvious things such as configuring BIOS to boot...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 9th 08, 07:17 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt
Replies: 19
Posted By Mike Walsh
Buffered and Registered Memory: Is it worth the expense?

Most home PCs don't need registered / buffered memory. My main home PC has 2 DIMMs with 9 memory chips on each DIMM and it work fine. I have seen PCs at work with 4 DIMMs with 36 memory chips on each...
Forum: General January 9th 08, 07:17 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt
Replies: 7
Posted By Mike Walsh
Buffered and Registered Memory: Is it worth the expense?

Most home PCs don't need registered / buffered memory. My main home PC has 2 DIMMs with 9 memory chips on each DIMM and it work fine. I have seen PCs at work with 4 DIMMs with 36 memory chips on each...
Forum: General December 26th 07, 03:22 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 1
Posted By Mike Walsh
Can I Run This Hyper-Threading CPU In My Supposed Non HTMotherboard?

You can run any Hyper-Thread capable CPU without Hyper-Threading enabled. The BIOS and motherboard do not need to support Hyper-Threading.

Deke wrote:

Here's the scenario:

My motherboard...
Forum: General December 21st 07, 06:32 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 11
Posted By Mike Walsh
Power supply Wattage

The components with the highest power requirements are the CPU and 3D video cards. In an older computer (before the power hungry Pentium 4) with a 2D video card 250 watts is adequate. In a newer PC...
Forum: General December 20th 07, 04:35 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 17
Posted By Mike Walsh
Msdos Boot CD 1.4 MB limit

Using Nero express ver. 5 I can either:
Create a boot CD using a floppy as the boot image. The boot partition will be 1.4 MB and the rest of the CD can be accessed as a normal CD, which require CD...
Forum: General December 12th 07, 05:48 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 9
Posted By Mike Walsh
D-Link DGL-4300 Wireless Router Settings Mysteriously Nuked

This does not surprise me after the experience I had with a D-Link DI524 router. It did not lose its settings but it would often lock up when connecting or disconnecting wireless PCs. A replacement...
Forum: General November 27th 07, 04:33 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 3
Posted By Mike Walsh
ram failure?

Rookie wrote:

richard h wrote in news:daU2j.1332$WJ3.154@newsfe4-
gui.ntli.net:

I have (a friend with) an a60 laptop (toshiba I think) which is only
reporting...
Forum: General November 21st 07, 06:15 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 3
Posted By Mike Walsh
seagate HD spindown prevention windows

Disable power saving options in the BIOS.

"news.virgin.net" wrote:

Hi,
I have a old box running Win2000 for data acquisition with an old 20Gb
Seagate ST320423A drive in it 24/7. I've...
Forum: General November 12th 07, 04:28 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 4
Posted By Mike Walsh
Sudden Power Off and Reboot

Reboots can be caused by processor overheating, bad memory, bad power supply, even a bad motherboard. Removing case panels can cause the motherboard and disk drives to run hotter because the case...
Forum: General November 12th 07, 04:16 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 5
Posted By Mike Walsh
minimum hardware for watching movies

A new video card will not help. Video codecs are processor intensive. If I recall correctly the minimum processor speed for MPEG decoding is about 400 Mhz. You might improve performance by using a...
Forum: General November 12th 07, 04:06 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 4
Posted By Mike Walsh
Motherboard change now have two windows XP

Boot from a WinXP CD and do a repair installation on drive C. You might need a retail version CD to do this. If you want to do a clean install you could wipe the C drive clean and do a restore to...
Forum: General November 9th 07, 04:46 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 16
Posted By Mike Walsh
Basic question about processor speeds

As others have said, 256 MB memory is barely adequate for WinXP. You need at least 512 MB to do any image editing.
A Core 2 Duo is about 50% faster than a Pentium 4 at the same clock speed so you...
Forum: General November 3rd 07, 03:14 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 3
Posted By Mike Walsh
Keeps resetting

How far does it go before it resets? It probably gives an error message, which might not be on the screen long enough for you to read.
Boot from the floppy and run Sys A: C: You should then be able...
Forum: General October 27th 07, 03:56 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 8
Posted By Mike Walsh
USB Speed

Gerard Bok wrote:

On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 03:04:18 -0700, wrote:

500G usb hdd connected to a P3 with USB 1 only is only managing to run
at 1,5M transfer rate, which is...
Forum: General Hardware October 25th 07, 06:31 PM Posted to comp.sys.mac.system,comp.sys.mac.comm,comp.hardware
Replies: 36
Posted By Mike Walsh
Are lien-filters and cables generic or modem-specific?

All are generic except the power supply.
If the power supply has a label specifying voltage and current output you could use it with some other device with similar power requirements.

Newbie...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 255