Showing results 1 to 25 of 44
Search took 0.00 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: David Lesher
Forum: Storage (alternative) April 24th 20, 11:46 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 5
Posted By David Lesher
Don't get Shingled by SMR

Yousuf Khan writes:

On 4/23/2020 11:16 PM, wrote:
Hmmm, we had 4 TB CMR drives for a while until Helium arrived.
Why on earth are they making...
Forum: Storage (alternative) April 22nd 20, 11:55 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 5
Posted By David Lesher
Don't get Shingled by SMR

A cautionary tale:

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/04/caveat-emptor-smr-disks-are-being-submarined-into-unexpected-channels/

Buyer beware~that 2TB-6TB "NAS" drive you've been eyeing might...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 12th 17, 03:41 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics,alt.home.repair
Replies: 39
Posted By David Lesher
[FoxNews]A small town's sudden power surge fried tech gear in hundreds of homes

"James Wilkinson Sword" writes:

It was news because Verizontal refused to pay; saying it
was the contractor's fault not theirs.

Which it was. But the contractor...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 9th 17, 05:41 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.engineering.electrical,sci.electronics.repair,sci.electronics.basics,alt.home.repair
Replies: 39
Posted By David Lesher
[FoxNews]A small town's sudden power surge fried tech gear in hundreds of homes

The Washington Post had some great photos of a house with every
outlet and switch blown out of the walls.

Seems there was a FIOS installer trenching there when it
happened. The WP didn't say, but...
Forum: Storage (alternative) May 31st 15, 05:10 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 1
Posted By David Lesher
PATA-SATA adapters

I'm seeking adapters to put SATA drives into a cabinet with PATA
controllers. This far, the ones I have seen are singles; I need
to put master/slave drives in as was the case with...
Forum: Storage (alternative) January 4th 15, 05:28 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 18
Posted By David Lesher
external hard drive case

firestorm31 writes:

anyone know what brand external hard drive case has the external SATA port?

this for my laptop which has a external SATA...
Forum: Storage (alternative) June 16th 13, 07:20 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 40
Posted By David Lesher
My theory regarding the high price of 4TB drives

miso writes:

You know, it is hard to say if they would buy the drives directly or
not. I see advantages to both methods. First of all, the drive itself
isn't a secret, though...
Forum: Storage (alternative) December 28th 12, 05:06 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 16
Posted By David Lesher
always hide your backups!

BW writes:

Some villains broke in through laundry window. House behind has
been vacant for 2 weeks, so they wouldn't have been seen. They
grabbed my wife's laptop. She...
Forum: Storage (alternative) December 9th 12, 07:04 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 10
Posted By David Lesher
how to put 135 TB in a single case

One thing that design lacks is power control. Talking to vendors
of similar arrays at LISA a few years ago, they told me they had
individual power switching for each drive.

The reason was they often...
Forum: Storage (alternative) October 30th 09, 02:25 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 14
Posted By David Lesher
cleaning a SATA drive

Yousuf Khan writes:

As others have pointed out, if you want to totally remove all traces of
data on the drive, then any number of methods and utilities will be able...
Forum: Storage (alternative) October 29th 09, 04:45 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 14
Posted By David Lesher
cleaning a SATA drive

Soccer Dad writes:

We had a SATA installed on a computer that may have been infected with
a virus, and in order to use it again, we need wipe the drive clean.

You want...
Forum: Storage (alternative) October 21st 09, 05:54 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 44
Posted By David Lesher
Battery backup: problem with my APC?

David Brown writes:

So you now agree that there is no such thing as a "TRUE sine wave"
output from an UPS? It's a pity that you then contradict yourself...
Forum: Storage (alternative) October 18th 09, 06:29 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 44
Posted By David Lesher
Battery backup: problem with my APC?

kenk writes:

I was sitting at my desk yesterday during a storm when there was a
split-second power outage. Despite the fact that my battery shows all 5
lights lit, the...
Forum: Storage (alternative) September 8th 09, 07:31 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 20
Posted By David Lesher
How would you ship a bare drive across the country?

Arno writes:

For ESD protection, use the original packaging or an ESD bag.

For Shock-proofing, an older recomendation by Maxtor is to have
5cm (2in) of foam rubber in any...
Forum: Storage (alternative) January 24th 09, 08:21 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 59
Posted By David Lesher
Is my new 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 HDD affected?

DevilsPGD writes:

No particular OS required, beyond the software needed to burn the ISO,
Seagate provides the OS.

But hardware to boot from the ISO is needed.
That...
Forum: Storage (alternative) January 24th 09, 02:44 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 59
Posted By David Lesher
Is my new 500 GB Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 HDD affected?

So iffen you have one of the afflicted drives; how do you go about
patching it? Is there some Windows utility?

If so, what do non-Windows folks do?

--
A host is a host from coast to...
Forum: Storage (alternative) January 2nd 09, 11:58 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Seagate is lowering their warranty on many drives as
of tomorrow.

If you value the 5 year warranty, get your order in.

--
A host is a host from coast to
& no...

writes:

Hi,

I need to test large quantities of 68 pin and 80 pin SCSI hard drives
and SAS hard drives to determine if they are not defective.

What would be the best...
Forum: Storage (alternative) June 16th 08, 04:50 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 80
Posted By David Lesher
Any way to wipe this drive?

kony writes:

They clearly had no SOP of wiping such at the factory level. [i.e.
rewriting all the bits, not just those the OS can see...]

This is not a proof they had no SOP of...
Forum: General June 16th 08, 04:50 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 77
Posted By David Lesher
Any way to wipe this drive?

kony writes:

They clearly had no SOP of wiping such at the factory level. [i.e.
rewriting all the bits, not just those the OS can see...]

This is not a proof they had no SOP of...
Forum: Storage (alternative) June 16th 08, 02:46 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 80
Posted By David Lesher
Any way to wipe this drive?

kony writes:

Regardless, you do bring up a good point I had not
considered, that if they made a huge blunder and somehow
managed to divert some returned drive to replacement...
Forum: General June 16th 08, 02:46 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 77
Posted By David Lesher
Any way to wipe this drive?

kony writes:

Regardless, you do bring up a good point I had not
considered, that if they made a huge blunder and somehow
managed to divert some returned drive to replacement...
Forum: Storage (alternative) June 14th 08, 08:07 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 80
Posted By David Lesher
Any way to wipe this drive?

kony writes:

Just send the drive in as-is. They could not allow anyone
to steal data off of drives as it would ruin their business,

I got a replacement laptop drive from...
Forum: General June 14th 08, 08:07 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 77
Posted By David Lesher
Any way to wipe this drive?

kony writes:

Just send the drive in as-is. They could not allow anyone
to steal data off of drives as it would ruin their business,

I got a replacement laptop drive from...
Forum: Storage (alternative) June 5th 08, 07:13 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 13
Posted By David Lesher
The origin of RAID

"Squeeze" writes:

DEC's had, for example, RA81's, a 400 MB, 14 inch platter monster.
I recall the DEC Field Circus guy might as well as had a cot next to
Showing results 1 to 25 of 44