Showing results 1 to 25 of 39
Search took 0.06 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Terje Mathisen
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 1st 08, 06:47 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Replies: 318
Posted By Terje Mathisen
Von Neumann and revisionists [ Future architectures [was Intel details future Larrabee ...]]

Andrew Reilly wrote:
They may very well show you that they're running at 100% in a CPU use
meter administered by a time-sharing OS, but do you know how much of that
100% is the processor...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 31st 08, 07:53 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Replies: 318
Posted By Terje Mathisen
Future architectures [was Intel details future Larrabee ...]

Wilco Dijkstra wrote:
"Terje Mathisen" wrote in message ...
Every single (int) cast of a fp variable in a C...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 30th 08, 07:21 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Replies: 318
Posted By Terje Mathisen
Future architectures [was Intel details future Larrabee ...]

JosephKK wrote:
Actually they are not really in band nor denormal. They used codes
that do not occur in the standard value encodings. And there any many
more unused encodings than the 5 or so...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 30th 08, 07:17 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Replies: 318
Posted By Terje Mathisen
Future architectures [was Intel details future Larrabee ...]

Wilco Dijkstra wrote:
IEEE achieved its objective a long time ago: just about all hardware
and software uses it. So that is not the problem. However it doesn't
explicitly allow a subset of the...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 27th 08, 05:05 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Replies: 318
Posted By Terje Mathisen
Future architectures [was Intel details future Larrabee ...]

Wilco Dijkstra wrote:
"MooseFET" wrote in message
A base 256 number with a longer mantissa speeds up adding and
subtracting at the cost of some speed in the multiply and...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 26th 08, 01:08 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Replies: 318
Posted By Terje Mathisen

Wilco Dijkstra wrote:
"Terje Mathisen" wrote in message ...
if (((x + 0x800000) & 0x7f000000) != 0 && ((y +...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 26th 08, 12:51 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Replies: 318
Posted By Terje Mathisen
Future architectures [was Intel details future Larrabee ...]

JosephKK wrote:
On 25 Aug 2008 18:32:43 GMT, (Nick Maclaren) wrote:
That doesn't help with denormals, though! You can't always use them
in denormalised form, and can...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 25th 08, 08:41 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Replies: 318
Posted By Terje Mathisen
Future architectures [was Intel details future Larrabee ...]

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Terje Mathisen writes:
| BitScan() isn't really needed at this particular point,...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 25th 08, 08:31 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Replies: 318
Posted By Terje Mathisen

Wilco Dijkstra wrote:
"Terje Mathisen" wrote in message ...
Nick Maclaren wrote:
If you can decode an IEEE 754...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 25th 08, 06:50 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Replies: 318
Posted By Terje Mathisen
Future architectures [was Intel details future Larrabee ...]

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Terje Mathisen writes:

| If you can decode an IEEE 754 value in 3-5...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 25th 08, 02:08 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Replies: 318
Posted By Terje Mathisen
Future architectures [was Intel details future Larrabee ...]

Wilco Dijkstra wrote:
I'm aware there are 2 decimal formats, but one only has to deal with one
at a time. Converting the binary format into the BCD one is indeed
very expensive, but that is not...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 25th 08, 01:41 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Replies: 318
Posted By Terje Mathisen
Future architectures [was Intel details future Larrabee ...]

Nick Maclaren wrote:
Note that, if you are timing the algorithm on its own, that often
isn't obvious. But, when it is embedded in a real application, you
have to budget for what it does to...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 25th 08, 12:00 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Replies: 318
Posted By Terje Mathisen
Future architectures [was Intel details future Larrabee ...]

Nick Maclaren wrote:
If you can decode an IEEE 754 value in 3-5 instructions, and get all
of the special cases right, then it has hardware assistance. Note
that merely breaking the number up...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 25th 08, 06:54 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Replies: 318
Posted By Terje Mathisen
Future architectures [was Intel details future Larrabee ...]

MooseFET wrote:
Yes, I have heard of the SWAP and exchange instructions. Take a look
at what they do to a 32 bit field and compare that to the operation
needed to convert big and little endian...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 25th 08, 06:48 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Replies: 318
Posted By Terje Mathisen
Future architectures

wrote:
Dennis writes:
Besides on _x86_ bswap also is limited to 16/32 bit quantities, bswapq
is x86_64 material.

OTOH, x86 (32-bit) have had MMX...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 23rd 08, 06:26 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Replies: 318
Posted By Terje Mathisen
Future architectures [was Intel details future Larrabee ...]

MooseFET wrote:
The simplest case is when you have to swap the byte order of multi-
byte numbers. Many processors can exchange two bytes but I don't know
of any that can reverse the order of a...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 23rd 08, 06:24 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Replies: 318
Posted By Terje Mathisen
Future architectures [was Intel details future Larrabee ...]

Nick Maclaren wrote:
With the current ISAs, doing that sort of bit-munging in software
can be a hundred times as expensive as it could be done in a very
small amount of hardware.

Some of...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 19th 08, 08:07 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Replies: 318
Posted By Terje Mathisen
Intel details future Larrabee graphics chip

Wilco Dijkstra wrote:
I like the lookup in a register method. I once did something like this:

uint8 table[32] = { ... };

int log2_floor(unsigned x)
{
if (x == 0)
return...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 14th 08, 01:46 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design

Wilco Dijkstra wrote:
"Terje Mathisen" wrote in message ...
How many ways can you define such a function?

The only...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 14th 08, 07:45 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Replies: 318
Posted By Terje Mathisen
Intel details future Larrabee graphics chip

Wilco Dijkstra wrote:
time consuming ISO process used. One of the funny moments was when I
spotted 5 mistakes in a 20-line function that calculated the log2 of an integer
during a code review....
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 13th 08, 07:24 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Replies: 318
Posted By Terje Mathisen
Intel details future Larrabee graphics chip

Wilco Dijkstra wrote:
It will draw fire from the C is always wonderful crowd but I expect you can live with that. And it isn't strictly the
C language that is at fault. There is plenty of good...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 13th 08, 07:08 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Replies: 318
Posted By Terje Mathisen
Intel details future Larrabee graphics chip

Martin Brown wrote:
Agreed. I have lost count of the number of places that have looked
awfully hurt when I ran static testing software against their production
codebase and found lots of...
Forum: AMD x86-64 Processors June 13th 08, 04:10 PM Posted to comp.sys.super,comp.arch,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.games.video.sony-playstation3
Replies: 22
Posted By Terje Mathisen
Roadrunner Supercomputer using 12,960 CELL Processors Hits 1PetaFlop ?(1000 TeraFlops) of double-precision FP Performance

Robert Redelmeier wrote:
Multi-CPU clusters are still being built. Imagine being able
to simulate vehicle collisions -- designers would be able
to determine where metal could be added or other...
Forum: General June 13th 08, 04:10 PM Posted to comp.sys.super,comp.arch,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.games.video.sony-playstation3
Replies: 29

Robert Redelmeier wrote:
Multi-CPU clusters are still being built. Imagine being able
to simulate vehicle collisions -- designers would be able
to determine where metal could be added or other...
Forum: AMD x86-64 Processors December 22nd 07, 06:39 PM Posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.video,comp.arch
Replies: 3
Posted By Terje Mathisen
Intel talking to Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony about TFLOP chipsfor NEXT generation game systems after being locked out of current-gen

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article ,
Terje Mathisen writes:
| Bill Davidsen wrote: