Showing results 1 to 25 of 500
Search took 0.66 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: w_tom
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 30th 08, 01:13 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 14
Posted By w_tom
PSU Replacement Problem

On Oct 29, 2:55 pm, Paul wrote:
Some problems can only be properly diagnosed in lab conditions,
with a bit more equipment than most hobbyists will have at their
disposal. A...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 29th 08, 06:14 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 14
Posted By w_tom
PSU Replacement Problem

On Oct 28, 9:51 am, "John Leddy" wrote:
Maybe finding apower supplywith ONLY a 20 pin motherboard connector would
do the trick..........they're probably not around any...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 24th 08, 05:57 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 6
Posted By w_tom
System won't power up...

On Oct 24, 8:32 am, spiderman wrote:
diagnostic lights stay off at start up,i have tested the power supply
and i'm sure it's good!

Power supply was tested ......
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 23rd 08, 08:07 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 6
Posted By w_tom
System won't power up...

On Oct 21, 8:52 pm, spiderman wrote:
Dell Dimension E310, when i press the power button system just won't
power up,the motherboard is getting power ,power supply,CPU...
Forum: Dell Computers October 15th 08, 11:01 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 15
Posted By w_tom
fixing power supply problems in dell Inspiron 1100

On Oct 15, 11:40 am, s wrote:
I don't have such gadgets(multimeter, voltmeter) handy. The nearest
electronic shop was asking some 1000rs(22$) for each of those. While
22$...
Forum: General October 15th 08, 05:13 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 12
Posted By w_tom
fixing power supply problems in dell Inspiron 1100

On Oct 15, 11:32*am, s wrote:
So, my mistake was gross negligence in plugging my adapter into the
wall outlet instead of using asurgeprotector?

If a destructive surge...
Forum: Dell Computers October 14th 08, 06:07 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 15
Posted By w_tom
fixing power supply problems in dell Inspiron 1100

On Oct 14, 9:01*am, s wrote:
Could that jack have been damaged due to the power spike I faced? *how
can I explain that during the
power outage(and when power was restored)...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 9th 08, 04:32 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 0
Posted By w_tom
What's your best guess?

On Oct 8, 3:14*pm, jetpac wrote:
Maybe a fried motherboard or faulty PSU.
Get them both checked out.

Did you read what was posted? Assuming a power supply contains
essential...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 8th 08, 03:54 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 62
Posted By w_tom
What's your best guess?

On Oct 7, 11:20 pm, Larc wrote:
Wire-------------Power on, but PC not-----------------PC turned on
Orange (+3.3V)-----------0V--------------------------3.356V Steady
Red...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 7th 08, 04:37 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 62
Posted By w_tom
What's your best guess?

On Oct 7, 1:31 am, Larc wrote:
I thought I was clear about that. These numbers were taken with the PSU in my
problem computer that WILL NOT BOOT. It has not booted even...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 7th 08, 05:05 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 62
Posted By w_tom
What's your best guess?

On Oct 6, 8:22*pm, Larc wrote:
OK, here are the initial test results on the old PSU taken as I tried to start
the problem computer:

3.3V (orange) - 3.356V steady
5V...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 6th 08, 09:21 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 62
Posted By w_tom
What's your best guess?

On Oct 6, 10:37*am, Larc wrote:
If I make sure there's at least one wire between the ground and the wire I'm
testing, I should be OK.

What is dangerous when measuring...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 5th 08, 11:01 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 62
Posted By w_tom
What's your best guess?

On Oct 5, 5:12*pm, Larc wrote:
Think these leads should work OK?

Leads on any meter sold in K-mart, Wal-Mart, Sears, Lowes, Tru-Value
Hardware, Radio Shack, Home Depot,...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 3rd 08, 05:40 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 62
Posted By w_tom
What's your best guess?

On Oct 2, 7:58 pm, Larc wrote:
So connect the suspect PSU to my second computer and start it doing exactly what
the main computer was doing when the failure occurred? ...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 2nd 08, 04:25 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 62
Posted By w_tom
What's your best guess?

On Oct 1, 10:36 pm, Larc wrote:
There's something I'm missing here. If everything is connected and drawing
power, how can I access a connector to test it? ...
Are...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 1st 08, 11:13 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 62
Posted By w_tom
What's your best guess?

On Oct 1, 3:39 pm, Larc wrote:
I believe the PSU is becoming less likely to be the culprit here.
After I disconnected all the drives except the boot HDD, the PC still
Forum: Asus Motherboards September 29th 08, 03:57 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Replies: 7
Posted By w_tom
Is it the motherboard or Power supply??

On Sep 27, 2:35*am, "Zoot" wrote:
Idealism meets the real world. The real world wins. It is experience that
leads some to say "replace both".

Normal is for a completely good...
Forum: Asus Motherboards September 27th 08, 05:19 AM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Replies: 7
Posted By w_tom
Is it the motherboard or Power supply??

On Sep 26, 7:10*pm, "Zoot" wrote:
If you have the time and know-how (most people don't), then your approach is
probably a good one. But there are a lot of people that fix...
Forum: Asus Motherboards September 26th 08, 02:42 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus
Replies: 7
Posted By w_tom
Is it the motherboard or Power supply??

On Sep 24, 5:10*pm, cyranodesade wrote:
About 6 mth. ago the computer started to crash and I would get on over
clocking error when I rebooted. I assumed that it was the...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 8th 08, 02:03 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 8
Posted By w_tom
Computer won't power up

On Sep 7, 2:19*pm, John Doe wrote:
If you are using a modern mainboard, you might actually get better
readings from the BIOS or from within Windows with a utility....
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 7th 08, 03:33 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 8
Posted By w_tom
Computer won't power up

On Sep 6, 8:36 pm, "CLC" wrote:
My wife's computer stopped working the other day. She would push the power
button and nothing would happen. I guessed ot was either the...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 20th 08, 06:29 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 81
Posted By w_tom
Lightning Strike and surge

On Aug 19, 10:19 am, "Ed Medlin" ed@ edmedlin.com wrote:
I believe you...........I just like to overlap my protection just because of
where I live. w__ said something about only a few times in...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 18th 08, 04:19 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 81
Posted By w_tom
Lightning Strike and surge

On Aug 17, 1:20 pm, "Ed Medlin" ed@ edmedlin.com wrote:
My neighbor, about 100yds away, had a direct strike that completely
uprooted a mature 100' oak, lost virtually every electrical component...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 16th 08, 01:06 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 81
Posted By w_tom
Lightning Strike and surge

On Aug 15, 10:34 am, bud-- wrote:
The Emerald Book recognizes plug-in suppressors as an effective
protection device.

So says Bud - and nobody else. As usual, Bud does...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 15th 08, 04:52 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 81
Posted By w_tom
Lightning Strike and surge

On Aug 14, 6:31*pm, bud-- wrote:
Facts:
- The only 2 examples of protection in the IEEE guide use plug-in
suppressors.

Fact: IEEE makes recommendations in Standards....
Showing results 1 to 25 of 500