Showing results 1 to 25 of 103
Search took 0.04 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Mike Walsh[_2_]
Forum: General June 24th 09, 01:26 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 9
Posted By Mike Walsh[_2_]
Which is the best chip for a programmer?

The Core 2 Duo is far superior to the older dual core processors; much faster at the same clock speed, larger cache, etc..

" wrote:

Which is the best chip for a...
Forum: General June 16th 09, 12:56 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 4
Posted By Mike Walsh[_2_]
Connection To Secure WiFi For WinMe?

Both the adapter and the router support WEP encryption. Look in the user guide at http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/WRT160N

Gary Brown wrote:

I set up our WiFi (Linksys WRT160N) to...
Forum: General June 15th 09, 04:24 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 4
Posted By Mike Walsh[_2_]
Connection To Secure WiFi For WinMe?

Add a WiFi card in the external expansion card slot. The WiFi card will come with encryption software. All will support WEP encryption; many do not support WPA encryption.

Gary Brown wrote:

Forum: General June 2nd 09, 05:49 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 18
Posted By Mike Walsh[_2_]
RTC accuracy

The OS and software will affect the clock time. Most programs will not affect clock time, but some older programs would cause the clock to lose time when they were running.

pawihte wrote:

My...
Forum: General June 1st 09, 06:46 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt
Replies: 7
Posted By Mike Walsh[_2_]
Trying to Recover a Crashed System

If you have Windows installed on two drives you can backup one of the Windows installations while running the other. (This won't work with Vista because it restricts access to Windows files even if...
Forum: General May 31st 09, 10:11 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt
Replies: 7
Posted By Mike Walsh[_2_]
Trying to Recover a Crashed System

Try this syntax:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT="Win2K on D: Drive" /fastdetect

RFR wrote:

I had a box with two Win2K SP4 installations on different HDs. The C drive
developed a...
Forum: General May 25th 09, 04:40 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 4
Posted By Mike Walsh[_2_]
PC clock suddenly incredibly slow

Nate Nagel wrote:

Hi all,

have a Gateway laptop, P4 processor... this is actually the second
laptop of the exact same model that I've had (busted my old one, bought
another on eBay,...
Forum: General May 9th 09, 06:48 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 7
Posted By Mike Walsh[_2_]
Newegg Return Question

kony wrote:

On the other hand, I have to wonder how USPS cost so much
less, unless the shipment was not shipped cheapest way by
another courrier.

The USPS has letter carriers going to...
Forum: General April 17th 09, 05:05 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 1
Posted By Mike Walsh[_2_]
slow down ethernet in widows

Configure the ethernet adapter to run at 10 Mb/sec half duplex.

hehehe wrote:

Hello!!

Im looking for solution to slow down ethernet conneciton in windows maybe
program or sometnigh...
Forum: General April 8th 09, 06:14 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 8
Posted By Mike Walsh[_2_]
making a restore CD

The only place I have seen the tools to do that is with Vista. I have so far avoided having Vista on my own PCs and can't vouch for how it works.

" wrote:

I heard that if you...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 8th 09, 06:09 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 35
Posted By Mike Walsh[_2_]
For cooling, which is better - open case or sealed case with fans?

A closed case with fans will keep the hardware cooler because air is forced through the case instead of relying on convection to keep things cool. My main computer has two exhaust fans and no pusher....
Forum: General April 8th 09, 06:09 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 34
Posted By Mike Walsh[_2_]
For cooling, which is better - open case or sealed case with fans?

A closed case with fans will keep the hardware cooler because air is forced through the case instead of relying on convection to keep things cool. My main computer has two exhaust fans and no pusher....
Forum: General April 1st 09, 04:03 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 8
Posted By Mike Walsh[_2_]
wd 500Gig USB problem

The external housing might not support a 500 GB drive, e.g. mine supports up to only 320 GB.

Hugh Sutherland wrote:

I have a WD 500G HD and when connected to the IDE works great. I have
Forum: General March 22nd 09, 09:34 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 3
Posted By Mike Walsh[_2_]
Does This Make Sense? Hard Drive Allocation

wrote:

On Sat, 21 Mar 2009 20:42:48 -0400, in alt.comp.hardware you wrote:

That tells me the stat and the 120gb drives have primary partitions,
while all three...
Forum: General March 3rd 09, 04:44 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 5
Posted By Mike Walsh[_2_]
PC Continuously Reboots

wrote:

On Mar 2, 9:50 am, wrote:
When I boot up my PC, it reaches the part where it shows the Windows
XP screen, and then it reboots again by...
Forum: General February 26th 09, 02:02 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 26
Posted By Mike Walsh[_2_]
Grounding an ungrounded outlet

Skeleton Man wrote:

Hi all,

I just discovered today that none of the outlets in my house are grounded.
The house is literally 100 years old, and the wiring probably 50 years. At
first I...
Forum: General February 21st 09, 04:31 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 5
Posted By Mike Walsh[_2_]
Pictures VS Desktop

Change the tool bars etc. to a darker color in display settings - appearance - advanced. Try changing the settings for title bar, window borders, fonts, etc..

"Bob D." wrote:

Yes, I have three...
Forum: General February 21st 09, 04:09 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 8
Posted By Mike Walsh[_2_]
Changing a Graphics Card

Tiziano wrote:

on 2/14/2009 2:19 PM Tiziano wrote the following:
Hi. When changing a graphics card, is it advisable to first uninstall
the old driver and then remove the old graphics...
Forum: General Hardware February 15th 09, 09:59 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.hardware
Replies: 8
Posted By Mike Walsh[_2_]
ClearType font smoothing is not working correctly

Peter Olcott wrote:

I bought a new ViewSonic VA2226w monitor and text on the
screen appears more blurry than on my conventional aspect
ratio ViewSonic monitor. Is this because the 1680 x...
Forum: General February 15th 09, 09:59 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware,comp.hardware

Peter Olcott wrote:

I bought a new ViewSonic VA2226w monitor and text on the
screen appears more blurry than on my conventional aspect
ratio ViewSonic monitor. Is this because the 1680 x...
Forum: General February 15th 09, 01:31 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 8
Posted By Mike Walsh[_2_]
Changing a Graphics Card

First switch to default VGA settings (lowest resolution and color depth). That will allow you to uninstall the drivers for the old card. Turn off the PC and replace the card. When you power up, the...
Forum: General February 13th 09, 05:59 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 14
Posted By Mike Walsh[_2_]
System testing software?

CBFalconer wrote:

Mike Walsh wrote:
Jon Danniken wrote:
"larry moe 'n curly" wrote:

I would first measure all the voltages with a _digital_ meter
because a bad power...
Forum: General February 12th 09, 05:00 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 14
Posted By Mike Walsh[_2_]
System testing software?

Jon Danniken wrote:

"larry moe 'n curly" wrote:

I would first measure all the voltages with a _digital_ meter because
a bad power supply can cause all kinds of trouble.

What's...
Forum: General February 12th 09, 02:22 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 9
Posted By Mike Walsh[_2_]
Compaq Presario 2100 - CPU is 55 Degrees Celcius when idling - Isthis normal temperature?

There have been many posts in this NG stating that 55 deg.C is normal.
The only PC I have with a temperature monitor runs at about 35 deg.C (much cooler than most people report). My laptops's...
Forum: General February 12th 09, 02:08 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 4
Posted By Mike Walsh[_2_]
Sata Hard Drive Installation

wrote:

I must be doing something wrong - or I have not done something that I
need to do.

I bought a new ASUS M3A78-CM motherboard that has several SATA slots
on it. ...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 103