Showing results 1 to 12 of 12
Search took 1.04 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Peter Chant[_2_]
Forum: General May 21st 09, 12:29 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 14
Posted By Peter Chant[_2_]
computer log when external switch is flipped?

CBFalconer wrote:

I run W98 on this machine. No problem. Pick the OS for the job
you want it to do.

Well, in that case either dos or if you want it networked an embedded linux
system. ...
Forum: General May 19th 09, 10:22 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 19
Posted By Peter Chant[_2_]
Diagnotic tool reports failed, was: Followup: 1TB hard drive on PATA machine

kony wrote:

Run the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic to check the drive.

Yes. It gives errors on "Scan MC" and surface scan, all are reported
as "ecc errors". Supplier sent me a courtest email...
Forum: General May 19th 09, 12:33 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 14
Posted By Peter Chant[_2_]
computer log when external switch is flipped?

CBFalconer wrote:

See the discussion of older computers in the "Memory chip question"
thread. Those things have everything you need.

Not necessarily, I think you were referring to having a...
Forum: General May 15th 09, 05:29 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 19
Posted By Peter Chant[_2_]
Followup: 1TB hard drive on PATA machine

Update in case anyone is interested. A little odd, originally worryingly
flakey but now seems OK.

1TB Samsung disk,
PCI SATA adapter VIA6421A based.
State of the Ark KT400 based motherboard.
Linux,...
Forum: General May 13th 09, 06:21 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 14
Posted By Peter Chant[_2_]
computer log when external switch is flipped?

David Deley wrote:

How would I go about interfacing my computer to the outside world? I'm
wondering if there's a way I can log the date/time when my USPS mailbox
gets opened. Which eventually...
Forum: General May 10th 09, 11:22 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 19
Posted By Peter Chant[_2_]
1TB hard drive on PATA machine

kony wrote:

4) Decide this is the right time to move on, to upgrade to
a native SATA capable motherboard, CPU and memory.

#4 holds the most promise for overall performance if that is
a...
Forum: General May 10th 09, 11:14 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 19
Posted By Peter Chant[_2_]
1TB hard drive on PATA machine

Andy wrote:

Extra Value Serial ATA 2 Port PCI Card £12.99 inc vat
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/48670/show_product_overview

Thank you.
--
http://www.petezilla.co.uk
Forum: General May 10th 09, 11:12 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
1TB hard drive on PATA machine

Gerard Bok wrote:

Yes. And the plural form of 'disks was probably intentional :-)

Daily backup to an external drive connected to a Linksys NSLU2.

Approx monthly backup to a second external...
Forum: General May 9th 09, 05:18 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 19
Posted By Peter Chant[_2_]
1TB hard drive on PATA machine

Gerard Bok wrote:

First of all: what are your objectives ?
Add 1 TB to an existing system ?
In that case: buy an external drive.

Just bought a digital SLR. Had it just over a week. Only...
Forum: General May 9th 09, 05:08 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 19
Posted By Peter Chant[_2_]
1TB hard drive on PATA machine

1D10T wrote:

"Peter Chant" wrote in message

A useful thought. Thanks.

This one also adds an internal SATA...
Forum: General May 9th 09, 03:26 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 19
Posted By Peter Chant[_2_]
1TB hard drive on PATA machine

Jon Danniken wrote:

"Peter Chant" wrote:
Any thoughts?

Existing system is PATA only, PCI & AGP, no PCI-E.

PATA drives seem rare and relatively expensive for the amount of storage
Forum: General May 9th 09, 01:24 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 19
Posted By Peter Chant[_2_]
1TB hard drive on PATA machine

Any thoughts?

Existing system is PATA only, PCI & AGP, no PCI-E.

PATA drives seem rare and relatively expensive for the amount of storage you
get and at maximum seem to be 500GB. If I want to...
Showing results 1 to 12 of 12