Showing results 1 to 25 of 39
Search took 0.87 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: William Sommerwerck
Forum: Homebuilt PC's May 1st 11, 03:01 PM Posted to sci.electronics.basics,sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.home.repair
Replies: 121
Name of plug in US

"Klay_Anderson" wrote in message

The connectors in the photo are "press-on F" connectors.
Cheap to make,...
Forum: General February 3rd 11, 03:36 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.repair
Replies: 20
motherboard pwr_on pins resistance?

On closer inspection, I do see a bulging cap near the
CMOS. Runs very hot to the touch, so highly suspect.
Not sure if I can replace.

Surround the area with absorbent material, then crush the...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 21st 09, 12:28 PM Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 38
Power supplies with solid polymer caps

I just remembered another "failure"...

Several years ago I bought a KLH Audio (sadly, now out of business) powered
woofer, which I tossed in the garage. A week ago I finally got around to
pulling it...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 21st 09, 12:22 PM Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 38
Power supplies with solid polymer caps

I also suspect that the eco-fanaticism that has given us lead-free
solder doesn't help either, as the elevated process temperatures
required to get this hateful stuff to stick to anything other...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 21st 09, 03:14 AM Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 38
Power supplies with solid polymer caps

Depending on how stressful the position that they are used in - and many
such positions these days *are* - I would have to beg to differ. They
really
are /that/ unreliable ...

If that's the...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 21st 09, 03:13 AM Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 38
Power supplies with solid polymer caps

It's true that electrolytics are among the least reliable of
components --
but they're not /that/ unreliable.

Yeah, they are. I've personally changed a couple thousand - 10x more
than all...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 20th 09, 02:38 PM Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 38
Power supplies with solid polymer caps

If I interpret your question correctly, it's meaningless.

Polymer capacitors (ie, plastic-dielectric caps, such as polystryrene,
Mylar, and Teflon) simply cannot produce the huge...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 20th 09, 01:42 PM Posted to sci.electronics.repair,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 38
Power supplies with solid polymer caps

If I interpret your question correctly, it's meaningless.

Polymer capacitors (ie, plastic-dielectric caps, such as polystryrene,
Mylar, and Teflon) simply cannot produce the huge capacitances in...
Forum: General November 25th 08, 03:27 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware,sci.electronics.components,sci.electronics.repair
Replies: 9
Soldering onto ribbon connector

"kony" wrote in message
On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 23:46:50 GMT, Don
wrote:

I have a ribbon cable and want...
Forum: Gateway Computers March 29th 08, 12:53 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000,sci.electronics.repair
Replies: 42
polarity of power cord - gateway fpd1520

On the monitor it should be marked or say something
in the manual.

"The Lady from Philadelphia" forgot the obvious. Power sockets almost always
have their polarity marked.
Forum: Gateway Computers March 28th 08, 11:43 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000,sci.electronics.repair
Replies: 42
polarity of power cord - gateway fpd1520

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

If it has got any external metal parts such as RCA (phono) connector
outers, BNC...
Forum: Compaq Computers January 22nd 08, 12:11 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.misc,sci.electronics.repair
Replies: 20
power on password is on

"kony" wrote in message
On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 11:34:04 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"

It might be a bit hard to make that list if...
Forum: General January 22nd 08, 12:11 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.misc,sci.electronics.repair
Replies: 13
power on password is on

"kony" wrote in message
On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 11:34:04 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"

It might be a bit hard to make that list if...
Forum: General January 21st 08, 07:34 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.misc,sci.electronics.repair
Replies: 13
power on password is on

"HH" wrote in message

Have you tried using the motherboard jumper to clear CMOS? I'd
try that first....
Forum: Compaq Computers January 21st 08, 07:34 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.misc,sci.electronics.repair
Replies: 20
power on password is on

"HH" wrote in message

Have you tried using the motherboard jumper to clear CMOS? I'd
try that first....
Forum: General September 2nd 07, 09:21 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,alt.comp.hardware,rec.audio.pro,rec.video.desktop,sci.electronics.repair
Replies: 148
Observations on a UPS - follow up to a previous post

But these days, by the time six years is up, folks are buying
a new display anyway...

This ViewSonic is the best I've ever owned, beating even the Sonys. I don't
have the money for a new monitor...
Forum: General September 1st 07, 08:13 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,alt.comp.hardware,rec.audio.pro,rec.video.desktop,sci.electronics.repair
Replies: 148
Observations on a UPS - follow up to a previous post

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
William Sommerwerck wrote:

I'm typing this missive at ViewSonic PerfectFlat...
Forum: General September 1st 07, 06:09 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,alt.comp.hardware,rec.audio.pro,rec.video.desktop,sci.electronics.repair
Replies: 148
Observations on a UPS - follow up to a previous post

I don't really think that convergence has been much of an
issue since slotmasks became the norm many years ago,
as these are inherently self converging.

LOL! I am holding a service...
Forum: General August 17th 07, 06:05 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,alt.comp.hardware,rec.audio.pro,rec.video.desktop,sci.electronics.repair
Replies: 148
Observations on a UPS - follow up to a previous post

My first CFLs were Philips, and they took "forever" to come
to a reasonable brightness, let alone full. But the Home Despot
cheapies are quite bright from the moment they're enerigized,
Forum: General August 16th 07, 02:27 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,alt.comp.hardware,rec.audio.pro,rec.video.desktop,sci.electronics.repair
Replies: 148
Observations on a UPS - follow up to a previous post

While they start pretty much on the dime, they do get about
50% brighter the first minute or two of operation.

That's what I noted with the Home Despot lamps.

The extended warm-up can...
Forum: General August 15th 07, 10:20 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,alt.comp.hardware,rec.audio.pro,rec.video.desktop,sci.electronics.repair
Replies: 148
Observations on a UPS - follow up to a previous post

I use a few of them around the house, driven by standard
wall-plate residential dimmers.

Rheostats? Triacs? I'm not familiar with the current technology. (X-10 is
triac-controlled, I...
Forum: General August 15th 07, 07:20 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,alt.comp.hardware,rec.audio.pro,rec.video.desktop,sci.electronics.repair
Replies: 148
Observations on a UPS - follow up to a previous post

The dimmable CFLs I get from eBay (love those California lawmakers!)
have PF speced 0.90. I haven't got around to testing one, though.

What brand?

I bought a dimmable GE two years ago, and it...
Forum: General August 15th 07, 04:48 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,alt.comp.hardware,rec.audio.pro,rec.video.desktop,sci.electronics.repair
Replies: 148
Observations on a UPS - follow up to a previous post

Agreed. However there is a newer kid on the block, and that's the power
factor corrected SMPS. This technology has been reduced to an IC, and it
shows up in items as humble as compact...
Forum: General August 15th 07, 04:45 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,alt.comp.hardware,rec.audio.pro,rec.video.desktop,sci.electronics.repair
Replies: 148
Observations on a UPS - follow up to a previous post

Power, and therefore power consumption
(watts=power/second)...

Power is energy/second. Power is not consumed, energy is consumed.
Forum: General August 14th 07, 01:46 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,alt.comp.hardware,rec.audio.pro,rec.video.desktop,sci.electronics.repair
Replies: 148
Observations on a UPS - follow up to a previous post

So are you saying that a meter that measures *true* RMS
anything -- power, current, volts -- will do so correctly even
if the waveform is asymmetric about the zero point? I always
believed...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 39