Showing results 1 to 25 of 102
Search took 0.35 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: OhioGuy
Forum: Storage (alternative) January 27th 09, 11:40 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 3
Posted By OhioGuy
OS on a USB flash drive, or SDHC card?

With the rapidly decreasing price of SDHC cards and USB Flash drives,
I have become interested in trying to set up a PC that boots only from
one of these drives, just to experiment with.

I...
Forum: General December 3rd 08, 06:27 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Replies: 4
Posted By OhioGuy
any way around 512 MB limit on newer pc?

About a year ago, my sister bought a new computer from Dell. It has
a Pentium 4 processor running at about 3 GHz, but I noticed that the
hard drive is churning a lot whenever any program is...
Forum: General November 14th 08, 12:38 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Replies: 0
Posted By OhioGuy
Please help me double check this NVDVD player software!

Probably 7 years ago, I bought an Nvidia TNT2 video card. It came
with a free DVD player software application that I loved, and continued
to use until very recently. I really loved how it had an...
Forum: General October 28th 08, 05:19 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Replies: 0
Posted By OhioGuy
Athlon LE-1640 upgrade question

I decided to do a test this evening. Upstairs I have a Sempron 3000+
based system (~ 2 GHz) that is about 2 years old. Downstairs I have an
Athlon LE-1640 (~ 2.6 GHz) based system that is less...
Forum: General October 25th 08, 04:25 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Replies: 6
Posted By OhioGuy
question about multi core processors

I'm thinking of doing a processor upgrade in the next couple of
months. Currently I have a single core Athlon BE running at about 2.6
GHz. I've got a fairly new (~ 5 months old) motherboard that...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 11th 08, 07:32 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 1
Posted By OhioGuy
Nice CPU benchmark website

Just thought I would share. I've been looking for a place that had good
comparison benchmarks posted. I eventually found...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 8th 08, 04:52 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By OhioGuy
Asus website

Has Asus gone bankrupt or something? I've tried to get to the Asus USA
website several times today, to see when one of their new motherboards is
scheduled for release here. I simply can't get...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 5th 08, 04:40 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 1
Posted By OhioGuy
When's the Asus M3A-H HDMI mboard coming out?

This thing was supposed to be released by now in the USA - anyone know
where it is? I've seen it for sale in the UK for a month now online, and it
was supposed to become available around the 2nd...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 24th 08, 04:11 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 0
Posted By OhioGuy
Nero Digital or ripped DVD's to Realvideo

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to convert Nero Digital AVC over to
Realvideo format?

I have Nero Recode and also the RealVideo software that can encode avi
files over to realvideo. ...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 14th 08, 03:37 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 0
Posted By OhioGuy
Asus M3A-H/HDMI Motherboard - ETA 20 days!

I've finally found the motherboard I want: the Asus...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 14th 08, 03:20 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 6
Posted By OhioGuy
Radial Electrolytic vs SPA capacitors

Electrolytics cannot take much heat ... even the best of them.

Considering that there are a lot of overclockers out there, and
overclocking generates serious amounts of heat (& some of the...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 13th 08, 06:00 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 6
Posted By OhioGuy
Radial Electrolytic vs SPA capacitors

Here's what a pair of the cheap ones look like: (one on left is blown)
These are radial electrolytic capacitors

http://www.dwarfsoft.com/GameDev/blowncap.jpg

And here's some Solid Polymer...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 12th 08, 08:49 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 1
Posted By OhioGuy
Is this the best motherboard I can find?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128081

I've been thinking about upgrading my system for some time now. Things I
am really looking for in a new motherboard:

1) solid...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 4th 08, 05:02 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 10
Posted By OhioGuy
Upgrading laptop hard drive

I've got a ~ 16 month old Dell Inspiron 1300 Laptop that has a 60 GB hard
drive. (actually gives me about 50 GB of true space) Lately, this small
size has been getting in the way, so I've been...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 29th 08, 02:51 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 37
Posted By OhioGuy
why only 1 IDE on new motherboards?

why in the world would any knowledgeable upgrader want to stick with PATA
drives?.

Hmm, let's see:

1) because we have loads of IDE cables laying around

2) because you can hook 2 drives up to...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 29th 08, 02:39 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 37
Posted By OhioGuy
why only 1 IDE on new motherboards?

You can still buy boards that will support 4 PATA devices -- as I did.

Please show me an AM2+ motherboard that supports 4 IDE devices, and has at
least 3 PCI slots. I'm guessing if it even...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 29th 08, 02:31 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 37
Posted By OhioGuy
why only 1 IDE on new motherboards?

Can't you install an ide contoller card, like in a pci slot, and use
more ide-hardware? Seems it would be lots cheaper than buying new, sata
drives

I suppose, but there are a few...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 27th 08, 06:14 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 37
Posted By OhioGuy
why only 1 IDE on new motherboards?

I haven't had a floppy drive on any of my systems for 3 years now, and I'm
wondering why in the world motherboard manufacturers are leaving the floppy
drive interface on the boards, but taking off...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 26th 08, 04:03 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 1
Posted By OhioGuy
anyone know when AM2+ CPU's come out?

I was wondering when the AM2+ processors are supposed to come out. I
don't see any for sale yet, and was wanting to know. Thanks!
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 23rd 08, 06:48 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 0
Posted By OhioGuy
When are new Asus motherboards to be released?

I've got all the components for my new system except for the motherboard.

I've decided to get a new Asus board, either the:

M3A78 or M3N78. Last I heard, these were supposed to be available...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 16th 08, 01:05 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By OhioGuy
Asus - only a 1 year warranty now?

I was on the Newegg website this morning, evaluating several AM2
motherboards for purchase. I thought I remembered that Asus had a 3 year
warranty on all motherboards, but started getting annoyed...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's February 10th 08, 08:19 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By OhioGuy
hard drives & prices

I've decided that I want to get a new hard drive for my PC in the next
month or two. I'm going to go SATA. I've been watching prices, and it
looks like 750 GB drives are about $160 right now. ...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 5th 08, 10:08 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By OhioGuy
how to watch TV shows on PC in noisy environment?

My wife and I started exercising 3X a week in a room down in the basement.
I usually lift weights, and she rides the bicycle. The bike is a Schwinn
Airdyne, which uses air resistance. The problem...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 5th 08, 10:08 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 9
Posted By OhioGuy
how to watch TV shows on PC in noisy environment?

My wife and I started exercising 3X a week in a room down in the basement.
I usually lift weights, and she rides the bicycle. The bike is a Schwinn
Airdyne, which uses air resistance. The problem...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 2nd 08, 06:59 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 2
Posted By OhioGuy
Who offers best motherboard warranty?q

What company currently offers the best warranty on their motherboards,
with minimum hassle to get a replacement?

Also, who supports their boards the longest with BIOS updates?

Showing results 1 to 25 of 102