Showing results 1 to 25 of 141
Search took 3.86 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Rarius
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 25th 09, 05:31 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 15
Posted By Rarius
Network nightmare

NT wrote:
On Sep 23, 12:31 am, Van Chocstraw
wrote:

Do a netstat /all on mint or ipconfig /all in windows and see what ip
address is assigned each...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 25th 09, 10:23 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By Rarius
Need to replace power supply HELP

Tom wrote:
I need to replace my power supply that I purchased several years ago
from Newegg. I need to find a similar product. I need to replace a
Power and cooling Turbo-Cool 510-SLI ATX12V...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 20th 09, 07:20 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 47
Posted By Rarius
Static IP outside of router DHCP range

Smarty wrote:
Thanks to all for replies.

I would very much like to fix the assignments to MAC addresses, since
each of my 8 video clients has a label with the Mac address printed on
it,...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 20th 09, 10:15 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 47
Posted By Rarius
Static IP outside of router DHCP range

Smarty wrote:
I would like to fix the video server IP address to a static IP outside
the range of the Linksys router DHCP server, but still in the same
subnet as the router. Specifically, I...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 18th 09, 11:18 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 7
Posted By Rarius
Budget ATX small system

NT wrote:
On Sep 8, 5:33 pm, Justin wrote:

Somebody in my class is looking for a new machine.
The machine will be used for Office applications, internet...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 17th 09, 09:25 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 7
Posted By Rarius
Memory heat spreaders

Daniel Prince wrote:
If a computer user does not overclock his computer or memory, is
there any reason to use memory heat spreaders? Would they reduce
the chance of memory errors or make the...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 17th 09, 09:23 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 6
Posted By Rarius
Do I need a video card?

Ed Stuart wrote:
Hi,

If I purchase I shuttle PC and only telnet into it, will I need a
video card?

Thanx,
Ed

Even if you only intend to telnet into the machine in normal use, how do
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 12th 09, 09:57 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt
Replies: 16
Posted By Rarius
Cooling suggestions for drive bay in a tower case

brassplyer wrote:
I've got an older tower case with a drive bay for 4 h/d's stacked on
top of each other horizontally - and of course baking each other with
their heat output.

My first...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 8th 09, 09:45 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 7
Posted By Rarius
Budget ATX small system

Justin wrote:
Somebody in my class is looking for a new machine.
The machine will be used for Office applications, internet junk - home
stuff.
I'm thinking an 18 inch monitor, Windows Vista...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 8th 09, 09:30 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By Rarius
AMD Phenom vs. INTEL?

Ian D wrote:
When I priced out my new system last December, I was looking
at the Q9650 and Asus Maximus II motherboard, with 4GB of
1333MHz DDR3. For the heck of it I also priced out an i7...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 3rd 09, 06:16 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
Replies: 30
Posted By Rarius
Minimum spec for a home server

Clint Sharp wrote:
In message , Rarius
writes
The kids look at the same youtube videos over and over it might help
to save...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 2nd 09, 11:54 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By Rarius
The utility of multiple cores with XP Home

Daniel Prince wrote:
Rarius wrote:

If you installed WinXP with a single core CPU, it will have installed
the single-core hardware abstraction layer (HAL). If you...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 2nd 09, 09:16 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By Rarius
The utility of multiple cores with XP Home

Daniel Prince wrote:
If I install a new mother board with two or more cores and run two
CPU intensive programs under Windows XP Home SP3 that are not
written to use multiple cores, will the...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 30th 09, 06:08 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
Replies: 30
Posted By Rarius
Minimum spec for a home server

Is there a particular reason to use Linux rather than Windows? If you
already use Linux then fair enough, but if all your other PCs are
windows, do you really want something different?
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 29th 09, 10:32 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
Replies: 30
Posted By Rarius
Minimum spec for a home server

Mark wrote:
What is the minimum hardware spec for a home server? I have quite a
lot of old kit lying about so I was thinking of making a home server
with some of it.

It would only have...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 22nd 09, 09:05 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 51
Posted By Rarius
Liquid Cooling

Martin Racette wrote:
just look at the pictures of all of those cooler, there is a little
plate that do touch the CPU, but the part where the fan is, is hanging a
few inches above that little...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 21st 09, 03:46 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 51
Posted By Rarius
Liquid Cooling

Martin Racette wrote:
For search engine I used to use Microsoft Live Search, but I can not
find it anymore so I do not use any

Try Bing.com or Yahoo.com search engines. I would also have a...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 20th 09, 08:18 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 51
Posted By Rarius
Liquid Cooling

Martin Racette wrote:
You are saying that the holes are the blue plastic, so the holes are not
available for the new fan, and since there is already a bracket to hold
the fan why can not they...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 20th 09, 12:54 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 51
Posted By Rarius
Liquid Cooling

Marty wrote:
Humidity actually does make a difference. Convective heat transfer
increases with increasing humidity.

True, but the effect is rather minor.

Rarius
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 19th 09, 03:33 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 51
Posted By Rarius
Liquid Cooling

Martin Racette wrote:
Finding review the way you propose is impossible since I do not have Google

You don't have Google? Could you please explain that? Do you not have
web access?

From waht I...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 19th 09, 03:30 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 51
Posted By Rarius
Liquid Cooling

Martin Racette wrote:
Even if my appartment is averaging 26C with about 60% humidity

Yes, even then... My office is currently about 25C (Humitidy makes no
difference to air cooling). My CPU cores...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 18th 09, 07:25 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 51
Posted By Rarius
Liquid Cooling

Martin Racette wrote:
I do not overclock an the case that I am using right now is a
ThermalTake Mozart TX, it is huge and has very good ventilation

If you don't overclock then there is no point...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 16th 09, 01:20 PM Posted to microsoft.public.win2000.general,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 28
Posted By Rarius
Booting with two hard drives in primary channel fails

Ray K wrote:
As an aside: I used a free partitioning program called Easeus Partition
Master 4.0 Home Edition to dice the drive into five partitions. Works quite
well.

May I ask why you have...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 16th 09, 01:14 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 14
Posted By Rarius
Ram Question

Bob wrote:
You sure about the 4 gigs? I always thought it had a 3 gig limit.
And then the stuff you mentioned was deducted from that.

No. The limit is 4GB for all 32bit operating systems...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 15th 09, 12:04 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 13
Posted By Rarius
how hard is it to build a server?

Matt wrote:
I did ask how they wanted the drives configured and they said 3 are in a
RAID5 and one is a hot swap backup drive.

I would query WHY they want RAID5...

Your suggested system will...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 141