Showing results 1 to 25 of 500
Search took 0.38 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Mike Easter
Forum: General September 21st 20, 11:29 PM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.microsoft.windows,alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 12
Posted By Mike Easter
What PC hardware diagnostic stress-testing freeware can yourecommend?

Arlen Holder wrote:
Mike Easter wrote:

Likewise, I think using it for your daily driver is a disadvantage in
the diagnosis business. The tweaked OS has two many unknowns.

It hasn't...
Forum: General January 6th 20, 07:38 PM Posted to alt.os.linux,alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 4
Posted By Mike Easter
Old hardware

VanguardLH wrote:
If it still has its original battery, that's too old for the battery.

I 'preserved' its battery.

Almost its entire life it was 'sessile'. I read somewhere that the best
way to...
Forum: General January 6th 20, 06:38 PM Posted to alt.os.linux,alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 4
Posted By Mike Easter
Old hardware

Boo hoo. My vintage '08 laptop died. It was branded eMachines D620,
but its heritage was Gateway acquired by Acer '07, and the name was dc/d
about 6 y later. Its hardware was a mobile Athlon...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 8th 17, 11:40 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 6
Posted By Mike Easter
Compaq Evo boot time beep codes

Hul Tytus wrote:
Anyone know the meaning of the boot time beep code: beep beep pause beep?
This occurs somewhere in the boot sequence and the machine stalls.

There were a lot of different EVO/s....
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 25th 17, 12:20 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 6
Posted By Mike Easter
Ha ha ha I did it: I got an old XP PC running, surprised myself(Dell Dimension E510 from 2006 surplus)

Mike Easter wrote:
It is more than a P5 or P6, more like a P7 - Netburst.

This article would call it a i786 -...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 24th 17, 10:16 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 6
Posted By Mike Easter
Ha ha ha I did it: I got an old XP PC running, surprised myself(Dell Dimension E510 from 2006 surplus)

RayLopez99 wrote:
I guess technically a Pentium D is a 586 chip, not a 486,

No; more advanced than just '586-like'.

Steps: 486, Pentium, Pro, then Pent II, III, 4, then Pent D.

The 586 term...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 24th 17, 03:41 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 6
Posted By Mike Easter
Ha ha ha I did it: I got an old XP PC running, surprised myself(Dell Dimension E510 from 2006 surplus)

RayLopez99 wrote:
Dell Dimension E510

There's a service manual covering getting into the case, the screwless
hdd insert/remove, diagnostic...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 3rd 17, 04:59 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 11
Posted By Mike Easter
internet connection problem - hardware or O/S?

Yes wrote:
9. the web surfing pc recognized that it was connected using a wired
connection, and I
could access the internet again

That part means that the lspci and inxi I suggested...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 1st 17, 10:18 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 11
Posted By Mike Easter
internet connection problem - hardware or O/S?

Mike Easter wrote:
apt get install inxi

put a sudo in there and off the get -- doh.

sudo apt install inxi

--
Mike Easter
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 1st 17, 10:10 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 11
Posted By Mike Easter
internet connection problem - hardware or O/S?

Yes wrote:
problem pc h/w
mobo: ASUS B150M-

That Intel B150 chipset uses the Realtek RTL8111H.

You should be able to see the hardware with

lspci
Forum: Storage (alternative) April 26th 17, 05:37 PM Posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 45
Posted By Mike Easter
USB stick leaking

J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
one of the yachts in [I think it was] the Americas Cup had a keel made
of uranium, I think because it's very heavy [and probably not as soft as
lead].)

I don't...
Forum: Storage (alternative) April 24th 17, 09:32 PM Posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 45
Posted By Mike Easter
USB stick leaking

Paul wrote:
And the metalloid, I've not heard that term before. Apparently,
that's English for "we've having trouble categorizing the
properties of this material"

The eternal war between the...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 23rd 17, 04:12 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 20
Posted By Mike Easter
Strange new pdf animal? Anyone know how to print it?

John B. Smith wrote:
VanguardLH wrote:

"Print our standard paper Form IT-201, Resident Income Tax Return

I'll be damned. I was on that page when I was desperately searching
for something...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 16th 17, 11:02 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 1
Posted By Mike Easter
Computer would not stop opening bios settings

wrote:
the USB mouse was causing all of this. I plugged in a mini-DIN mouse
and reset my bios to the previous settings and XP loaded fine.

Nice report.

--
Mike Easter
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 7th 17, 05:00 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

skybuck wrote:
Bought new plastic shoes,

If you are going to wear plastic shoes, get some anti-static grounding
strips - your choice, disposable or re-usable.

--
Mike Easter
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 31st 16, 07:50 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

Paul wrote:
Mike Easter wrote:
wrote:
http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-review-leaked/

Says "It’s official, folks, AMD is back."

Not exactly official (yet);...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 31st 16, 06:35 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 3
Posted By Mike Easter
AMD Zen review

wrote:
http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-review-leaked/

Says "It’s official, folks, AMD is back."

Not exactly official (yet); still in the leak stage.

Outperforming a $434...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 18th 16, 09:39 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 17
Posted By Mike Easter
Ping Paul - CMOS Battery

Paul wrote:
Mike Easter wrote:

It is 'inconceivable' (as in 'I don't understand') to me how 2
consecutive mobos would not be able to keep their CMOS batteries
charged by being powered up...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 18th 16, 04:37 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 17
Posted By Mike Easter
Ping Paul - CMOS Battery

MrTsquare wrote:
Just guessing, but comp is probably on 30 ±10 hrs per month. Its now
set up to have the PS on all the time.

I have no way of quantifying my opinion, but it would seem to me...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 17th 16, 09:21 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 17
Posted By Mike Easter
Ping Paul - CMOS Battery

MrTsquare wrote:
I guess I'll try your thought of leaving the power supply
turned on.

- roughly how many hours per week (or month) is this computer turned on?
- instead of turning its PS...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 8th 16, 10:58 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 11
Posted By Mike Easter
upgrade/compatibility question ECS PT800CD-A mobo

Yes wrote:
I bought a Western Digital WD1003FZEX (1TB HD SATA) and hooked it up to
the SATA connector on the mobo. The hd is not recognized at boot up,
and I've changed various BIOS settings...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 17th 16, 05:07 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 10
Posted By Mike Easter
Using EasyBCD's BIOS Extender

John B. Smith wrote:
Thinking about ImgBurn to plunk Kaspersky onto the key. I suppose
Kaspersky wouldn't have went to the trouble of giving me a
rescue2usb.exe if that would work.

I used...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 16th 16, 11:20 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 10
Posted By Mike Easter
Using EasyBCD's BIOS Extender

John B. Smith wrote:
So... my question: anybody tried this PLoP? Anybody have any other
idea about how I could boot a USB Kasperky's Rescue disk if I can't
make my native BIOS do it?

I use...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 11th 16, 02:45 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 1
Posted By Mike Easter
Would like to replace old Android with new Windows 10inch

johns wrote:
My android is so old and slow it no longer works for much of what I
need. Do you have any tested suggestions for a replacement. To me,
the android is all about memorizing how it...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 12th 16, 03:51 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 19
Posted By Mike Easter
Task Manager is acting up, how to repair? Windows 10 recoveryoptions are overkill

RayLopez99 wrote:

I could not do either Update or Reinstall Clean but keep apps,
because it kept asking for the Product Key, which I don't know (I
upgraded from a licensed Windows 7 to Windows...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 500