Showing results 1 to 25 of 219
Search took 0.28 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Nate Edel
Forum: Intel August 10th 10, 09:40 PM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 3
Posted By Nate Edel
Toms benches Atom against P4

Robert Myers wrote:
Somewhere along the way, Linux acquired the same kind of bloat as
Windows, so that I finally gave one of my P4 boxes away because it was
just too...
Forum: Intel June 15th 10, 10:43 PM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 11
Posted By Nate Edel
Worth upgrading?

Robert Myers wrote:
On Jun 11, 3:41Â*pm, Mac Cool wrote:
Per multitasking, I imagine that's more hard disk speed and memory than
cpu.

My eight...
Forum: Intel June 15th 10, 10:35 PM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 11
Posted By Nate Edel
Worth upgrading?

Mac Cool wrote:
Yousuf Khan:
I think AMD systems will probably make a quantum leap advance in
stability nowadays as AMD itself is now manufacturing all of the
chipsets...
Forum: Intel June 11th 10, 09:13 AM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 11
Posted By Nate Edel
Worth upgrading?

Mac Cool wrote:
Athlon 64 X2 5400+
2GB RAM, WinXP

I want to switch over to an intel processor and I'm considering the i3 530
or the i5 750; big difference I know. But I've...
Forum: Intel June 7th 10, 04:38 AM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 16
Posted By Nate Edel
New unlocked Intel CPUs hit the market, for cheap

Robert Myers wrote:
1. Why would someone read comp.sys.intel for advice about buying AMD
processors?

Is comp.sys.intel specifically for discussion of Intel products, or...
Forum: Intel May 17th 10, 08:06 PM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 2
Posted By Nate Edel
what is the best/fastest consumer CPU out right now?

InteLarrabee wrote:
i7 Core something?

Fastest (non-overclocked) is either the i7-980X (for most-things) or the
i5-680 (for single-threaded tasks):
Forum: General May 12th 10, 09:23 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Replies: 11
Posted By Nate Edel
Windows 7 oem vs retail

MCheu wrote:
On 10/04/2010 12:02 AM, Robert Myers wrote:
There is actually at least one more difference and it's a pretty big
deal -- or at least, I expect it to become a...
Forum: Intel May 11th 10, 09:58 PM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 4
Posted By Nate Edel
Several ATOM links

Bill Davidsen wrote:
Nate Edel wrote:
What something else is a better question; embedded PowerPC and MIPS are
both nonexistent in the mobile/smartphone space but , and...
Forum: Intel May 9th 10, 05:04 AM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 4
Posted By Nate Edel
Several ATOM links

Bill Davidsen wrote:
I found all this stuff while researching a "What if Apple buys ARM and stops
feeding other smart phone vendors?" The answer seems to be that it's not...
Forum: Intel May 7th 10, 12:25 AM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 6
Posted By Nate Edel
Intel D510 Atom cpu

Zeppo wrote:
I too have an N280 notebook, the Asus H1005 (last years model with XP). I
sue this for vacations and travel for email and web browsing and it works
great. I...
Forum: Intel May 5th 10, 06:51 PM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 6
Posted By Nate Edel
Intel D510 Atom cpu

Bill Davidsen wrote:
Zeppo wrote:
I'm looking to build a really small inexpensive email and web browsing
box for my brother, an autistic person who lives a very small...
Forum: General May 5th 10, 06:40 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Replies: 11
Posted By Nate Edel
Windows 7 oem vs retail

JohnKSmith wrote:
'willbill[_2_ Wrote:
Can the less expensive oem version be
installed by a DIY person like me?

Yes. Just be sure your computer is...
Forum: Intel April 20th 10, 12:51 AM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 10
Posted By Nate Edel
Upgrade suggestions please :]

Robert Myers wrote:
On Apr 19, 3:00Â*pm, (Nate Edel) wrote:
That depends; if your games are CPU bound, you will notice the 25% speed
bump quite a...
Forum: Intel April 19th 10, 08:01 PM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 10
Posted By Nate Edel
Upgrade suggestions please :]

Robert Myers wrote:
If I had a Core 2 Duo (and I actually do have some), I'd be inclined
to stand pat, short of moving all the way up to Core i7.

For serious gamers, the...
Forum: Intel April 19th 10, 08:00 PM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 10
Posted By Nate Edel
Upgrade suggestions please :]

Robert Myers wrote:
On Apr 17, 4:16Â*pm, (Nate Edel) wrote:
Ditto on the overclocking the CPU, although it's less likely to help
with FPS in newer...
Forum: Intel April 17th 10, 09:16 PM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 10
Posted By Nate Edel
Upgrade suggestions please :]

Jim wrote:
"Manticora" wrote
Hey guys, i built this computer a year or 2 ago, and im starting to get
some low FPS in the new games...
Forum: General April 13th 10, 08:44 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Replies: 11
Posted By Nate Edel
Windows 7 oem vs retail

Ar Q wrote:
If it is a fresh installation (not upgrade from Windows Vista, and it is
one time thing (you won't install on another machine using this copy),
you...
Forum: Intel April 13th 10, 02:30 AM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 4
Posted By Nate Edel
Which CPU?

Yousuf Khan wrote:
I'd never suggest going for anything that's top of the line right now.
Wait for it to become middle-of-the-road and you'll get much better
Forum: Intel April 13th 10, 02:12 AM Posted to comp.sys.intel,alt.folklore.computers
Replies: 50
Posted By Nate Edel
IA64

In comp.sys.intel Quadibloc wrote:
Also, their pro desktop is perhaps the only computer with two CPUs on
the motherboard easily available to the consumer. So, performance
Forum: Intel April 8th 10, 09:10 PM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 4
Posted By Nate Edel
Which CPU?

wrote:
I'm getting ready to custom order a new system to replace a P-4, 3.2Ghz
computer I've been using since I built it six years ago. I want to get
the best I can...
Forum: Intel April 7th 10, 10:10 PM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 9
Posted By Nate Edel
i5 vs i7

Robert Myers wrote:
What I would like to know is: is there anything about the Core i7-720M
that makes the Windows 7 experience faster/snappier than the Core
Forum: Intel April 7th 10, 10:08 PM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 9
Posted By Nate Edel
i5 vs i7

Proboscis wrote:
How does the Core i5-520M compare to the Core i7-720M? The former is 2.4GHz
and the latter 1.6GHz. The latter seems to be more expensive.

Any...
Forum: Intel April 7th 10, 09:52 PM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 8
Posted By Nate Edel
CPU Specs

wrote:
Thanks. Interesting that it too four or five days for any replies to show
up on my reader, and the original post never did show up. Anyway, any
opinions on the i7...
Forum: Intel March 21st 10, 07:49 PM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 8
Posted By Nate Edel
CPU Specs

wrote:
While looking at Intel i7 CPU's I see names like Bloomfield, Clarkdale,
Gulftown, Prescott. What do they mean, and what's the difference bewteen chips
with the...
Forum: Intel February 13th 10, 01:18 AM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 12
Posted By Nate Edel
numa question for xeon 5500

Sven B?chle wrote:
I am wondering what the maximum malloc size is, when working in a dual
5500 setup. That is, two xeon 5500 (nahalem), each having some amount of
ram...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 219