Showing results 1 to 25 of 69
Search took 0.10 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Man-wai Chang to The Door (24000bps)
Forum: General February 28th 10, 11:26 AM Posted to alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 10
linux 56k modems: DGC vs ACM

A web search using the appropriate terms reveals that one has to load
different kernel modules for either an ACM modem or a DGC modem.

I knew that. Thanks!

If you really need a modem to work...
Forum: General February 28th 10, 09:28 AM Posted to alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 10
linux 56k modems: DGC vs ACM

Personally I would think that if he wanted other users to understand his
question that he would have provided examples of the types of analog modems
he was asking about. Those acronyms have...
Forum: Storage (alternative) February 27th 10, 02:17 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 11
Housing two 2.5-inch hard disks in one 3.5-inch drive bay?

All in all, I think I'll be going for 3.5" disks. While 2.5" have the
potential for being faster in that you can fit more into a given space
and run them in parallel, it's just not going to be...
Forum: General February 27th 10, 11:11 AM Posted to alt.os.linux.ubuntu,alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 10
linux 56k modems: DGC vs ACM

What are their differences? Are they the same thing?

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) ...
Replies: 11
Housing two 2.5-inch hard disks in one 3.5-inch drive bay?

I'm considering one of these, or perhaps 4x 2.5" in a 5.25" bay. Two 2.5
inch 500 GB disks will be around twice the price of a single 3.5" 1 TB
disk, but as far as I can see they will be...
Forum: Storage (alternative) February 26th 10, 11:58 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.haredware,alt.comp.haredware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 11
Housing two 2.5-inch hard disks in one 3.5-inch drive bay?

Found such a toy in local computer shopping arcade.

Is it gonna kill both hard disks by heat?

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/ v \ Simplicity is Beauty! May the Force and Farce...

i have a mb gigabyte ga-p31-s3g
and i wanned to upgreded its perfomenes
so i bout a graphic card Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024MB PCIe
PCI Express 2.0 X16, 128 bit
and a new memory ram...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 21st 10, 12:45 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 13
Favorite motherboard brand and why?

On 17-Feb-10 13:25, John Doe wrote:
Please tell me what your favorite motherboard brand is and why you
like them. What are they best for?

Asus : frequent BIOS update, quality drivers

--
@~@...
Forum: Nvidia Videocards February 20th 10, 01:48 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Thank you, my Masters! :)

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.32.8
Replies: 4
Does GeForce 6600 (AGP) support CUDA?

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux 2.6.32.8
^ ^ 19:50:01 up 4:14 2 users load...
Forum: Cdr February 18th 10, 08:56 AM Posted to alt.comp.freeware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.periphs.cdr
Replies: 20
Utility needed to Verify ISO image with burned disc

However, I am looking for a stand-alone utility that can do the same
thing.
Which is, taking an ISO-image file on the hard disk, and verify it
with a CD (or DVD) that is inside a CD/DVD...
Forum: General February 17th 10, 11:20 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 13
WINDOWS 7 USB Modem Replacement needed in UK

I'm now trying out& planning to fully buy Windows 7 64bit .
The Hardware has an well established Win XP 32bit install
where the SAGEM 800@Fast USB Modem gives me OK performance
for years...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 16th 10, 09:56 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 2
How are bad sectors detected and handled by mainframe-class computer...

.... compared to a typical PC hard disk?

--
@~@ Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY.
/( _ )\ (x86_64 Ubuntu 9.10) Linux...

There's always little errors happening with modern drives, e.g. line
errors. There could be 100's of these per minute. If it weren't for the
fact that the drive's own electronics understood...
Forum: Storage (alternative) February 16th 10, 09:54 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 39
Formatting a hard disk and handling of suspicious bad sectors

There's always little errors happening with modern drives, e.g. line
errors. There could be 100's of these per minute. If it weren't for the
fact that the drive's own electronics understood...
Forum: Storage (alternative) February 15th 10, 12:13 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 39
Formatting a hard disk and handling of suspicious bad sectors

Get one of the many utilities that will write zeros to the entire HD,
then repartition, then reformat (the high-level format).

The other way to get a newly formatted HD is to buy a new...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 15th 10, 12:13 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 29
Formatting a hard disk and handling of suspicious bad sectors

Get one of the many utilities that will write zeros to the entire HD,
then repartition, then reformat (the high-level format).

The other way to get a newly formatted HD is to buy a new...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 15th 10, 11:39 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 29
Formatting a hard disk and handling of suspicious bad sectors

And elsewhere, and more commonly, it's called a "high-level format", as
opposed to a "low-level format". Were M. Toylet to put that phrase into
xyr favourite WWW search engine, xe would find...
Forum: Storage (alternative) February 15th 10, 11:39 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 39
Formatting a hard disk and handling of suspicious bad sectors

And elsewhere, and more commonly, it's called a "high-level format", as
opposed to a "low-level format". Were M. Toylet to put that phrase into
xyr favourite WWW search engine, xe would find...
Forum: Storage (alternative) February 15th 10, 11:38 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windows.file_system
Replies: 39
Formatting a hard disk and handling of suspicious bad sectors

And elsewhere, and more commonly, it's called a "high-level format", as
opposed to a "low-level format". Were M. Toylet to put that phrase into
xyr favourite WWW search engine, xe would find...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 14th 10, 01:26 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 29
Formatting a hard disk and handling of suspicious bad sectors

One thing you can try is to overwrite the disk/partition before
a format. That would trigger the reallocation process for sectors
known to be bad. The other option I see is using a "RAID...
Forum: Storage (alternative) February 14th 10, 01:26 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 39
Formatting a hard disk and handling of suspicious bad sectors

One thing you can try is to overwrite the disk/partition before
a format. That would trigger the reallocation process for sectors
known to be bad. The other option I see is using a "RAID...
Forum: Storage (alternative) February 14th 10, 10:36 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 39
Formatting a hard disk and handling of suspicious bad sectors

When I right-clicked a hard disk in Window$ and hit Format, was it the
hard disk controller that took over to format a particular sector on the
disk? Or was it the OS?

I wanted to reduce the fault...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 14th 10, 10:36 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 29
Formatting a hard disk and handling of suspicious bad sectors

When I right-clicked a hard disk in Window$ and hit Format, was it the
hard disk controller that took over to format a particular sector on the
disk? Or was it the OS?

I wanted to reduce the fault...
Forum: Ati Videocards February 12th 10, 10:46 AM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Replies: 8
[ot] Freeware HDTV program

It's not free, so I'm not interested in using it. I used the Technisat
version in the past and it was so clunky I gave up with it instantly. You
can use standalone CODECs and use custom filter...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 69