Showing results 1 to 25 of 72
Search took 0.15 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Nick Maclaren
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 31st 08, 01:19 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Replies: 318
Posted By Nick Maclaren
Future architectures [was Intel details future Larrabee ...]

In article ,
MooseFET writes:

| I had seen the implied bit idea elsewhere. The idea of using up...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 30th 08, 08:19 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design

JosephKK writes:

| Also, you are ignoring the fact that almost all programs use languages
| other than...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 30th 08, 07:54 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design

JosephKK writes:
| In article ,
| "Wilco Dijkstra"...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 30th 08, 06:47 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design

"Wilco Dijkstra" writes:

| No, the implementation defined aspects don't lead to different results.
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 30th 08, 04:40 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design

"Wilco Dijkstra" writes:

| | IEEE achieved its objective a long time ago: just about all hardware
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 30th 08, 12:47 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design

"Wilco Dijkstra" writes:

| | | The IEEE format is pretty well thought out.
| |
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 29th 08, 09:50 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design

"Wilco Dijkstra" writes:

| | The IEEE format is pretty well thought out.
|
| That is a matter...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 29th 08, 06:25 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design

"Wilco Dijkstra" writes:

| The IEEE format is pretty well thought out.

That is a matter of opinion. A...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 27th 08, 03:06 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design

MooseFET writes:

| I think the "it all always happens" thinking of analog circuit design
| is...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 27th 08, 09:16 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design

(Rob Warnock) writes:

| +---------------
| | | My guess would be the rise of separate I & D on-chip caches, which
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 27th 08, 09:11 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design

JosephKK writes:

| | Would you kindly explain to me how to normalize a denormal without
| | expanding the...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 26th 08, 07:25 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design

glen herrmannsfeldt writes:

| I didn't say "by 1960" but "by the 1960s". The first machines I know
| of...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 26th 08, 02:49 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design

MooseFET writes:
| On Aug 26, 7:51 pm, Terje Mathisen
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 26th 08, 08:18 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design

JosephKK writes:

| Would you kindly explain to me how to normalize a denormal without
| expanding the exponent...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 25th 08, 09:39 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design

Terje Mathisen writes:
| Wilco Dijkstra wrote:

| In most cases I need just one easily...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 25th 08, 07:32 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design

Terje Mathisen writes:

| | If you can do the same as most hw, i.e. punting at Inf/NaN/Denorm,
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 25th 08, 02:55 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design

MooseFET writes:
| On Aug 24, 8:25 pm, "Wilco Dijkstra"
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 25th 08, 02:05 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Replies: 318
Posted By Nick Maclaren
Von Neumann and revisionists [ Future architectures [was Intel details future Larrabee ...]]

In article ,
writes:

| http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=359579
|
| Sorry, ACM portal...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 25th 08, 01:36 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design

writes:

| Conclusion: the people that use the term "Von Neumann architecture" as
| a...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 25th 08, 12:28 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design

Terje Mathisen writes:

| If you can decode an IEEE 754 value in 3-5 instructions, and get all
| of the...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 25th 08, 12:09 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design

writes:

| Well, separate I and D caches was a well-established technology by
| the...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 25th 08, 12:03 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design

writes:

| Indeed. But it STILL doesn't answer my question, which is why the
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 25th 08, 11:32 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design

(Rob Warnock) writes:
| Nick Maclaren wrote:
| +---------------
| | Aside: does anyone know why the...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 24th 08, 04:08 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design

JosephKK writes:

| Try writing code to unpick an IEEE 754 floating-point number; once
| you have done that,...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 24th 08, 02:56 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design

Terje Mathisen writes:

| With the current ISAs, doing that sort of bit-munging in software
| can...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 72