Showing results 1 to 17 of 17
Search took 0.08 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Jim
Forum: General November 21st 06, 10:17 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 7
Posted By Jim
Hard drive question

I agree w/ Patrick, it's hard to be definitive w/o knowing the software.
I've never actually tried to multi-partition an external drive, so I'm not
sure if by doing so you would end up w/...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 18th 06, 03:21 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 20
Posted By Jim
Combining 2 hard drives into 1?

Ok, let's slow down a bit here, because there are some misconceptions being
stipulated here.

The two drives in RAID0 (or any other raid config) do NOT have to be
identical! All that will happen is...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 17th 06, 03:18 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 20
Posted By Jim
Combining 2 hard drives into 1?

"Mike T." wrote in message

"Sultin" wrote in message
Forum: Storage (alternative) November 17th 06, 03:37 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 8
Posted By Jim
Why Did SpinRite 5 Care About Filesystem Type?

Well, to be honest, I'm not 100% sure myself. But I can speculate why for
at least one reason.

First, I'm not sure Spinrite does work at the track level, but instead at
the sector level. At least...
Forum: Storage (alternative) November 10th 06, 04:38 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 25
Posted By Jim
floppy

I'm still confused. Assuming it was even possible, if the floppy drives
must be connected to each other over their respective I/O ports, then
obviously they are not connected to the PC at that time....
Forum: Storage (alternative) November 5th 06, 04:44 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 2
Posted By Jim
Recovery of data from corrupt Windows Vista install

You will need at a minimum a bootable OS. Since I don't know all the tools
available to you, it's a little diificult to provide an exact recovery
sequence. But there are several avenues. For...
Forum: Storage (alternative) November 4th 06, 07:18 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 3
Posted By Jim
BootIt NG high level steps - best approach??

In all honesty, I don't understand all the concern for a bootable USB flash
drive. I'm not sure, but I'm guessing that you don't have a floppy option,
so should your system fail to boot, you're...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 1st 06, 06:34 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 3
Posted By Jim
Kingston 1 GB memory stick

What OS?

"Rollingstone06" wrote in message
The manual says simply hook into a USB port, and that thereafter Data
Traveller II Plus...
Forum: General October 27th 06, 01:25 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 16
Posted By Jim
WHat's dead ...my CPU or my mobo?

Any chance your mobo is suffering from the infamouse leaking capacitors
problem??!!

Many mobos that date back to that period ran into this problem, esp. w/ the
KT133 and similar boards. The classic...
Forum: General September 18th 06, 07:36 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 8
Posted By Jim
partition

wrote in message
Is there a way to partition a hard drive with an existing OS on it
without disturbing the...
Forum: General September 9th 06, 08:23 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 3
Posted By Jim
RAID

wrote in message
Do two hard drives need to be physically identical to work with RAID?

Thanks.

The only...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 8th 06, 06:11 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 2
Posted By Jim
Setup RAID 0 in mobo supplied configurator or in XP as a dynamic disk config?

"ridergroov" wrote in message
Which one is safer? Which would be faster? Thanks!

Not sure about which is...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 8th 06, 05:23 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By Jim
Access to BIOS

"Nel" wrote in message
I was talking to a colleague about my PC's BIOS. The machine is a
Mediacenter machine that is more...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 8th 06, 05:13 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 6
Posted By Jim
Password versus Encryption

"Bonnee Peebles" wrote in message
HELLO.

I got my girlfriend a 512 MEG memory drive that you put in your one...
Forum: General September 8th 06, 04:10 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 4
Posted By Jim
Boot Problem

Do a repair install using your XP CD.
Forum: AMD Thunderbird Processors April 16th 04, 05:52 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Replies: 5
Posted By Jim
KT7 and KT7A Raid boards/cpu's

The problem w/ any older motherboard, especially w/ AMD processors, is
always *available* CPU support. With everything from Duron, Athlon, Athlon
XP, mobiles, 200FSB, 266FSB, Barton 333FSB, yada,...
Forum: AMD Thunderbird Processors April 11th 04, 06:33 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.thunderbird
Replies: 2
Posted By Jim
Thunderbird and fsb

Ok, you got all the buzz words, just not arranged correctly ;)

The FSB is a function of the CPU, not memory or motherboard. Your older
Athlon CPU *is* a 100MHz FSB. This FSB is then multipled by...
Showing results 1 to 17 of 17