Showing results 1 to 25 of 125
Search took 0.08 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Odie Ferrous
Forum: Storage (alternative) April 3rd 08, 09:16 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 11
Posted By Odie Ferrous
WD2500BEVE corrupted geometry

Folkert Rienstra wrote:

Rod Speed wrote in
Peter Lu wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Try wiping...
Forum: Storage (alternative) March 31st 08, 06:54 AM Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 26
Posted By Odie Ferrous
Recovering Data on a Failing Hard Drive

Matt wrote:

Hey guys. I've got a real problem on my hands. Basically all my work
for the last 4 years at University, along with countless amounts of
data I've accumulated over the years...
Forum: Storage (alternative) March 29th 08, 08:30 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 16
Posted By Odie Ferrous
Recover data from a failed RAID5 array

Martin Goldmann wrote:

Hi!

I have an Adaptec 2410SA controller with four 160GB drives configured in a
RAID5 array for a total capacity 480GB.

The array contains a lot of very...
Forum: Storage (alternative) March 12th 08, 02:44 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 3
Posted By Odie Ferrous
Do-it-yourself hard drive rescue system

hdtv? wrote:

"Retrodata's platter extraction system is a 165-pound device that uses
laser-guided positioning to help it accurately extract platters from
any 3.5 inch hard drive with minimal...
Forum: Storage (alternative) March 6th 08, 12:22 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 0
Posted By Odie Ferrous
Dell PERC 2/Si Parity settings

Does anyone know how this raid controller treats parity? Backwards /
backwards dynamic / etc - Raid 5 array.

Thanks

Duncan
--
Retrodata
Forum: Storage (alternative) March 1st 08, 06:19 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Roger Blake wrote:

In article , Eric Gisin wrote:
FAT32 is your only choice, unless there is a UDF version supported by both XP and OSX.

How about...
Forum: Storage (alternative) February 27th 08, 07:40 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 5
Posted By Odie Ferrous
SATA HDD 1TB

Rob Nicholson wrote:

We've just installed a rather nice JBOD external enclosure with 4 x 1TB hard
disks for use as backup-to-disk with Backup Exec. Whilst we've got oodles of
backup storage...
Forum: Storage (alternative) February 26th 08, 07:01 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 15
Posted By Odie Ferrous
Data integritty in RAID5?

Jose wrote:

Hi All,

With all HDDs working, does RAID5 have any advantage as far as data
integrity is concerned - as when files are being read/written,?

Assume, that in 1 hdd, a...
Forum: Storage (alternative) February 21st 08, 08:25 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 19
Posted By Odie Ferrous
dying Seagate 500GB SATA drive?

cpliu wrote:

It runs fine for ~ half a year. Without any warning, I have trouble
powering up. It powers up ok like any other HD I've seen but it also
making a clicking noise at a regular...
Forum: Storage (alternative) February 18th 08, 08:44 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 4
Posted By Odie Ferrous
Hard drive-based backup in lieu of tape backup

Coleman wrote:

On Feb 15, 5:06 pm, Odie Ferrous wrote:
Coleman wrote:

We currently use Symantec Backup Exec 11d

That's the first thing to get rid...
Forum: Storage (alternative) February 15th 08, 10:06 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Coleman wrote:

We currently use Symantec Backup Exec 11d

That's the first thing to get rid of. In my experience, Symantec /
Norton products are simply disasters waiting to happen.

As for...
Forum: Storage (alternative) January 31st 08, 10:24 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 7
Posted By Odie Ferrous
Seagate, Maxtor and Western Digital

gojlt2 wrote:

I just replaced 1 Maxtor and 2 Seagate hard drives with Western
Digital. All are internal 3.5inch, 7200RPM, 8MB cache.

The replacements were made based on SMART data on the...
Forum: Storage (alternative) January 28th 08, 07:15 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 3
Posted By Odie Ferrous
Need WD logic board!!!

fatmann66 wrote:

Hi All;

My logic board went on my hard drive before my monthly backup. (Always
works out that way.) Anyway wanted to pull some data off the drive
before I scrap it and...
Forum: Storage (alternative) January 28th 08, 07:12 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 19
Posted By Odie Ferrous
dying Seagate 500GB SATA drive?

cpliu wrote:

Thank you all for the suggestions. I put it in the freezer for one
night but it didn't help. It might take longer to start the clicking
noise. Here is the recorded noise:...
Forum: Storage (alternative) January 21st 08, 05:27 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 13
Posted By Odie Ferrous
What happens with a Raid 5 when the controller fails?

Folkert Rienstra wrote:

Robert Wegner wrote in
Hi there,

i've got an old storage server here, running W2k, with a promise...
Forum: Storage (alternative) January 7th 08, 07:52 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 42
Posted By Odie Ferrous
Look for filename in drive without valid MBR

Folkert Rienstra wrote:

Right, much better killing it for sure by trying to get all that you don't
really need in a very trying process than trying to get the few bits that
you really need...
Forum: General August 2nd 07, 07:24 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops
Replies: 28
Posted By Odie Ferrous
bad clusters/sectors on new laptop, chkdsk gets stuck trying torepair

wrote:

I recently bought a new HP laptop with an extended warrantee.
In the past few weeks, often I would get the blue screen of death and
the system will just...
Forum: Storage (alternative) August 2nd 07, 07:24 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,comp.sys.laptops
Replies: 56

wrote:

I recently bought a new HP laptop with an extended warrantee.
In the past few weeks, often I would get the blue screen of death and
the system will just...
Forum: Storage (alternative) July 30th 07, 10:29 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 9
Posted By Odie Ferrous
Need spare part for my fried Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATA2

Pecos wrote:

Read this thread before you go to all the effort and expense to find a new
controller card.

http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-3092465-1.php

I just read it.
Forum: Storage (alternative) July 27th 07, 09:06 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 5
Posted By Odie Ferrous
reducing capacity for marketing reasons?

Folkert Rienstra wrote:

the usual

Perhaps once you've gained a little more experience in the field, you'll
begin to understand my comments.

Odie
--
Forum: Storage (alternative) July 26th 07, 09:57 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 5
Posted By Odie Ferrous
reducing capacity for marketing reasons?

bealoid wrote:

I saw this link on another group:
http://blog.atola.com/restoring-factory-hard-drive-capacity/

The page contains this quote:

[quote]
Some manufacturers (for example,...
Forum: Storage (alternative) July 8th 07, 08:21 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 11
Posted By Odie Ferrous
Will platters from a 400GB HD work on a 300GB HD?

wrote:

On Jul 7, 8:02 pm, "Rod Speed" wrote:

Nope. You couldnt get the data off that way even if the two drives are identical.
Forum: Storage (alternative) July 3rd 07, 08:32 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 11
Posted By Odie Ferrous
Setting up new USB drive

Folkert Rienstra wrote:

wrote in message
I have a new Samsung PATA 160G drive that I'd like to use as a USB
Forum: Storage (alternative) June 28th 07, 12:36 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 12
Posted By Odie Ferrous
Maxtor Diamondmax 8 recovery

Tom Del Rosso wrote:

"Arno Wagner" wrote in message

Impossible to tell with this info. Does it spin=up or try to
spin? What...
Forum: Storage (alternative) June 21st 07, 07:40 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 7
Posted By Odie Ferrous
About external Hard Disks

Raghav wrote:

snip

I checked the local market online stores (I am in Switzerland, near
Zurich) , and I dont seem to find any references to any available
Samsung or Agrosy hard disks....
Showing results 1 to 25 of 125