Showing results 1 to 25 of 102
Search took 0.27 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Mac Cool
Forum: General September 30th 11, 08:47 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 10
Posted By Mac Cool
Is Usenet getting smaller?

Joel:

You mean save TIME not $$$$?

No I'm just making fun of your characterization of "real" usenet users.

I started with 300 bps and the phone
line was only good at around 110bps.

Forum: General August 29th 11, 08:11 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 10
Posted By Mac Cool
Is Usenet getting smaller?

Joel:

Most real Usener users don't readf/write online, but most do offline
using offline Usenet reader.

So you can save $$ with your 1200 baud modem.
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 20th 11, 04:18 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 1
Posted By Mac Cool
Just for fun... My systems over the years

I was cleaning out my docs folder and found this list of systems I've
owned over the years, thought someone might get a kick out of it. I also
wrote down the main games I was playing at the time,...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 18th 11, 07:25 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 3
Posted By Mac Cool
Updating my '06 machine, feedback appreciated

Paul:

There is a difference between what P67, H67 are good for. One makes
overclocking easier, the other makes QuickSync available. This
article gives some background. P67 motherboards have no...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 18th 11, 04:26 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 3
Posted By Mac Cool
Updating my '06 machine, feedback appreciated

Built my current machine in '06 and it's time for an update. Here is my
list of parts I'm considering and I'd like any feedback. I do some
design with CorelDraw, otherwise it's used for basic...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 17th 11, 08:34 PM Posted to alt.computer,alt.computer.workshop,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 20
Posted By Mac Cool
where to get WordPad for Windows 98?

:

Is there something free that would open them, and make new documents
as easily as WordPad did/does where you can just paste in .jpgs and
enter text, and can carry around on a thumbdrive so...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 26th 10, 06:57 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By Mac Cool
Any recommendations on a AM2+ motherboard

Man-wai Chang:

With AMD chipset? I've been reading reviews and haven't found
anything that really gets rave reviews. I would like to have IDE,
and AMD chipset and the rest is flexible. I'm...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 23rd 10, 05:59 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By Mac Cool
Any recommendations on a AM2+ motherboard

With AMD chipset? I've been reading reviews and haven't found anything
that really gets rave reviews. I would like to have IDE, and AMD chipset
and the rest is flexible. I'm planning on using a...
Forum: Intel June 12th 10, 10:08 PM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 11
Posted By Mac Cool
Worth upgrading?

Yousuf Khan:

I think AMD systems will probably make a quantum leap advance in
stability nowadays as AMD itself is now manufacturing all of the
chipsets for its own processors. Nvidia has...
Forum: Intel June 11th 10, 08:41 PM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 11
Posted By Mac Cool
Worth upgrading?

Nate Edel:

It may not be the optimal choice for your applications, though:

Yeah, this is what I'm struggling with. I suspect it will be fine on the
transcoding. Heck my 5400 protests (runs very...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 11th 10, 08:37 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 46
Posted By Mac Cool
I may be switching from FF to IE

shegeek72:

Several reasons: alt.fan.mozilla seems the most appropriate ng.
However, last time I checked activity was low and it's riddled with
spam,

news.mozilla.org is what you want
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 11th 10, 07:42 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 0
Posted By Mac Cool
Considering my options...

I have an X2 5400+ system I'm looking to upgrade and I'm considering the
following chips: i3 530, Phenom II X4 940. Pricewise they are similar with
the Phenom having the performance edge. But over...
Forum: Intel June 10th 10, 08:22 AM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 11
Posted By Mac Cool
Worth upgrading?

ECS GeForce6100SM-M (1.0) AM2 NVIDIA GeForce 6100S Micro ATX AMD
Motherboard
Athlon 64 X2 5400+
2GB RAM, WinXP

I want to switch over to an intel processor and I'm considering the i3 530
or the i5...
Forum: AMD x86-64 Processors June 27th 08, 07:41 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Replies: 8
Posted By Mac Cool
My X2 5400 is running too hot

Wes Newell:

Actually, I meant cutting a round hole in the cover in line with the cpu
cooler and ducting the outside air to the cooler fan using an air duct.
But this may be too much of an...
Forum: AMD x86-64 Processors June 27th 08, 07:23 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Replies: 8
Posted By Mac Cool
My X2 5400 is running too hot

R. C. White:

Hmmm... I don't see the word "tape" in Wes's post. :^}

Oh man, reading is fundamental. At least I got what he meant even if I
didn't read what he wrote.
Forum: AMD x86-64 Processors June 27th 08, 02:37 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Replies: 8
Posted By Mac Cool
My X2 5400 is running too hot

Wes Newell:

Your case temp2 is way too high if it's accurate. CPU being only 18C
above that during load isn't bad. You could duct the cpu fan to the
side panel, or install a front intake fan....
Forum: AMD x86-64 Processors June 27th 08, 12:16 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64
Replies: 8
Posted By Mac Cool
My X2 5400 is running too hot

I upgraded my machine from a Sempron 3000 to an X2 5400 and it's running
too hot, about 55c average, jumps to 62-65 under load. I'm using the stock
heat sink/fan but I still don't think it should...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's May 19th 08, 04:16 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 110
Posted By Mac Cool
Is it worth buying 4GB RAM for an XP machine?

Claude Hopper (11) 5. ?:

Get 4 gig. It will come in handy when you convert to Linux and a dual
boot machine.

If linux actually worked I wouldn't need to dual boot. I'll stick with the
one OS...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's May 19th 08, 04:14 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 110
Posted By Mac Cool
Is it worth buying 4GB RAM for an XP machine?

You know the one damning thing that you've written... you admit to using
XP at both home and work. For all your fervor, you cannot function
without XP.

class_a:
If you don't do kernel updates...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's May 16th 08, 02:18 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 110
Posted By Mac Cool
Is it worth buying 4GB RAM for an XP machine?

Claude Hopper (11) 5. ?:

I have a laptop that came with Windows XP media center. I shrunk the
partition and loaded Opensuse 10.3 Linux. Opensuse automatically
created a dual boot menu so I...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's May 16th 08, 02:16 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 110
Posted By Mac Cool
Is it worth buying 4GB RAM for an XP machine?

Your entire post is full of tired myths and worn out cliches that linux
users have been spreading for over a decade.

class_a:

Sorry, but XP is most certainly not a 100% stable OS.

False. Maybe...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's May 16th 08, 01:10 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 110
Posted By Mac Cool
Is it worth buying 4GB RAM for an XP machine?

nobody :

IF it was such a "100% stable" (??) opsys, why do I have to reboot my
work machine daily (or more) just to be able to print MS Word docs?

Maybe you have a junky computer, maybe you...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's May 15th 08, 02:43 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 110
Posted By Mac Cool
Is it worth buying 4GB RAM for an XP machine?

class_a:

Why would I want less functionality and stability than I already
have with XP?

You're kidding, right?

Why would I be kidding. XP is a 100% stable OS with far more functionality...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's May 15th 08, 02:32 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 110
Posted By Mac Cool
Is it worth buying 4GB RAM for an XP machine?

Claude Hopper (11) 5. ?:

Your thinking is old hat.

I take that to mean you can't refute it.
Forum: Homebuilt PC's May 15th 08, 03:53 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 110
Posted By Mac Cool
Is it worth buying 4GB RAM for an XP machine?

Claude Hopper (11) 5. ?:

Get 4 gig. It will come in handy when you convert to Linux and a dual
boot machine.

Why would I want less functionality and stability than I already have with
XP? The...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 102