Showing results 1 to 25 of 26
Search took 0.03 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Maxim S. Shatskih[_2_]
Forum: Storage & Hardrives November 23rd 12, 03:08 AM Posted to comp.arch.storage
Replies: 1
New SSD to replace the 160G harddrive

Most image backup software titles have the "Hardware Independent Restore" feature, i.e. patching of restored Windows image to be runnable on a new HW.
You can also do this manually, but this is a...
Forum: Storage & Hardrives December 31st 10, 02:47 PM Posted to comp.arch.storage
Replies: 1
passThrough mini filter driver

Can you ask on Windows kernel forums, not on comp.arch.storage?

--
Maxim S. Shatskih
Windows DDK MVP

http://www.storagecraft.com

"srj" wrote in...
Forum: Storage & Hardrives December 13th 10, 10:20 AM Posted to comp.arch.storage
Replies: 11
External Drive Dock to Allow Hotswap SCSI to Attach by USB?

Buy a cheap SATA controller card (like low-end Promise) and SATA drive, install all of this to the w2k machine and go on.

--
Maxim S. Shatskih
Windows DDK...
Replies: 11
External Drive Dock to Allow Hotswap SCSI to Attach by USB?

What is the need in this?

SCSI drives are much more expensive.

So, you do the following:
- turn off the enclosure
- plug the usual SATA drive to it
- turn on the enclosure
-...
Forum: Storage & Hardrives September 10th 10, 10:40 AM Posted to comp.arch.storage
Replies: 1
Flash Drive Related (loading/unloading)

So, I want to know the detail working of Flash Drive(Pen
Drive) i.e when we insert/remove it into/from a particular port, how
drivers get loaded/unloaded.

Read:

a) USB spec, including...
Forum: Storage & Hardrives May 12th 10, 06:16 PM Posted to comp.arch.storage
Replies: 1
External hard drive not working?

I have to take it to a repair shop?

Yes.

--
Maxim S. Shatskih
Windows DDK MVP

http://www.storagecraft.com
Forum: Storage & Hardrives February 12th 10, 09:38 PM Posted to comp.arch.storage
Replies: 10
Disk optimization for multithreaded app.

mistaken about that. It might have been related to the appearance of
high-water marking if that wasn't present in the earliest versions

NTFS was always supporting ValidDataLength _on...
Forum: Storage & Hardrives February 11th 10, 10:43 AM Posted to comp.arch.storage
Replies: 10
Disk optimization for multithreaded app.

Unix-style system-wide sync calls are a fourth (but I don't think
Windows offers them).

It does, FlushFileBuffers is fsync().

If you open the volume - like \\.\c: and do FlushFileBuffers on...
Forum: Storage & Hardrives February 10th 10, 11:50 AM Posted to comp.arch.storage
Replies: 10
Disk optimization for multithreaded app.

If I recall correctly, NT and its descendants (unlike Unix) flush dirty
data to disk when a file is closed and report any error then.

No.

Nothing occurs when the file is closed. Flushes go...
Forum: Storage & Hardrives October 30th 09, 10:32 AM Posted to comp.arch.storage
Replies: 8
Automating Image Backups of Windows Boot Devices

Do you know that with modern (Vista+) OS you will _nearly inevitably_ have
some exclusively locked files, even on volumes other them SystemRoot. The
VolSnap.sys driver opens some files in...
Forum: Storage & Hardrives October 29th 09, 03:20 PM Posted to comp.arch.storage
Replies: 8
Automating Image Backups of Windows Boot Devices

issues. Yes, there are APIs that can be used to take safe snapshots, but
inevitably there are some things on a drive that don't get backed up
correctly.

Not in my experience. OS itself,...
Forum: Storage & Hardrives October 28th 09, 10:47 PM Posted to comp.arch.storage
Replies: 8
Automating Image Backups of Windows Boot Devices

All modern and decent Windows backup software products use snapshots and thus are free from issues with locked files.

--
Maxim S. Shatskih
Windows DDK...

Should that give me a greater sense of security?

Surely yes.

