Showing results 1 to 25 of 225
Search took 0.14 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Percival P. Cassidy
Forum: Storage (alternative) December 16th 20, 05:39 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 0
Forget those hard disks and SSD: 580TB on a tape cartridge!?

https://gizmodo.com/a-new-breakthrough-in-tape-storage-could-squeeze-580-tb-1845851499
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 2nd 20, 04:49 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 5
Macrium Reflect image restored to dissimilar x64 hardware does what? Paging Paul, Flasherly, Mr. Chang

On 10/2/20 10:20 AM, RayLopez99 wrote:
The scenario: I have a x64 bit Windows 10 machine that's a laptop with decent but 5+ year old hardware, e.g., an SSD but an Intel i5 chip with 4 GB RAM.

Forum: Storage (alternative) August 21st 20, 02:44 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 1
SAS drive permanently "busy"?

Being in need or a spare 6TB drive for my FreeNAS machine, I found a
Seagate-recertified SAS drive with more then 4 years warranty remaining.
But whether I plug it into a motherboard SAS port or a...
Forum: General August 15th 20, 09:02 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 10
"Repair" hard disk with bad sectors by reading and rewriting samedata?

On 8/15/20 12:24 AM, VanguardLH wrote:
"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:

On 8/14/20 4:44 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
VanguardLH wrote:

Seagate has their...
Forum: General August 14th 20, 11:07 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 10
"Repair" hard disk with bad sectors by reading and rewriting same data?

On 8/14/20 4:44 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
VanguardLH wrote:

Seagate has their own SeaTools you might try. Make a bootable CD from
which to run their software. That way, the bad...
Forum: General August 14th 20, 07:54 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 10
"Repair" hard disk with bad sectors by reading and rewriting same data?

On 8/13/20 3:18 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote:

I have a 6TB drive that shows 8 bad sectors. Would it be possible to
repair it without harm to the...
Forum: General August 13th 20, 06:59 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 10
"Repair" hard disk with bad sectors by reading and rewriting samedata?

I have a 6TB drive that shows 8 bad sectors. Would it be possible to
repair it without harm to the data using

dd if=/dev/daX of=/dev/daX (and perhaps with bs settinng as well) ??

Perce
Forum: General August 10th 20, 10:22 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 1
Old hard drive resale prices

I was going through my stash of pensioned-off hard drives today and out
of curiosity looked at the prices they are getting on eBay (not the
asking prices but the completed-sale prices).

E.g.,...
Forum: Storage (alternative) August 4th 20, 03:21 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 18
"Western Digital releases new 18TB, 20TB EAMR drives"

On 7/19/20 9:05 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
On 7/18/2020 1:41 PM, Mark Perkins wrote:
On Sat, 18 Jul 2020 11:42:06 -0400, Yousuf Khan
wrote:

On 7/16/2020 5:39...
Forum: Storage (alternative) May 13th 20, 07:19 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 3
"Backblaze Hard Drive Stats Q1 2020"

On 5/12/20 6:27 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:

"Backblaze Hard Drive Stats Q1 2020"
Â*Â* https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backblaze-hard-drive-stats-q1-2020/

"At the end of Q1 2020, Backblaze was...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 10th 19, 09:27 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 3
“How Backblaze Buys Hard Drivesâ€

On 12/10/19 3:01 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:

“How Backblaze Buys Hard Drivesâ€
Â*Â* https://www.backblaze.com/blog/how-backblaze-buys-hard-drives/

“As the person on staff ultimately...
Forum: Storage (alternative) November 8th 19, 05:15 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 12
Seagate plans 50TB spinning rust by 2026

https://techreport.com/news/3466913/seagate-50tb-hard-drive-roadmap/
Forum: Storage (alternative) July 2nd 19, 11:17 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 5
S.M.A.R.T. reports bad sectors, but badblocks no errors?

