Showing results 1 to 25 of 500
Search took 0.07 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Paul
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 25th 16, 01:36 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 2
Posted By Paul
PCs' case fans' prices are higher than usual?

Ant wrote:
Is it just me in So(uthern) CA, USA? Or is happening to everywhere else?

Thank you in advance. :)

Depends on whether your computer store carries
only "boutique" fans. Ones with...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 23rd 16, 10:59 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By Paul
Which subwoofer sounds most like Gigaworks S750 ?

Skybuck Flying wrote:

"Martin Riddle" wrote in message

On Sat, 23 Jul 2016 17:49:46 +0200, "Skybuck Flying"
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 23rd 16, 06:46 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 16
Posted By Paul
Aligning my XP partition on my 500gig WD harddrive

John B. Smith wrote:
I have the ambition to align my main C: (XP) partition. It is on a
500gig hard drive partitioned in half for XP and Win7. Msinfo.exe says
that the Partition Offset for the...
Forum: General July 16th 16, 02:44 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 1
Posted By Paul
PSU type compatibility?

wrote:

First confirm THEORETICALLY that plugging a 20-way connector & the
4 yellow-black connector is OK for a 24-way MOBO?

Yes, I'll trace the exploded elko, to...
Forum: General July 11th 16, 12:21 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 13
Posted By Paul
nvraid error Win10

On 2016-07-11 2:56 AM, Paul wrote:
[snippage]
This is an example of a typical command while
working with an HPA. You do one of these, then
reboot, as you cannot issue a...
Forum: General July 11th 16, 10:56 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 13
Posted By Paul
nvraid error Win10

On 2016-07-10 10:52 AM, Paul wrote:
Norm X wrote:
I've encountered "nvraid error" in my (hopefully fixable) install of
Win10
ultimate on my desktop. Years ago I set...
Forum: Overclocking July 11th 16, 10:24 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Replies: 3
Posted By Paul
Anyone here with 771 to 775 converter sticker experience forXeon 771 processors?

Bob F wrote:

Thanks for the analysis. This mod for 771 to 775 conversion seems to
involve swapping the connections at 2 pins.

I guess what I really would like to know is, are there...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 11th 16, 10:24 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking

Bob F wrote:

Thanks for the analysis. This mod for 771 to 775 conversion seems to
involve swapping the connections at 2 pins.

I guess what I really would like to know is, are there...
Forum: General July 10th 16, 06:52 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 13
Posted By Paul
nvraid error Win10

Norm X wrote:
I've encountered "nvraid error" in my (hopefully fixable) install of
Win10
ultimate on my desktop. Years ago I set up a 3 drive RAID 0 storage array
with three partitions.....
Forum: General July 10th 16, 04:50 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 3
Posted By Paul
PSU type compatibility?

wrote:

You didn't confirm that using a 20-way-socket on a 24-way MOBO
can't cause damage, because the extra 4 are in parrallel to spread
the increased current, as the PC...
Forum: Overclocking July 10th 16, 08:05 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Replies: 3
Posted By Paul
Anyone here with 771 to 775 converter sticker experience forXeon 771 processors?

Bob F wrote:
I played with this a lot a couple years ago. I finally gave up when I
started getting crashes on systems that had worked fine for many months.
I found that the 771 to 775...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 10th 16, 08:05 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.overclocking

Bob F wrote:
I played with this a lot a couple years ago. I finally gave up when I
started getting crashes on systems that had worked fine for many months.
I found that the 771 to 775...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 9th 16, 11:31 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 3
Posted By Paul
... about using a CD ISO image as a disk drive in win 10

Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:
Windows 10 lets one mount a CD or DVD ISO image as a drive. Once that
is done access to data on the CD is very fast. Before Win 10 I used
DAEMON Tools to mount a CD for...
Forum: General July 9th 16, 06:00 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 4
Posted By Paul
What's the connector used to terminate a keyboard wire called?

Veek. M wrote:
http://storage1.static.itmages.com/i/16/0709/h_1468065869_8438417_2ac4dc2df9.png

I have a USB keyboard with a defective cable (i'm retaining the USB-A
connector). I'm...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 9th 16, 07:21 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 6
Posted By Paul
How much memory is "useful"

Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:

Great comments Paul....

To answer a few questions you made about details I left out...

The OS was originally Win 7 64 bit Pro, now Win 10... took the plunge
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 8th 16, 05:37 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 6
Posted By Paul
How much memory is "useful"

Charlie Hoffpauir wrote:
My system is a Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK board with 2 8GB DDR3 G SKILL
memory strips (16 GB total) and an Intel i5-4690 processor, set up
with two 24" monitors. I do a...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 8th 16, 07:51 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 2
Posted By Paul
Skylake for Win7?

Nil wrote:
There were reports a while back about support for Windows 7 on Intel
Skylake processors going away. Truthfully, I don't really understand
the implications of that. However, this...
Forum: General July 6th 16, 09:11 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 13
Posted By Paul
nvraid error Win10

Norm X wrote:
Hi,

I've encountered "nvraid error" in my (hopefully fixable) install of Win10
ultimate on my desktop. Years ago I set up a 3 drive RAID 0 storage array
with three...
Forum: General July 6th 16, 12:03 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 3
Posted By Paul
PSU type compatibility?

wrote:
I know of 5 PC: PSU types, based on the connectors:-

1. with 2 side-by-side, single row sockets that plugged to the
PC single row of pins.
2. with 2-rows of 10...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 29th 16, 09:57 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 1
Posted By Paul
SSD bracket

Seymore4Head wrote:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817994085

Common sense says the drive should be mounted with the connections to
the computer next to the outer edge....
Forum: General June 27th 16, 07:55 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 1
Posted By Paul
what would I see on a scope?

Norm X wrote:
Hi,

Wikipedia and other sources say that for long length of USB cable, one
should use a USB repeater. A hub will do. The use of a powered hub may make
a difference. I have...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 26th 16, 02:15 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By Paul
server (tower case) power supply?

wrote:
I bought a box of computer parts at a garage sale. I guess it came
from a business: it had things like KVM switch and 8-port GbE routers.
There was a strange power...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 26th 16, 01:34 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
Replies: 12
Posted By Paul
NVMe M.2 SSD Win7, anyone with experience?

On 2016-06-19 10:48, Paul wrote:

Now, why doesn't the NVMe have a config EEPROM
on the device, to provide the code in question ?

Do we now have what...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 20th 16, 09:09 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,sci.electronics.design
Replies: 5
Posted By Paul
Corsair magnetic levitation fans (maglev fans)

Skybuck Flying wrote:
Hello,

I find this a very interesting product:

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/corsair-magnetic-levitation-fans-gpu,31977.html

It claims that it's fans...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 19th 16, 03:48 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general
Replies: 12
Posted By Paul
NVMe M.2 SSD Win7, anyone with experience?

Robert Brereton wrote:
Hi Take a look at this site. It may answer your questions.
Unfortunately I am not up to date with these drives.

Showing results 1 to 25 of 500