--
Maxim S. Shatskih
Windows DDK MVP

http://www.storagecraft.com
Forum: Storage & Hardrives September 26th 09, 08:43 PM Posted to comp.sys.laptops,comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 9
Replacing an OEM Mobo...

This ancient a motherboard can easily have BIOS issues with drives 128GB

--
Maxim S. Shatskih
Windows DDK MVP

http://www.storagecraft.com

"Jimmy Roberts"...
Forum: Storage & Hardrives September 21st 09, 06:47 AM Posted to comp.arch.storage
Replies: 8
RAID level for personal archival?

I'm building a RAID solution for personal archiving (general large
things like raw photos, full disk backups, DVD rips, that sort of
thing). I picked up a 7-disk NAS tower that I'm filling with...
Forum: Storage & Hardrives June 5th 09, 09:35 AM Posted to comp.arch.storage
Replies: 2
How to send commands to a SATA 500GB Maxtor hard disk directly

In Linux of FreeBSD, maybe. Out of the box. Something like "camcontrol" and "atacontrol" can help.

In Windows - 3rd party software is needed.

--
Maxim S. Shatskih
Windows DDK...

I would scan the whole disk using some tool (dd+grep in Linux or such) to find some signature of the boot sector - "FAT" or "NTFS" or "MSDOS" (forgot what one is actually used).

Then look at the...
Forum: Storage & Hardrives May 24th 09, 09:36 AM Posted to comp.arch.storage
Replies: 6
SATA optical drive problems with DMA/PIO transfer

I made a mistake with the Si3112 memory...it's at FEAFFC00.

Yes, and this is dynamically assigned by the joint effort of Windows's pci.sys and acpi.sys and the ACPI stuff in BIOS.

issues with...
Forum: Storage & Hardrives May 22nd 09, 09:40 AM Posted to comp.arch.storage
Replies: 1
Problems with QLogic HBA API: HBA_STATUS_ERROR_MORE_DATA

We are running into problems with our QLogic HBA API libraries. We get the
following error when trying to exercise it:

"HBA_STATUS_ERROR_MORE_DATA"

The QLogic API guide says this is...
Forum: Storage & Hardrives May 21st 09, 09:12 AM Posted to comp.arch.storage
Replies: 6
SATA optical drive problems with DMA/PIO transfer

There is a software device made in Russia (PC-3000) for repairing hard
drives. It comes with a PCI card that allows the user to gain control
over the hard drive independently of the OS.

The PCI...
Forum: Storage & Hardrives May 19th 09, 01:21 PM Posted to comp.arch.storage
Replies: 6
SATA optical drive problems with DMA/PIO transfer

According to the specs on my Silicon Image Si3112 SATA controller, it
supports PIO modes 0 to 4, mdma 0 to 2 and UDMA 0 to 5.

The whole PIO/DMA thing has 2 meanings:

a) data rate and command set...
Forum: Storage & Hardrives April 24th 09, 12:41 PM Posted to comp.os.linux.development.system,comp.arch.storage
Replies: 32
Unimpressive performance of large MD raid

NTFS unsafe in case of power loss?

User data is not protected by the journaling.

You missed something, we're not talking about FAT here (which is faster than NTFS)...

Depends on scenario. With...
Forum: Storage & Hardrives April 11th 09, 10:47 PM Posted to comp.arch.storage
Replies: 6
SATA optical drive problems with DMA/PIO transfer

Both the Silicon Image configuration utility and Nero report the drive
in PIO4 mode.

Are you sure that the terms "PIO" and "UDMA" apply to non-standard (i.e. not register-compatible with the old...
Forum: Storage & Hardrives April 9th 09, 10:13 PM Posted to comp.arch.storage
Replies: 8
Out-of-order writing by disk drives

writes. Journaling file systems need guarantees about the order of
journal writes as well as journal writes relative to the writes the
journal entries describe.

Usually, the update is first...
Forum: Storage & Hardrives April 9th 09, 07:05 PM Posted to comp.arch.storage
Replies: 8
Out-of-order writing by disk drives

been the focus of my comment: NTFS does attempt to control ordering, at
least for critical metadata updates, even with write-back caching
enabled, but I think only on drives that support the...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 26