On 7/2/19 5:44 PM, Grant Taylor wrote:

Now, after just one more run of badblocks, S.M.A.R.T. reports no
errors. So I assume that now a spare block is in use.

So, the disk likely did have...
Forum: Storage (alternative) July 2nd 19, 09:49 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 5
S.M.A.R.T. reports bad sectors, but badblocks no errors?

On 7/2/19 2:31 PM, Grant Taylor wrote:

What should I make of a drive for which S.M.A.R.T. reports 8 bad
sectors (a single 4K block, I assume), but badblocks reports no errors
on a...
Forum: Storage (alternative) July 2nd 19, 05:41 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 5
S.M.A.R.T. reports bad sectors, but badblocks no errors?

What should I make of a drive for which S.M.A.R.T. reports 8 bad sectors
(a single 4K block, I assume), but badblocks reports no errors on a
read-write test?

Perce
Forum: Storage (alternative) June 28th 19, 12:50 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 4
External drives may contain refurbished drives!

On 6/4/19 8:44 PM, I wrote:

I just read a piece by BackBlaze discussing the best kinds of drives to
use for various purposes, and I noticed that they claim that external
drives *may* contain...
Forum: Storage (alternative) June 18th 19, 08:15 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 2
Correction: What's inside a WD *Elements* external drive?

On 6/18/19 3:08 PM, I wrote:

You won't know until you shuck it: Amazon reviews and answers to
questions concerning WD Essentials USB3 external drives show that what's
inside may vary -- some...
Forum: Storage (alternative) June 18th 19, 08:08 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 2
What's inside a WD Essentials external drive?

You won't know until you shuck it: Amazon reviews and answers to
questions concerning WD Essentials USB3 external drives show that what's
inside may vary -- some "white label," some HGST datacenter...
Forum: Storage (alternative) June 16th 19, 10:54 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 2
So many online reviews are a mess

On 6/15/19 4:06 PM, VanguardLH wrote:

It's occurred to me that now, with such vendors as Amazon and NewEgg
listing items that are actually sold by other vendors, it's impossible
to be sure...
Forum: Storage (alternative) June 15th 19, 05:28 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 2
So many online reviews are a mess

It's occurred to me that now, with such vendors as Amazon and NewEgg
listing items that are actually sold by other vendors, it's impossible
to be sure to what items a review is referring: is the...
Forum: Storage (alternative) June 15th 19, 02:15 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 0
(Un)Reliable vendors of "renewed/"refurbished" drives?

I'm considering buying some "renewed/"refurbished" drives -- typically
"enterprise" models that presumably have been replaced according to a
"just in case" schedule.

Are there vendors of such...
Forum: Storage (alternative) June 14th 19, 10:40 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 5
My latest Seagate HDD longevity report

On 5/31/19 9:33 AM, Shadow wrote:

An ST2000DM001 that has clocked up a smidgeon under 5 years (3 years
longer than its warranty) of 24/7/365 operation in my FreeNAS machine
has just...
Forum: Storage (alternative) June 14th 19, 10:37 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

On 6/4/19 8:33 PM, I wrote:

An ST2000DM001 that has clocked up a smidgeon under 5 years (3 years
longer than its warranty) of 24/7/365 operation in my FreeNAS machine
has just reported...
Forum: Asus Motherboards June 12th 19, 04:07 AM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Replies: 3
Prime Z370-A: hot-swap problem

On 6/11/19 10:29 PM, Paul wrote:

I have a front-panel-mounted drive bay and also an eSATA + USB2
docking station. I have hot-swap enabled for the appropriate SATA
ports, but hot-swapping...
Forum: Asus Motherboards June 12th 19, 02:30 AM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Replies: 3
Prime Z370-A: hot-swap problem

I have a front-panel-mounted drive bay and also an eSATA + USB2 docking
station. I have hot-swap enabled for the appropriate SATA ports, but
hot-swapping does not work in either: the Prime Z370-A...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 225