Showing results 1 to 25 of 179
Search took 0.14 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Plato
Forum: General February 15th 08, 10:37 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 11
Posted By Plato
Dead NIC card?

Mike wrote:

I have a wired Belkin NIC card that vanished from Device Manager. I tried to
reinstall in another PCI slot but XP only recognizes it as a "PCI device"
and the drivers won't...
Forum: General February 15th 08, 10:37 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 3
Posted By Plato
2 memory slots, 256MB each slot, but total only 448MB?

David Deley wrote:

My friend's old computer has two memory slots with 256MB memory in each
slot (the maximum allowed). However, the reported memory is only 448MB
instead of 512MB. Why might...
Forum: General February 15th 08, 10:37 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 26
Posted By Plato
DVD dead + questions

James wrote:

So I guess the simplet thing would be to buy a new one ? (not sure if they
are fixable ?)

No.
Forum: General February 15th 08, 10:37 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 6
Posted By Plato
Control PC by remote control / video sending

Jethro wrote:

However, how would I control the PC from the next room. (At present
it's got a wireless k/b and mouse, but I think 4-5m and 2 brick walls
is stretching the...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 31st 08, 10:00 PM Posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 0
Posted By Plato
LCD Monitors- how to choose ?

pg wrote:

LCD is replacing CRT. This happens in my company also.

My company has been buying LCD monitors to replace the CRT monitors,
in stages. When old CRT dies, we replace it with an...
Forum: General January 17th 08, 08:39 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 10
Posted By Plato
Speedstep not active

Daniel wrote:

"Plato" |@|.| wrote in message
Daniel wrote:

I am running Vista Ultimate and have just installed a Pentium D...
Forum: General January 17th 08, 07:24 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 10
Posted By Plato
Speedstep not active

Daniel wrote:

I am running Vista Ultimate and have just installed a Pentium D Extreme
Edition 840 3.2 GHZ CPU onto an Asus P5SD2-X motherboard.

Do NOT run any MS OS until version 2 is out.
Forum: General January 14th 08, 05:07 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 17
Posted By Plato
Grounding

John wrote:

My daughter is about to replace a memory module. (UK based where we have 3
pin grounded wall sockets (mains receptacles))

What is best -

- Leave the PC plugged into the...
Forum: General January 14th 08, 05:07 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 13
Posted By Plato
Can You Use Laptop Memory (DDR) in PCs?

wrote:

If it's a stupid question, I'd appreciate links to sites where the
extent of stupidity will be clear. Thanks.

No. They are different physical sizes.

--...
Forum: General January 7th 08, 10:02 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 5
Posted By Plato
SeaTools | Can't fix bad sectors?

Charles wrote:

I have a Seagate disk that I can't format thoroughly. I went to
Seagate's web site and downloaded their SeaTools software. I did a
long self test on the HDD which detected...
Forum: General January 7th 08, 10:00 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 6
Posted By Plato
problem with battery free mouse

R.P. wrote:

three weeks ago I bought a battery free mouse from A4Tech (www.a4tech.com).
Its name is NB-30D. The mouse was really fun under windows and linux.
But now the mouse cursor does...
Forum: General January 7th 08, 09:59 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 11
Posted By Plato
Power supply Wattage

J wrote:

I'm having a problem with my computer just powering down. I recently
added a 2nd hard drive and I'm wondering if the current power supply
is just overloaded.
The current power...
Forum: General January 7th 08, 09:58 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 18
Posted By Plato
Photo Printers

Erehwon wrote:

Looking for a printer to be used about 75% of the time for photos and the
remainder for office applications and web pages. It seems that the reviews

HP Photosmart C3180

--...
Forum: General January 7th 08, 09:56 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 0
Posted By Plato
New Motherboard Question

Matt wrote:

I'm looking for a motherboard, but I know very little about the

Best not to crosspost so much next time.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/
Forum: General January 7th 08, 09:55 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware

wrote:

This is weird.

Not at all. One can have several mice attached and both will work
perfectly.

I just bought a USB laser mouse.
I plugged it in, and forgot my old...
Forum: General January 7th 08, 09:54 AM Posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 5
Posted By Plato
More on How to monitor resource usage - Help?

gecko wrote:

I am still seeking why my XP SP2 is bogging down.

Hard drive space left?

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/
Forum: General January 7th 08, 09:52 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware

peter wrote:

my lcd al1715 (acer) is bleeding across the screen.
does anyone know how to fix the problem.

Got the proper video drivers installed?

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/
Forum: General January 7th 08, 09:50 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware

Terry wrote:

I have a spare laptop 2.5" h/d with Win XP OS on it and wish to "clean it"
and use it for Desktop/laptop....

Zero fill the drive to bring it to factory fresy specs.

--...
Forum: General January 7th 08, 09:48 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 1
Posted By Plato

george wrote:

Internet free fax service around the world

No such animal.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/
Forum: General January 7th 08, 09:48 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 3
Posted By Plato
Flash Drive Speeds

Grinder wrote:

I see that some flash drives advertise cd-rom like speeds: 200x or 150x,
for example. How do those speed translate to read and write speeds?
Can their ratings be...
Forum: General January 7th 08, 09:47 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 12
Posted By Plato
DVD coating

wrote:

I was just wondering why DVD companies don't put a clear scratch-
resistant coating on the bottom of DVDs. This would help keep the
DVD from getting scratched. It...
Forum: General January 7th 08, 09:46 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 12
Posted By Plato
Dim backlight in XP on Gateway laptop

Calab wrote:

I've got a new Gateway T-6815 laptop. This machine comes from Gateway with
Vista pre-installed. The first thing I want to do is wipe Vista and install
XP Pro SP2.

Laptops are...
Forum: General January 7th 08, 09:45 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 24
Posted By Plato
CRT Monitor Problem

Ollie wrote:

Hello I hope someone can help me I have a problem with a CRT monitor,
19" SyncMaster 957DF. The problem is that over the last couple of
weeks I have noticed the screen is...
Forum: General January 7th 08, 09:43 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 17
Posted By Plato
Cordless Key Board

ram wrote:

I have a Logitech cordless key board and mouse. Key board is not
recognised at boot time and I
cannot go into BIOS or select options when I boot WinXP Pro.

One always needs a...
Forum: General January 7th 08, 09:42 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 21
Posted By Plato
Computer won't start

twomt wrote:

I fear I have a hardware problem somewhere, can someone give me some
hints on how to locate the root cause?

First step is to disconnect everything but cpu fan, ram, video card....
Showing results 1 to 25 of 179