Showing results 1 to 25 of 500
Search took 1.80 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: John McGaw
Forum: General April 25th 21, 12:28 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 12
Posted By John McGaw
HDD vs. SSD

On 4/24/2021 2:00 PM, Paul wrote:
wrote:
SSD has Toolbox software, and will tell you "Percent Life".

I have no idea how to access this if it's there....
Forum: General December 26th 20, 03:58 PM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 22
Posted By John McGaw
Have you ever had a working PC that wouldn't go into the BIOSmode?

On 12/12/2020 8:47 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
snip...
Have you ever had a working PC that wouldn't go into the BIOS mode?
o https://i.postimg.cc/GpkgdmxT/cmos01.jpg Won't go into BIOS

How did...
Forum: General November 23rd 20, 03:59 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 16
Posted By John McGaw
Printer which can copy driver's license on one side and carregistration card on another

On 11/22/2020 6:38 PM, s wrote:

A friend of mine is a small hotel owner in Florida and wants a printer
which can copy driver's license on one side and car registration card on
another and...
Forum: General November 20th 20, 03:05 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Replies: 9
Posted By John McGaw
Is cable both power and data?

On 11/18/2020 11:33 AM, micky wrote:
I have a Y-shaped USB cable, 18" long, with type A at one end and the
two previously most common mini's at the other end, the one that used to
be used for...
Forum: General November 20th 20, 02:54 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 2
Posted By John McGaw
4 cores

On 11/20/2020 3:42 AM, micky wrote:
One of the watchwords of computers used to be that they only do one
thing at a time, and they just switch from one thing to another very
quickly.

Forum: General September 19th 20, 12:18 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 2
Posted By John McGaw
Q: Replace ethernet cables with POF backbone on home Powerline?

On 9/19/2020 5:13 AM, x13 wrote:
but even that is faster than using a "networked" connection via my router.

Wired router? Wireless router? What sort? I wired my old house with Cat 5e
when I moved...
Forum: General September 4th 20, 08:57 PM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 12
Posted By John McGaw
What PC hardware diagnostic stress-testing freeware can yourecommend?

On 9/4/2020 1:35 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
What PC hardware diagnostic stress-testing freeware can you recommend?

o I have a random hardware related BSOD whose cause is unknown to me
Forum: General August 30th 20, 02:07 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 20
Posted By John McGaw
Guiding a 14 year old nephew on building his own computer

On 8/29/2020 7:18 PM, s wrote:
On 8/27/2020 5:01 AM, John McGaw wrote:
On 8/27/2020 2:29 AM, Anssi Saari wrote:
s writes:

The idea is to assemble a basic PC using which he...
Forum: General August 27th 20, 12:01 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 20
Posted By John McGaw
Guiding a 14 year old nephew on building his own computer

On 8/27/2020 2:29 AM, Anssi Saari wrote:
s writes:

The idea is to assemble a basic PC using which he can do homework,
learn new topics etc.

Would the following parts be...
Forum: General August 24th 20, 01:03 PM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 4
Posted By John McGaw
Is there an option to completely shut off a Windows 10 desktop (not just go to sleep, hibernate, or fastboot)?

On 8/23/2020 4:20 PM, Arlen Holder wrote:
How can we set Windows to completely shut off after a period of inactivity?

Due to a longstanding unknown hardware problem, my desktop never wakes...
Forum: General June 25th 20, 07:51 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Replies: 6
Posted By John McGaw
On demand backup drive.

On 6/22/2020 3:46 PM, micky wrote:
I have to make my backing up more frequent.

