Showing results 1 to 25 of 145
Search took 2.72 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Skeleton Man
Forum: General January 27th 10, 12:55 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 4
Posted By Skeleton Man
Heatsink Pushpins - Where to buy?

I tried that - I found one company in japan that's a possibility. I guess I
have to order the pins and the springs as two parts, and check which size I
need (they have like 4 different...
Forum: General January 26th 10, 04:31 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 4
Posted By Skeleton Man
Heatsink Pushpins - Where to buy?

Hi all,

I'm experimenting with different heatsinks on my nforce 500 northbridge chip
(K9N4 SLI board), and the plastic pushpins have a habit of breaking in the
process of removing them. I was...
Forum: General June 9th 09, 03:45 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 8
Posted By Skeleton Man
Radeon X1600 - needs a new fan

"Joel" wrote in message
"Skeleton Man" wrote:

I don't want to throw away a perfectly good card over...
Forum: General June 8th 09, 09:52 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 8
Posted By Skeleton Man
Radeon X1600 - needs a new fan

It is not good to do this, letting the system run till it
locks up. After the first time the best thing to do is open
the case and check that fans are running, and if they are
not power off...
Forum: General June 8th 09, 03:13 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 8
Posted By Skeleton Man
Radeon X1600 - needs a new fan

Hi all,

I'm trying to find a new fan for my Asus EAX1600PRO (Radeon X1600 Chip) as
it has failed (siezed up, doesn't even turn) and the card now overheats and
kills video within 10 minutes of...
Forum: General May 9th 09, 06:54 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 2
Posted By Skeleton Man
Laptop keyboard - uneven wear

Hi all,

I'm have this HP HDX notebook for about a month, and already the keys are
starting to wear out. The "f" key takes about twice as much pressure as the
rest of the keyboard. I had this same...
Forum: General March 15th 09, 06:21 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 7
Posted By Skeleton Man
APC beeps

So just how *old* are the batteries in that UPS?

Supposedly they were replaced just before it was listed on ebay (part of the
"refurbishment"). I have no way of knowing short of removing them...
Forum: General March 14th 09, 05:24 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 7
Posted By Skeleton Man
APC beeps

Hi all,

I have a smart-ups 1400 and disabled beeps for eveverything (ie. no beeps
when its switches to battery, not even on low battery), but last night it
started beeping out of nowhere.. it was...
Forum: General March 6th 09, 03:36 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 10
Posted By Skeleton Man
Do the stores know something we don't ?

I found one here, listed in Canadian Tire, and it might be the old style.
It is only $399.

I wanted that one, but sold out within like a 200 mile radius and the sale
ends tomorrow!

A comparable...
Forum: General March 6th 09, 12:05 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 10
Posted By Skeleton Man
Do the stores know something we don't ?

Hi all,

For about the last 3 weeks I've seen generators and such on sale at canadian
tire, and UPS on sale at CT and staples, etc.. - it's making me wonder if
they know something we don't.
I might...
Forum: General March 5th 09, 12:14 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 14
Posted By Skeleton Man
Largest UPS on a 15A circuit?

I have to wonder why you are aiming for what seems an
arbitrary amount of runtime. If the power is out for longer
than 45 minutes, what are the odds it won't be out for more
than your target of...
Forum: General March 3rd 09, 08:29 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 14
Posted By Skeleton Man
Largest UPS on a 15A circuit?

Hi all,

I just bought a Smart UPS 1400VA but it doesn't give quite enough runtime..
I was looking at 2000VA+ but they all have 20Amp plugs and I have no 20A
circuit to attach an outlet to. How big...
Forum: General March 3rd 09, 07:12 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 26
Posted By Skeleton Man
Grounding an ungrounded outlet

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knob_and_tube_wiring

My attic looks exactly like that! Some parts of the basement too!

Chris
Forum: General February 26th 09, 05:20 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 26
Posted By Skeleton Man
Grounding an ungrounded outlet

If your house is 100 years old (or even if wiring is 50 years old
although you don't explain the age difference)

I'm guessing at the wiring age because the house was built before
electricity was...
Forum: General February 26th 09, 12:21 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 26
Posted By Skeleton Man
Grounding an ungrounded outlet

Hi all,

I just discovered today that none of the outlets in my house are grounded.
The house is literally 100 years old, and the wiring probably 50 years. At
first I thought one outlet was screwy,...
Forum: General February 25th 09, 01:08 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 2
Posted By Skeleton Man
What is a PEROM ?

I saw these mentioned online somewhere and wondered what this kinda chip is
? Is it in the same family as EPROM EEPROM, etc ?

Chris
Forum: General February 6th 09, 04:32 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 0
Posted By Skeleton Man
High end toolkit

Hi all,

Can anyone reccomend a nice computer toolkit, preferably with a real leather
case or even a breifcase? I have a nice enough $60 kit from a few years
back, with pliers, cutters, strippers,...
Forum: General February 1st 09, 03:42 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 2
Posted By Skeleton Man
Hidden buttons on inspiron notebook

Hi all,

I remove the bezel from my dell inspiron 1720 to replace the keyboard, and I
found 2 hidden buttons. The bezel has a home key and a power button, but
there are two other buttons on the...
Forum: General January 12th 09, 06:54 AM Posted to alt.computer,alt.comp.hardware,alt.computers,alt.computer.security
Replies: 11
Posted By Skeleton Man
Where can I find my wanted laptop?

I would like a laptop that is NVRAM-free, cache-free, and with all OS-
partitions being in the form of mask-programmed ROM. I also need for
the MAC address, IP address, and any other unique IDs of...
Forum: General January 8th 09, 12:26 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 0
Posted By Skeleton Man
Hardware KVM, software client

Hi all,

Is there such a thing as a hardware KVM that physically connects to
keyboard, video, mouse, but the client portion is software controlled ?

VNC is great for within windows - but what...
Forum: General December 28th 08, 07:40 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 4
Posted By Skeleton Man
wanted used computers/ scrap

we are ready to buy any number of used computers/scrap any
condition

I have a couple of 386's in peiced in my basement, if you don't mind the
cobwebs they're yours for $500 each (these are antique...
Forum: General December 28th 08, 06:33 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 2
Posted By Skeleton Man
USB reciever to PS2

Hi,

I recently replaced my old MS wireless desktop with a new logitech set and
it works great. There's one thing missing though: the old receiver was abut
the size of and shape of a mouse, and had...
Forum: General September 15th 08, 10:24 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 15
Posted By Skeleton Man
clamp on multimeter

Hi guys,

I'm looking for a good clamp on multimeter than does AC and DC, current and
voltages, and most importantly I want to do ALL using the clamp.

A lot of clamp meters I see will only do amps...
Forum: General September 7th 08, 07:19 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 10
Posted By Skeleton Man
Dead PCMCIA controller ?

I suspect that the impact has caused a crack in the circuit
board breaking a trace, or some surface mount component's
solder joint has broken. You could disassemble and examine
it, though doing...
Forum: General September 7th 08, 07:16 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 10
Posted By Skeleton Man
Dead PCMCIA controller ?

Hi all,

I've been fighting with a compaq armada e500 notebook, trying to get it to
recognise PCMCIA cards. Long story short, everything was working, someone
dropped the laptop and screwed the hard...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 145