Showing results 1 to 25 of 500
Search took 2.96 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Arno[_3_]
Forum: Storage (alternative) November 9th 15, 04:44 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 2
Posted By Arno[_3_]
what is the next drive limit

Lynn McGuire wrote:
We have had several drive addressability limits in the last 35 years. The last was at 2 TB ???

So, what is the next drive limit?

Thanks,
Lynn

As even...
Forum: Storage (alternative) August 5th 15, 12:14 PM Posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.generalDDDD,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 2
Posted By Arno[_3_]
brand new drive clicks very lightly

micky wrote:

What does it mean when an almost new HDD clicks very quietly? On
startup a few times, and very rarely when it's not startup, I can hear
it, but...
Forum: Storage (alternative) April 27th 15, 06:54 AM Posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 4
Posted By Arno[_3_]
laptop & cmos battery

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Linea Recta wrote:
Any people here have experience replacing the cmos battery of a laptop
themselves?
I might have to try that...
Forum: Storage (alternative) March 30th 15, 10:18 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 9
Posted By Arno[_3_]
"The SSD Endurance Experiment: They're all dead"

Lynn McGuire wrote:
On 3/14/2015 7:41 AM, Mr. Man-wai Chang wrote:
On 14/3/15 1:31 PM, Yousuf Khan wrote:
It seems that the Intel is the one that's the most conservative...
Forum: Storage (alternative) February 9th 15, 05:43 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.hdd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage
Replies: 28
Posted By Arno[_3_]
Hard disk reliability examined once mo HGST rules, Seagate is alarming

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage cjt wrote:
On 02/03/2015 03:58 AM, Arno wrote:
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage cjt wrote:
On 01/29/2015...
Forum: Storage (alternative) February 9th 15, 03:42 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage
Replies: 9
Posted By Arno[_3_]
Backblaze dumps hard drive data

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Ant wrote:
On 2/5/2015 3:55 PM, (Neill Massello) wrote:
Enjoy.

Forum: Storage (alternative) February 3rd 15, 10:58 AM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.hdd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage

On 01/29/2015 01:20 PM, Arno wrote:
In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage cjt wrote:
On 01/22/2015...
Forum: Storage (alternative) January 29th 15, 08:20 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.hdd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage
Replies: 28
Posted By Arno[_3_]
Hard disk reliability examined once mo HGST rules, Seagate is alarming

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage cjt wrote:
On 01/22/2015 10:14 AM, Ant wrote:
Forum: Storage (alternative) December 25th 14, 02:55 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 5
Posted By Arno[_3_]
Seagate offers low-cost 8TB hard drives

Yousuf Khan wrote:
On 16/12/2014 6:26 PM, Mark F wrote:
The drives as "shingled", so you can't write random blocks without
having to rewrite a bunch of partially...
Forum: Storage (alternative) December 3rd 14, 06:47 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 2
Posted By Arno[_3_]
"Intel and Micron are going to kill the hard disk drive"

Lynn McGuire wrote:
"Intel and Micron are going to kill the hard disk drive"
Forum: Storage (alternative) November 19th 14, 02:01 AM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.hdd,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage
Replies: 3
Posted By Arno[_3_]
Data Center Study Reveals Top 5 SMART Stats That Correlate To Drive Failures

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Yousuf Khan wrote:
On 12/11/2014 7:58 PM, Ant wrote:
Forum: Storage (alternative) October 24th 14, 04:39 PM Posted to comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.periphs.hdd
Replies: 60
Posted By Arno[_3_]
A dying very old HDD confirmed?

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Ant wrote:
On 10/22/2014 3:43 PM PT, Arno typed:
I'm back again. Yesterday, I decided to repartition my HDD to remove
most of its old...
Forum: Storage (alternative) October 22nd 14, 11:43 PM Posted to comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.periphs.hdd
Replies: 60
Posted By Arno[_3_]
A dying very old HDD confirmed?