Right now I use a double dock, with a 5 1/4" drive. I bought one whose
advertising said it turned off when it...
Forum: General April 29th 20, 08:57 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 8
Posted By John McGaw
WIRELESS KEYBOARD MOUSE RECEIVER Q

On 4/29/2020 6:01 AM, wrote:
On Tue, 28 Apr 2020 07:56:53 -0400, "SC Tom" wrote:

wrote in message
Forum: General February 7th 20, 03:03 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 7
Posted By John McGaw
KVM Anomaly

On 2/6/2020 7:06 PM, wrote:
On Thu, 6 Feb 2020 11:03:03 -0500, John McGaw wrote:

On 2/6/2020 9:45 AM, wrote:
This has been driving me...
Forum: General February 6th 20, 05:03 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 7
Posted By John McGaw
KVM Anomaly

On 2/6/2020 9:45 AM, wrote:
This has been driving me nuts.
I cannot retain my desktop icon layouts.
I have two PCs, one W10, one dual-boot W7 & W10.
They are linked via a...
Forum: General January 27th 20, 12:26 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 20
Posted By John McGaw
My HP Deskjet 855C died tonight.

On 1/26/2020 11:26 AM, Yrrah wrote:
"John C." :

Searching on the internet has resulted in my impression that
the best color laser printer available for home use is the...
Forum: General January 25th 20, 07:08 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 20
Posted By John McGaw
My HP Deskjet 855C died tonight.

On 1/25/2020 12:29 PM, John C. wrote:
John McGaw wrote:
On 1/25/2020 7:17 AM, John C. wrote:
John McGaw wrote:
On 1/25/2020 6:24 AM, John C. wrote:
Tonight I tried to print a...
Forum: General January 25th 20, 03:51 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware

John McGaw wrote:
On 1/25/2020 6:24 AM, John C. wrote:
Tonight I tried to print a grayscale portrait of my late uncle and aunt
on some nice, glossy...
Forum: General January 25th 20, 01:08 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 20
Posted By John McGaw
My HP Deskjet 855C died tonight.

On 1/25/2020 6:24 AM, John C. wrote:
Tonight I tried to print a grayscale portrait of my late uncle and aunt on
some nice, glossy photo paper. After waiting a long time for the job to
finish...
Forum: General December 29th 19, 11:15 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 18
Posted By John McGaw
Old Stock Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitor Self-healing

On 12/29/2019 3:00 PM, Paul wrote:
If that cap is an interference fit, it will be
a bitch to get out. You can cut the cap in two,
but you almost need mechanical assist to do that.
(The power...
Forum: General December 28th 19, 07:09 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 18
Posted By John McGaw
Old Stock Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitor Self-healing

On 12/26/2019 5:17 PM, Norm Why wrote:
This post is a continuation of thread:
"Speaker For PC Internal BIOS Computer Motherboard Mini Onboard Case
Buzzer Board Beep Alarm NEW."

The new...
Forum: General December 14th 19, 07:25 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 28
Posted By John McGaw
Problems rebuilding system

On 12/13/2019 6:11 PM, Paul wrote:
You can get a "no beep" condition, by using a
reset button crushed in the ON position. Usually
OEM computer cases are the ones with sufficiently
cheesy...
Forum: General December 11th 19, 01:11 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 4
Posted By John McGaw
Disc Wear Question

On 12/10/2019 5:15 PM, Paul wrote:
John McGaw wrote:

Rotating drives can be a bitch. I went through a "recovery" a few weeks
back as an experiment. One of the five 2tB data drives on an...
Forum: General December 10th 19, 10:14 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 4
Posted By John McGaw
Disc Wear Question

On 12/10/2019 3:20 PM, Paul wrote:
Trimble wrote:
I cant decide the answer to this situation

A Disc SSD or mechanical is divided into partitions The operating system
is installed on...
Forum: General November 25th 19, 12:22 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 5
Posted By John McGaw
Problems rebuilding system

On 11/24/2019 9:22 PM, Norm Why wrote:
"John McGaw" wrote in message
On 11/23/2019 10:31 PM, Norm Why wrote:
Hi,

I gutted...
Forum: General November 24th 19, 03:54 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 5
Posted By John McGaw
Problems rebuilding system

On 11/23/2019 10:31 PM, Norm Why wrote:
Hi,

I gutted my old system because the MOBO would not boot. I have an Intel
Q9650 CPU and two sticks of DDR2 RAM, SSDs and a Zotac GTX 970 Single...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 500