Showing results 1 to 25 of 141
Search took 0.15 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: nobody >[_2_]
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 7th 10, 10:21 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By nobody >[_2_]
OT-DVD Playing software update

On 7/6/2010 4:46 AM, pheasant16 wrote:
CrackerJack wrote:
snip
Netbook has Windows 7 Starter. Got VLC Media Player last month from
someone here. Worked great, but have to load each...
Forum: Asus Motherboards June 28th 10, 03:05 AM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Replies: 7
Posted By nobody >[_2_]
I give up on RAID

On 6/27/2010 6:45 PM, Bill Anderson wrote:

Your wife's company has a liberal policy compared to mine. But this is
my personal home computer and playing with it is a great source of
Forum: AMD x86-64 Processors June 9th 10, 04:12 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.mainboards.asus,alt.comp.hardware.amd.x86-64,alt.comp.hardware.homebuild
Replies: 2
Posted By nobody >[_2_]
What's the best PSU to get for my old ASUS K8V SE Deluxe officePC?

On 6/7/2010 1:10 PM, Ant wrote:
Hello.

The PC has a SATA HDD, 512 MB of RAM, DVD-ROM drive, and an ATI Radeon
9600 AIW video card. Nothing fancy. ;)

And yes, it has to be from...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 3rd 10, 05:46 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 68
Posted By nobody >[_2_]
Anybody use Linux? For old hardware, which distro?

On 6/2/2010 3:15 PM, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
RayLopez99 wrote:

On Jun 2, 4:32 pm, David
wrote:
On 02/06/2010 14:36, RayLopez99...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's May 29th 10, 09:11 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 5
Posted By nobody >[_2_]
Are there any sites that assist in choosing a motherboard?

On 5/29/2010 10:41 AM, John wrote:
It's been a number of years since I built my pc and want to find out if
there's a site(s) that is designed to provide a list of mobos fitting a
set of specs...
Forum: Asus Motherboards May 25th 10, 07:46 AM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Replies: 16
Posted By nobody >[_2_]
(Asus) Realtec HD Audio Mngr.

On 5/24/2010 9:14 PM, Paul wrote:

It is not clear to me, how the BIOS setting, relates to a feature
like that. Whether the RealTek control panel overrides the BIOS choice,
or the BIOS choice...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's May 3rd 10, 07:21 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 19
Posted By nobody >[_2_]
Economy build for home use.

Paul wrote:

Motherboard for $100. Details in a moment.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138146

That one is "buzz word" compliant. It is a full sized...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 26th 10, 12:32 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 20
Posted By nobody >[_2_]
AMD versus Intel ( heat and AMD now? not...)

Tim Mastrogiacomo wrote:
On Mar 29, 10:06 am, Rick wrote:
Daniel Prince wrote:

I believe that AMD is still having problems with heat so Intel would
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 22nd 10, 08:27 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 3
Posted By nobody >[_2_]
Phenom II X3 versus Athlon II X3

Daniel Prince wrote:
It looks to me as if the only difference between the Phenom II X3
and the Athlon II X3 is that the Phenom II X3 has an L3 Cache of
6MB. How much difference does an L3...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 11th 10, 03:51 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 17
Posted By nobody >[_2_]
fact or fiction

jinxy wrote:

For whatever it is worth, I have had some success with the opposite
treatment, heating the drive in an oven to approx 120-140 degrees F.
The theory is that the failing...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 27th 10, 07:29 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 20
Posted By nobody >[_2_]
AMD versus Intel

Daniel Prince wrote:
Which would give the most performance per dollar, an AMD CPU and
motherboard or an Intel CPU and motherboard? Which would be the
most reliable and last the longest? Which...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 26th 10, 04:06 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 8
Posted By nobody >[_2_]
Proposed new build

Steve wrote:
In article ,
says...
I'm scoping a cheap system to replace the one I assembled four years ago,
which chokes...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 21st 10, 02:59 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 15
Posted By nobody >[_2_]
WD hard drives

Metspitzer wrote:
I seem to be having a large amount of WD drives failing.