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Ant wrote:
In alt.comp.periphs.hdd Ant wrote:
There's no "great hole" in my theory, Rod. You were looking at...
Forum: Storage (alternative) October 19th 14, 06:10 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 6
Posted By Arno[_3_]
SSD transfer speed

This is a result from disk-internal fragmentation, and no, there
is nothing reasonable you can do about it. Unless you have an
actual speed-problem, just ignore it.

Arno

Jan Sto??ek...
Forum: Storage (alternative) October 19th 14, 06:06 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 2
Posted By Arno[_3_]
How is the lifetime of SSDs that switch from SLC to MLC affected by the switch

Mark F wrote:
On 10 Oct 2014 15:15:56 GMT, Arno wrote:

Mark F wrote:
There are some SSDs that automatically switch from SLC to...
Forum: Storage (alternative) October 10th 14, 04:15 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 2
Posted By Arno[_3_]
How is the lifetime of SSDs that switch from SLC to MLC affected by the switch

Mark F wrote:
There are some SSDs that automatically switch from SLC to MLC when the
disk gets full.

Originally was found to be an undocumented feature in some drives;
Forum: Storage (alternative) September 8th 14, 09:52 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 5
Posted By Arno[_3_]
"IBM wants to kill the hard drive it invented"

Lynn McGuire wrote:
On 9/5/2014 2:04 PM, VanguardLH wrote:
Lynn McGuire wrote:

"IBM wants to kill the hard drive it invented"
Forum: Storage (alternative) September 5th 14, 12:18 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 10
Posted By Arno[_3_]
Mukii TransImp enclosu HD upside down

wrote:
On Wednesday, September 3, 2014 9:31:38 AM UTC-4, Robert Nichols
wrote:
On 09/02/2014 10:39 PM, andymhancockATgmailDOTcom wrote:
Eery how my basic knowledge...
Forum: Storage (alternative) September 2nd 14, 11:24 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 10
Posted By Arno[_3_]
SMART Reallocated Sector Count 269, Reallocated Event Count 20

wrote:
[...]
Understood that the bad SMART readings may be due to external factors. The thing is, I've already migrated off of it to a 500GB Momentus XT hybrid SSD/spinning...
Forum: Storage (alternative) September 2nd 14, 11:07 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.hdd,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 42
Posted By Arno[_3_]
Is this external Seagate 500 GB HDD dying?

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Darrin Doc O'Leary wrote:
For your reference, records indicate that
Arno wrote:

Hehehehe. Unlike you I...
Forum: Storage (alternative) September 1st 14, 03:50 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 7
Posted By Arno[_3_]
What possible use for an HD with many bad sectors?

wrote:
I recently found that the 2.5" 600MB HD on my laptop had 269
reallocated sectors, which I'm told is obscenely high. So I backed up
to another HD and am now using...
Forum: Storage (alternative) September 1st 14, 03:49 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 10
Posted By Arno[_3_]
SMART Reallocated Sector Count 269, Reallocated Event Count 20

wrote:
I have an approximately 2-year Toshiba MK6476GSXN HD on my laptop (my only
computer). Recently, I plugged in a faulty SD/USB converter, which caused
all sorts of...
Forum: Storage (alternative) September 1st 14, 03:42 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,alt.comp.periphs.hdd
Replies: 42
Posted By Arno[_3_]
Is this external Seagate 500 GB HDD dying?

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Ant wrote:
FYI. I haven't had time to rerun the long tests and try with the
installed free HD Sentinel due to my forced eviction move. I...
Forum: Storage (alternative) September 1st 14, 03:41 AM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.hdd,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 42
Posted By Arno[_3_]
Is this external Seagate 500 GB HDD dying?

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage nospam wrote:
In article , Arno
wrote:

That is not the point. The point is...
Forum: Storage (alternative) September 1st 14, 03:31 AM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.hdd,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 42
Posted By Arno[_3_]
Is this external Seagate 500 GB HDD dying?

In comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage Darrin Doc O'Leary wrote:
For your reference, records indicate that
Arno wrote:

In...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 500