Showing results 1 to 25 of 94
Search took 1.88 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: willbill
Forum: Storage (alternative) April 24th 07, 06:00 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 17
Posted By willbill
Raptor or RAID?

Frodo wrote:

I'm currently using a Seagate 300GB SATA-II 7200.9 as my boot drive.
I just picked up a WD Raptor 74GB (WD74ADFD) to replace it as the boot drive
(will use a new install of Win...
Forum: General April 22nd 07, 12:07 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Replies: 13
Posted By willbill
Windows XP & Office for $3 from Microsoft!

Yousuf Khan wrote:
willbill wrote:

OT? XP forever? :)

I wonder if Microsoft is pirating its own software? How could it afford
to sell it for so little money? Didn't they say it...
Forum: General April 21st 07, 06:44 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Replies: 13
Posted By willbill
OT? XP forever? :)

OT? XP forever? ...
Forum: Storage (alternative) April 18th 07, 06:20 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage
Replies: 37
Posted By willbill
bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!

Folkert Rienstra wrote:

"willbill" wrote in message

bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!

i've come across connection issues with...
Forum: Storage & Hardrives April 18th 07, 06:20 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage

Folkert Rienstra wrote:

"willbill" wrote in message

bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!

i've come across connection issues with...
Forum: Storage & Hardrives April 13th 07, 08:22 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage
Replies: 37
Posted By willbill
bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!

bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!

i've come across connection issues
with my (admittedly limited) use
of SATA drives, both data and power,
most recently power

what an aggrevation!

are others...
Forum: Storage (alternative) April 13th 07, 08:22 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage
Replies: 37
Posted By willbill
bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!

bloody SATA connectors (electrical)!

i've come across connection issues
with my (admittedly limited) use
of SATA drives, both data and power,
most recently power

what an aggrevation!

are others...
Forum: General April 7th 07, 01:10 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Replies: 5
Posted By willbill
Interesting, old-style Opterons doing extremely well in Spec2006

Robert Myers wrote:
On Apr 6, 12:45 pm, willbill wrote:

on a side note: any idea if George (McD) and Keith
are still alive?

I've seen posts from Keith on...
Forum: General April 6th 07, 05:45 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Replies: 5
Posted By willbill
Interesting, old-style Opterons doing extremely well in Spec2006

Yousuf Khan wrote:

This is prior to the introduction of Barcelona architecture Opterons,
but it looks like even these old codgers are doing extremely well in the
SpecInt_rate2006 and...
Forum: General April 6th 07, 05:17 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Replies: 3
Posted By willbill
OT? anyone used AMD PowerNow for desktop?

Yousuf Khan wrote:

willbill wrote:

OT? anyone used AMD PowerNow for desktop?

i have two AMD server mobos and in the bios
they both have an option for PowerNow
(which i...
Forum: General April 6th 07, 04:45 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Replies: 3
Posted By willbill
OT? anyone used AMD PowerNow for desktop?

OT? anyone used AMD PowerNow for desktop?

i have two AMD server mobos and in the bios
they both have an option for PowerNow
(which i presently have turned off)

would i see any benefit from turning...
Forum: Storage & Hardrives March 29th 07, 04:05 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage
Replies: 36
Posted By willbill
Raid0 or Raid5 for network to disk backup (Gigabit)?

markm75 wrote:

Anyone have any thoughts on which is going to give me better write
speeds.. I know raid0 should be much better and if i combine it with
raid1, redundant..

But I'm assuming...
Forum: Storage (alternative) March 29th 07, 04:05 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage
Replies: 41

markm75 wrote:

Anyone have any thoughts on which is going to give me better write
speeds.. I know raid0 should be much better and if i combine it with
raid1, redundant..

But I'm assuming...
Forum: General March 10th 07, 06:37 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Replies: 11
Posted By willbill
Anyone here?

Robert Myers wrote:

On Mar 9, 6:33 pm, "gaffo" wrote:

huh?

there is nothing to talk about until next summer and k8l is released.

Think of all the energy that went...
Forum: General March 9th 07, 12:45 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Replies: 11
Posted By willbill
Anyone here?

Robert Myers wrote:

On Mar 8, 3:54 pm, "The Lone Gunman" wrote:

Anyone at all?? :-(

The AMDroids who usually kept the group going are all in therapy.

A perusal...
Forum: Storage (alternative) March 3rd 07, 01:12 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 72
Posted By willbill
Rod Speed snips and runs again. was: IDE Reset & spinup

Missing Person wrote:

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 23:41:59 -0600 willbill wrote

kill file him

Take your own advice, ****lips.

no worries. :)
Forum: Storage (alternative) March 1st 07, 02:48 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 10
Posted By willbill
Returning to non-Raid config from Raid 0?

Dave wrote:

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 19:40:53 -0600, willbill wrote:

the WD 10k 150GB SATA is the hands down best

odds are you could move to it as your boot
drive with no worries

fwiw,...
Forum: Storage (alternative) March 1st 07, 01:41 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Dave wrote:

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 19:40:53 -0600, willbill wrote:

the WD 10k 150GB SATA is the hands down best

odds are you could move to it as your boot
drive with no worries

fwiw,...
Forum: Storage (alternative) February 27th 07, 01:40 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 10
Posted By willbill
Returning to non-Raid config from Raid 0?

Dave wrote:

willbill wrote:

are you buying the current 150GB SATA raptor?

nice drive!

ICH5 suggests that your mobo/chipset/bios
will handle 150GB, but make sure about that
Forum: Storage (alternative) February 26th 07, 08:47 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 10
Posted By willbill
Returning to non-Raid config from Raid 0?

Dave wrote:

I'm using 2 - WD 36 gig Raptors in Raid 0, driven by the ICH5/R
controller (865PE, Epox 4PDA2+). I would like to eliminate the Raid
array and go to a conventional config using a...
Forum: Storage (alternative) February 26th 07, 12:49 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 2
Posted By willbill
Replacing 60Gbte Primary PATA drive with 500 Gbte SATA drive?

wrote:

I have a Primary 60 Gbte PATA drive on which XP Pro SP2 boots. There
is also a second 200 Gbte SATA drive which is used for some Apps and
also data.

I want...
Forum: Storage (alternative) February 24th 07, 05:41 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 72
Posted By willbill
Rod Speed snips and runs again. was: IDE Reset & spinup

Missing Person wrote:

No Comment, Rod? Not man enough to admit you were wrong

wrong/right?

get over it

the asshole who goes by the handle
of "rod speed" is a very longtime
Forum: General January 31st 07, 10:48 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Replies: 45
Posted By willbill
My lack of enthusiasm for AMD

Robert Myers wrote:

On Jan 30, 6:52 pm, Yousuf Khan wrote:

No, of course you're not interested in a ****ing match, that's entirely
evident from your choice of subject...
Forum: Storage (alternative) December 15th 06, 03:07 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage
Replies: 12
Posted By willbill
1.485 Gbit/s to and from HDD subsystem

Spoon wrote:

willbill wrote:

Spoon wrote:

willbill wrote:

Spoon wrote:
Forum: Storage & Hardrives December 15th 06, 03:07 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.arch.storage
Replies: 0
Posted By willbill
1.485 Gbit/s to and from HDD subsystem

Spoon wrote: