Showing results 1 to 14 of 14
Search took 0.00 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Grant Taylor
Forum: Storage (alternative) May 14th 20, 04:15 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 8
Posted By Grant Taylor
Do you think the days of the hard drive is finally over?

On 5/13/20 6:17 PM, Yousuf Khan wrote:
So Seagate and other makers are getting ready to introduce 20 TB HDD's
to the market. According to Seagate, its fastest drives are capable of
sustained...
Forum: Storage (alternative) December 2nd 19, 11:15 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 1
Posted By Grant Taylor
Should I Secure Erase my SSD before sending it back for warranty?

On 12/2/19 8:13 AM, Yousuf Khan wrote:
The reason I ask is that the utility that came with the SSD says that
there is a possibility that if you use the secure erase feature that it
will lockup...
Forum: Storage (alternative) November 25th 19, 03:15 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 5
Posted By Grant Taylor
Xpost from cctalk: Disposing: IBM Microchannel cards, for free

On 11/24/19 2:32 PM, Jerry Peters wrote:
Why? Unless you have an actual IBM MF with a 3174 etc to connect them
to they're completely useless.

There are a number of people that have IBM...
Forum: Storage (alternative) November 23rd 19, 11:18 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 5
Posted By Grant Taylor
Xpost from cctalk: Disposing: IBM Microchannel cards, for free

On 11/23/19 2:34 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
I think the guy just doesn't want to pay the fee to dump the old
stuff at a hazards disposal site.

There are actually a number of hobbyists that like MCA...
Forum: Storage (alternative) November 23rd 19, 04:23 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 5
Posted By Grant Taylor
Xpost from cctalk: Disposing: IBM Microchannel cards, for free

On 11/23/19 8:22 AM, Grant Taylor wrote:
Guy sent the following post to the cctalk mailing list:

Guy's email address from said posting is guykd (at) optusnet (dot) com
(dot) au.
Forum: Storage (alternative) November 23rd 19, 04:22 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 5
Posted By Grant Taylor
Xpost from cctalk: Disposing: IBM Microchannel cards, for free

Guy sent the following post to the cctalk mailing list:

--8--8--8--8--8--8--8--8--8--8--8--8--8--8--8--8--8--8--
I'm clearing out some old stuff. These are free (but you pay...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 13th 19, 05:27 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.os.msdos.misc
Replies: 5
Posted By Grant Taylor
PCI IDE card

On 7/13/19 9:26 AM, T. Ment wrote:
I'm looking at PCI IDE cards on Ebay. I see mostly Promise and Adaptec.
I need one with a BIOS that can boot the drive connected to the card.

Any...
Forum: Storage (alternative) July 3rd 19, 12:10 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 5
Posted By Grant Taylor
S.M.A.R.T. reports bad sectors, but badblocks no errors?

This is a brand-new Seagate drive, so do I return it for replacement, or
assume that the problem is now solved (false alarm perhaps), or wait
Forum: Storage (alternative) July 2nd 19, 10:44 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 5
Posted By Grant Taylor
S.M.A.R.T. reports bad sectors, but badblocks no errors?

Now, after just one more run of badblocks, S.M.A.R.T. reports no errors.
So I assume that now a spare block is in use.

So, the disk likely did have...
Forum: Storage (alternative) July 2nd 19, 07:31 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 5
Posted By Grant Taylor
S.M.A.R.T. reports bad sectors, but badblocks no errors?

On 7/2/19 10:41 AM, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
What should I make of a drive for which S.M.A.R.T. reports 8 bad sectors
(a single 4K block, I assume), but badblocks reports no errors on a
Forum: Storage (alternative) February 22nd 19, 08:42 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 12
Posted By Grant Taylor
"How Reliable are SSDs?"

On 2/21/19 10:50 PM, Mark Perkins wrote:
Ugh! So it's a [WD] blog where the guy cautions *against* using 'drive
writes per day' because it's *not* a good metric for measuring drive
endurance,...
Forum: Storage (alternative) February 22nd 19, 05:08 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 12
Posted By Grant Taylor
"How Reliable are SSDs?"

On 2/21/19 8:59 PM, Mark Perkins wrote:
I've never seen an SSD rated that way. I've seen TBW and "years" (the
latter for warranty purposes), but never what you described. Is there
a specific...
Forum: Storage (alternative) February 22nd 19, 02:31 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 12
Posted By Grant Taylor
"How Reliable are SSDs?"

On 2/21/19 3:19 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
1) do they fail faster than HDDs,

It depends on the workload.

SSDs are write sensitive. So anything that writes a lot of data will
cause them to fail...
Forum: Storage (alternative) January 14th 19, 08:35 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 5
Posted By Grant Taylor
Fast way to wipe an external HDD?

On 1/13/19 10:28 AM, Kirk Bubul wrote:
Question: Is here a good free wipe program that would wipe these external
drives in less than a workday? Once wiped, I will throw these old drives
Showing results 1 to 14 of 14