Showing results 1 to 25 of 51
Search took 0.03 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Steve Cousins
Forum: Storage & Hardrives February 21st 08, 05:16 PM Posted to comp.arch.storage
Replies: 21
Posted By Steve Cousins
Open source storage

Lon wrote:

Steve Cousins wrote:

Sorry to go off on a tangent but I think it is somewhat relevant
since S was talking about Enterprise storage: How common is it for
enterprise storage...
Forum: Storage & Hardrives February 20th 08, 04:13 PM Posted to comp.arch.storage
Replies: 21
Posted By Steve Cousins
Open source storage

Bill Todd wrote:

There's nothing there that even remotely hints at data corruption on
power loss: the defined semantics of any normal Unix-style file
system (including ZFS) specifies that...
Forum: Storage & Hardrives August 23rd 07, 10:12 PM Posted to comp.arch.storage
Replies: 6
Posted By Steve Cousins
Networked raid storage and NFS

JJ wrote:

Hello,

I've been looking for an inexpensive networked storage solution using
4 500 GB SATA hard disks in a 4 bay enclosure that supports raid-5,
giving me 1.5 TB of...
Forum: Storage (alternative) June 19th 07, 08:39 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 2
Posted By Steve Cousins
NTFS drive, Windows 2000 and "Write Signature"

Eric Gisin wrote:

Yes, you need the signature before a drive can be used on Win 2K+.
I suspect they zapped it with fdisk/mbr, causing the problems.

Thanks Eric. And putting the signature on...
Forum: Storage (alternative) June 19th 07, 04:44 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 14
Posted By Steve Cousins
7200rpm 2.5" harddisk

Man-wai Chang wrote:

So hard to find these days.. why? Got problems? There are plenty of
5400rpm though.

They aren't hard to find.
Forum: Storage (alternative) June 18th 07, 06:25 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 2
Posted By Steve Cousins
NTFS drive, Windows 2000 and "Write Signature"

A researcher gave me a 320 GB SATA drive from a Windows XP machine that
he wants to have access to. I put it in a Windows 2000 machine and in
"Disk Management" it shows up as "Unknown". The only...
Forum: Storage (alternative) June 14th 07, 06:27 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 25
Posted By Steve Cousins
SATA JBODs for backup-to-disk

Nik Simpson wrote:

Steve Cousins wrote:

Arno Wagner wrote:

You're going to quote Wikipedia to me as an authorative source?
Well, I can show you a site just as authorative...
Forum: Storage (alternative) June 14th 07, 04:01 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Arno Wagner wrote:

You're going to quote Wikipedia to me as an authorative source? Well, I
can show you a site just as authorative that says differently.

No. I am giving you one...
Forum: Storage (alternative) April 16th 07, 06:13 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage
Replies: 37
Posted By Steve Cousins
bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!

Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:

Arno Wagner wrote:

http://www.satadrives.com/sadrcafor4sa.html

Hmm. I hope they improved their manufacturing. I had two of
these with a PCB manufaactured...
Forum: Storage & Hardrives April 16th 07, 06:13 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage

Rita Ä Berkowitz wrote:

Arno Wagner wrote:

http://www.satadrives.com/sadrcafor4sa.html

Hmm. I hope they improved their manufacturing. I had two of
these with a PCB manufaactured...
Forum: Storage & Hardrives March 21st 07, 07:34 PM Posted to comp.arch.storage
Replies: 1
Posted By Steve Cousins
Reading DLT7000 tapes on SDLT drive?

Chris wrote:

I've seen product literature that claims SDLT drives are read-
compatible with tapes written by the 35/70gb DLT7000.

My SDLT 160/320 drive won't even load the tapes. (software not...
Forum: Storage (alternative) March 9th 07, 05:08 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 3
Posted By Steve Cousins
cheap NAS alternative?

wrote:

Hi,

It seems that everytime i'm working wireless on my laptop, the file i
need is on a usb drive somewhere in the house so i can't get to it.
In other words:...
Forum: Storage (alternative) February 9th 07, 03:49 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 5
Posted By Steve Cousins
Anyone know of a reasonably priced external enclosure that willhold 4-6 EIDE drives?

Doghouse Riley wrote:

I have several external drives which I've installed in individual
cheapo external enclosures. Would like to consolidate them into a
single casing as the cable/power supply...
Forum: Storage & Hardrives January 23rd 07, 02:40 PM Posted to comp.arch.storage
Replies: 9
Posted By Steve Cousins
carrier-less sata docks

Nik Simpson wrote:

I have a 4-drive hot swap unit that occupies 3x5.25" bays. The
carriers come with with unit. You can see it at:

http://www.satadrives.com/sadrcafor4sa.html

I'm very...
Forum: Storage (alternative) January 22nd 07, 03:21 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 6
Posted By Steve Cousins
Best RMA process?

wrote:

Which hard drive manufacturer has the best RMA process? (The worst
would've been maxtor, btw).

Actually, I have had good luck with Maxtor's RMA process. It was...
Forum: Storage (alternative) January 18th 07, 06:34 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 2
Posted By Steve Cousins
A Simple Question To Which I Can Find No Answer

wltdnfaded wrote:

Hello All. I have just recently purchased a new computer, a home-built
Frankenstein (well, the dudes at the store assembled it for me). All I
want to know is one thing: Can I...
Forum: Storage (alternative) January 10th 07, 03:01 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 8
Posted By Steve Cousins
LTO-3 tapes - supplying data fast enough

Rob Nicholson wrote:

I don't know about performance of backing up the types of data that you
are talking about but I backup in a Linux environment to a LTO-3 library
(Overland Neo...
Forum: Storage (alternative) January 9th 07, 04:13 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 8
Posted By Steve Cousins
LTO-3 tapes - supplying data fast enough

Rob Nicholson wrote:

Its time to look at upgrading our tape backup system from two LTO-1 external
drives. We're considering a 8 cartridge LTO-3 system which gives us
considerable future...
Forum: Storage (alternative) January 4th 07, 04:40 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 25
Posted By Steve Cousins
Are DDR and DDR2 Rams compatible ?

Jason Stacy wrote:

Currently I have a mainboard with two DDR Ram modules:

512 MB PC2700 DDR 133Mhz
and
512 MB PC3200 DDR 166Mhz

Can I use these RAMs in a new mainboard which has...
Forum: Storage (alternative) January 4th 07, 04:27 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Jason Stacy wrote:

Currently I have a mainboard with two DDR Ram modules:

512 MB PC2700 DDR 133Mhz
and
512 MB PC3200 DDR 166Mhz

Can I use these RAMs in a new mainboard which has (only) DDR2...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 22nd 06, 04:31 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.linux.hardware
Replies: 13
Posted By Steve Cousins
A few questions before assembling Linux 7.5TB RAID 5 array

Yeechang Lee wrote:

Steve Cousins wrote:

Make sure you match the file system chunk size to the RAID stripe
size too.

Forum: Storage (alternative) December 22nd 06, 04:31 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.linux.hardware

Yeechang Lee wrote:

Steve Cousins wrote:

Make sure you match the file system chunk size to the RAID stripe
size too.

Forum: Storage & Hardrives December 22nd 06, 04:31 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.linux.hardware

Yeechang Lee wrote:

Steve Cousins wrote:

Make sure you match the file system chunk size to the RAID stripe
size too.

Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 21st 06, 08:52 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.linux.hardware
Replies: 13
Posted By Steve Cousins
A few questions before assembling Linux 7.5TB RAID 5 array

Yeechang Lee wrote:

A few performance-related questions:

* What chunk size should I use? In previous RAID 5 arrays I've built
for similar purposes I've used 512K. For the setup I'm...
Forum: Storage (alternative) December 21st 06, 08:52 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.linux.hardware