What is your drive brand name of choice?

Failing HOW?

I haven't had a WD die on me in over 10 years.

Poor cooling?...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 4th 10, 08:57 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 33
Posted By nobody >[_2_]
Are PCs having TOO MUCH computing power?

VanguardLH wrote:
You think you need that 3GHz dual- or
quad-core processor with 4GB, or more, of system memory to run a word
processor (when then used to run back in DOS in under 640K on old...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 4th 10, 08:05 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 10
Posted By nobody >[_2_]
Strangeness.. ASUS M4A78T-E "unlocks" AMD Phenom II X2 to X4 ??

New build, and some general "funkyness" happening.

I bought the ASUS mobo (M4A78T-E) and the CPU (AMD Phenom II X2 545)
from a reputable local dealer.

The Phenom Phenom II X2 545 is "retail...
Forum: Storage (alternative) March 2nd 10, 04:45 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,24hoursupport.helpdesk
Replies: 47
Posted By nobody >[_2_]
Problem 80 wire cable for hard disk

richard wrote:

I'm amazed that you could even get the 40 wire cable to connect to the same
connector as the 80 wire. They're generally designed so that you CAN'T do
that.

Huh? Same 40-pin...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 21st 10, 12:21 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 14
Posted By nobody >[_2_]
terrible CPU or CPU fan noise on some startups - BIOS alteration?

poachedeggs wrote:

Could this be simply because my home is unheated? February in England
and no central heating, which I can't rectify without trebling my
electricity bill. My laptop and...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 19th 10, 01:01 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 13
Posted By nobody >[_2_]
Favorite motherboard brand and why?

shegeek72 wrote:
On Feb 16, 9:25 pm, John Doe wrote:
Please tell me what your favorite motherboard brand is and why you
like them. What are they best for?
Gigabyte...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 15th 10, 09:04 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 29
Posted By nobody >[_2_]
Formatting a hard disk and handling of suspicious bad sectors

Man-wai Chang to The Door (24000bps) wrote:
And elsewhere, and more commonly, it's called a "high-level format", as
opposed to a "low-level format". Were M. Toylet to put that phrase into
Forum: Storage (alternative) February 15th 10, 09:04 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 39
Posted By nobody >[_2_]
Formatting a hard disk and handling of suspicious bad sectors

Man-wai Chang to The Door (24000bps) wrote:
And elsewhere, and more commonly, it's called a "high-level format", as
opposed to a "low-level format". Were M. Toylet to put that phrase into
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 8th 10, 07:57 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 3
Posted By nobody >[_2_]
(Probably a rehash of the same old story...) Power slurpee size?

(top-posting intentionally)

Thanks Paul! I was fairly certain that this would fly.

I'm probably still going to use the 20 24 pin adapter, just so that I
will remember this issue if I ever do...
Forum: General February 8th 10, 07:29 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 16
Posted By nobody >[_2_]
How move XP Pro hard drive to new PC

Flasherly wrote:
On Feb 6, 5:27 am, Vinni wrote:
I want to upgrade to a new PC and put my old XP in the new machine. (Later
I'll install Win 7.)

This is what I...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 8th 10, 07:29 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware

Flasherly wrote:
On Feb 6, 5:27 am, Vinni wrote:
I want to upgrade to a new PC and put my old XP in the new machine. (Later
I'll install Win 7.)

This is what I...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 8th 10, 04:44 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 3
Posted By nobody >[_2_]
(Probably a rehash of the same old story...) Power slurpee size?

I'm doing a new build 'pooter with some new stuff and some stuff that's
been kicking around.

The intent is decent performance but *quiet*, cool, and reasonably cheap.

Most of my use will be "light...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 6th 10, 02:57 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 11
Posted By nobody >[_2_]
when you first got broadband how fast was it and how much didyou pay?

Trevor Smithson wrote:
Realized it's been just about ten years since I first got broadband
service. Back then I paid paid $55 a month for 128kb/s up, 512kb/s
down.

These days I pay $35...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 141