Showing results 1 to 25 of 31
Search took 0.03 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: John Keiser
Forum: Printers February 29th 12, 07:40 PM Posted to comp.periphs.printers
Replies: 7
Posted By John Keiser
typical shelf or unused life for toner cartridges?

I found an original HP 12A in an unopened box in the back of my storage
shlef. Unsealed and I installed a few weeks ago. Disappointed to find only
the faintest of print.
Shaking didn't help.
Any...
Forum: General September 23rd 11, 02:31 AM Posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 25
Posted By John Keiser
eMachine won't keep time

FWIW this issue could be in the hardwa
I have my BIOS set to automatically boot every morning. When it became
erratic and then stopped automatically booting, I played with the BIOS until
I...
Forum: General February 4th 11, 12:28 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.repair
Replies: 20
Posted By John Keiser
motherboard pwr_on pins resistance?

I modified the "crush" method: I snipped a test cap in half with wire
snips. The bottom half then pulls right off the internal connectors,
leaving two nice pegs for a tack solder.
Access could be...
Forum: General February 3rd 11, 06:40 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.repair
Replies: 20
Posted By John Keiser
motherboard pwr_on pins resistance?

I have practiced removing caps on old MB's and I find it not so easy.
I like this idea a lot and will give it a try.
Thanks for the suggestion.

"William Sommerwerck" ...
Forum: General February 3rd 11, 04:20 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.repair
Replies: 20
Posted By John Keiser
motherboard pwr_on pins resistance?

On closer inspection, I do see a bulging cap near the cmos. Runs very hot
to touch so highly suspect.
Not sure if I can replace.

"Paul" wrote in message...
Forum: General February 2nd 11, 04:48 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.repair
Replies: 20
Posted By John Keiser
motherboard pwr_on pins resistance?

Same result when booting to a CD: power light comes on but process proceeds
no further. Not a HD issue.

To clarify, the PC is set to awake from fully off using the RTC alarm, not
suspend or...
Forum: General February 1st 11, 10:25 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.repair
Replies: 20
Posted By John Keiser
motherboard pwr_on pins resistance?

The PC is turned off at night, not suspended or hibernated.

I always have current, redundant backups so no problem testing the HD.

No floppy so I'll try disconecting the HD or using a bootable CD...
Forum: General February 1st 11, 04:42 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.repair
Replies: 20
Posted By John Keiser
motherboard pwr_on pins resistance?

Paul,
If I may impose on your knowledge of PSUs, can you help me with an earlier
post?

I have a Acer Verition M460 [AMI BIOS R01-C3] with WindowsXP SP3.
I had the CMOS set to wake and boot every...
Forum: Printers May 25th 09, 05:56 AM Posted to comp.periphs.printers
Replies: 2
Posted By John Keiser
LaserJet 1012 Vertical Fade

Possibly solved but comments still welcomed.
Before following disassembling to check the fuser sensor [which I understand
can accumulate toner and leave about a 1/4 inch wide faded stripe], I...
Forum: Printers May 25th 09, 03:47 AM Posted to comp.periphs.printers
Replies: 2
Posted By John Keiser
LaserJet 1012 Vertical Fade

Printer works well but has a "slight" faded vertical band about 3 inches
from the left margin, about 1/4 inches wide. New cartridge.
Doing a "half self test" I can see slight fadeing on the drum at...
Forum: Printers March 30th 09, 06:50 PM Posted to comp.periphs.printers
Replies: 13
Posted By John Keiser
looking for parts

The topic of repairing gears was discussed just a few weeks ago in
sci.electronics.repair. You might find the hints helpful since you seem up
to the challenge.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.
Forum: Printers October 31st 08, 07:53 PM Posted to comp.periphs.printers

I never use the color inks as I have a Canon iP8500 or photos and I am very
disappointed that I am being nagged to replace the color cartridges.
I don't mind permanently disabling color printing as...
Forum: Printers October 21st 08, 08:44 PM Posted to comp.periphs.printers
Replies: 3
Posted By John Keiser
HP LJ 3030 unable to communicate with hp scanning software

I had a similar warning/issue when I swapped cables on an Epson Fax.
Try a diferent USB cable. In my experience, not all are created equal.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.
Forum: Printers July 13th 08, 01:28 AM Posted to comp.periphs.printers

I'm on Windward Oahu [with no dehumidifier]. :)

Thank you.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.
Forum: Printers July 12th 08, 10:31 PM Posted to comp.periphs.printers
Replies: 3
Posted By John Keiser
Long term storage of Epson R220

I have a R220 that works fine [still has ink in the cartridges] but will be
unused for at least 6 months. What is the "best" way to store this so the
head "might" remain useable?
Thanks.

--...
Forum: Printers July 7th 08, 07:05 PM Posted to comp.periphs.printers
Replies: 3
Posted By John Keiser
Epson CX5800F

This is my first Epson.
The manual tells me nothing about resetting default parameters.
On other Epson models I thought I had read something about pressing several
keys along with the power button...
Forum: Printers July 5th 08, 08:13 PM Posted to comp.periphs.printers
Replies: 3
Posted By John Keiser
Epson CX5800F

The printer initializes very slowly and the scan function seems to hang.
Is there a maintenace mode or reset key combination that might restore this
to factory settings?
Thank you.

--
Remove...
Forum: Acer Computers July 4th 08, 01:57 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer

In case anyone else needs a work around:
The Veriton chassis is designed with vent holes on the side panel to
directly exhaust the CPU fan. Nice. But the vent holes render an extra
chassis fan...
Forum: Acer Computers July 3rd 08, 11:45 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Replies: 1
Posted By John Keiser
Front Panel Veriton M460

I see the 3 clips on the left side but the panel is still anchored. What
else do I need do to remove the panel? [I want to add a fan to cool the
SATA HD.]
Thanks.
--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact...
Forum: Acer Computers June 28th 08, 09:49 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer

Trying to downgrade to Win XP.
Are there separate SATA drivers available for the M460?
I see 2 "format" iso images @ Acer's support site to prepare a bare SATA
drive but I don't see any SATA driver...
Forum: Printers June 15th 08, 07:13 AM Posted to comp.periphs.printers
Replies: 9
Posted By John Keiser
printing passport photos?

IDPhotoStudio by KCSoftwares has no bells and whistles [can't edit or adjust
the photo] but it is free and worth a try.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.
Forum: Compaq Computers March 24th 08, 03:21 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Ah. I was being cautious.
Thank you Ben.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.
Forum: Compaq Computers March 24th 08, 04:55 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

Garcia Mobo [203966-001]
DeskPro Ex power supply died.
Compaq PS 6201-6C3
Compaq replacement is 201828-001
I have several standard ATX replacements that would fit the case but the
wire colors don't...
Forum: Printers January 5th 08, 09:54 PM Posted to comp.periphs.printers
Replies: 19
Posted By John Keiser
Panasonic Dot Matrix Rubber Part

In case anyone looks for the same problem: a piece of vinyl molding trim cut
down to size [3/8 X 15] seems to function perfectly.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.
Forum: Printers January 2nd 08, 10:24 PM Posted to comp.periphs.printers
Replies: 19
Posted By John Keiser
Panasonic Dot Matrix Rubber Part

Printer was made in 1991 and Panasonic no longer supports parts.

Printer otherwise fine and useful for continous paper.

Thanks.

--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.
Showing results 1 to 25 of 31