Showing results 1 to 22 of 22
Search took 0.02 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: David Arnstein
Forum: Storage (alternative) June 16th 11, 11:15 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 4
Posted By David Arnstein
USB Portable 3.0/2.0 reliability

In article ,
Lasse Kliemann wrote:
Good experiences here with Western Digital HP SimpleSave 1TB
2.5" USB 3.0. Cables sit...
Forum: Storage (alternative) May 27th 11, 12:09 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 4
Posted By David Arnstein
USB Portable 3.0/2.0 reliability

In article ,
Anonymous wrote:
I need a 1TB or larger portable hard drive for use in 3 world foreign
net...
Forum: Storage (alternative) May 26th 11, 11:58 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 24
Posted By David Arnstein
Using a hard disk drive as an archival media

I would argue against the very idea of archiving. Commodity PC hardware
is very cheap, and can be forced into serving as a reliable backup
system. But it cannot be forced into serving as a reliable...
Forum: Dell Computers November 18th 10, 09:07 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 10
Posted By David Arnstein
Done with Dell

I have been buying computers from Dell for about 10 years. It ends today.

I ordered a Studio XPS 8100 last week. A Dell rep. told me that the only
way to mount extra disk drives in the machine is to...
Forum: Dell Computers July 2nd 10, 11:28 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 20
Posted By David Arnstein
What Model Dell Have You Installed Windows 7 On?

In article ,
Christopher Muto wrote:
what others can we add to the list along with specific problems
encountered and...
Forum: Dell Computers May 10th 10, 09:19 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 9
Posted By David Arnstein
Graphics Card Fan Noise

I searched for silent video cards at...
Forum: Dell Computers April 27th 10, 06:01 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 3
Posted By David Arnstein
XPS 710 upgraded to Windows 7

In article ,
Or you could use whatever facilities the operating system provides...medium
to high end versions of Windows have had software RAID support...
Forum: Dell Computers April 27th 10, 01:20 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 3
Posted By David Arnstein
XPS 710 upgraded to Windows 7

I have a Dell XPS 710 tower that I purchased in early 2007. Dell's
support web pile informs me that it is not possible to upgrade this
monster to Windows 7. Microsoft's "Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor"...
Forum: Dell Computers April 3rd 09, 09:55 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 15
Posted By David Arnstein
Install and boot Windows XP on a thumb drive?

In article , BillW50 wrote:
And say you fixed it and got it working. What are you going to do with
it? As Windows will only run on the machine...
Forum: Dell Computers April 2nd 09, 05:43 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 15
Posted By David Arnstein
Install and boot Windows XP on a thumb drive?

One of the reasons that I keep buying Dells is that I like the Windows
re-install CD-ROM that Dell sends with the computer. Using it, I can
re-install Windows without going through product...
Forum: Dell Computers January 5th 08, 03:58 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 7
Posted By David Arnstein
Windows XP standby on XPS710 = loud fan on graphics card

I like to use the "standby" power saving feature of Microsoft Windows
XP. This is also called "sleep." But when my PC goes into this mode,
the cooling fan on my Nvidia graphics card spins up to its...
Forum: Dell Computers May 8th 07, 10:27 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 4
Posted By David Arnstein
Still no free Vista upgrade

In case anyone cares, Dell did deliver after all. The upgrade disk
arrived today. I am pleased that I did NOT perform the yelling and
screaming act.

Now that I have obtained my copy of Vista, I am...
Forum: Dell Computers May 5th 07, 02:27 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 4
Posted By David Arnstein
Still no free Vista upgrade

I bought an XPS 710. I requested the Vista upgrade at the end of
February. I received an order number via email. But no charge has been
made to my credit card, and no Vista has been shipped to me.

I...
Forum: Dell Computers February 27th 07, 02:27 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 5
Posted By David Arnstein
Windows Vista Express Upgrade without Microsoft COA?

I recently installed a Dell XPS710. I would like to obtain the
Microsoft Vista software upgrade from Dell. I used the Dell web pile
to initiate this request. I was presented with an HTML form that...
Forum: Dell Computers February 21st 07, 08:17 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 1
Posted By David Arnstein
Repair of WinXP from installation media?

I have a new XPS-710 that I am doing terrible things to. In the process
of education, not cruelty to computers.

I have now screwed up the disk contents so badly that the machine will
not boot. This...
Forum: Dell Computers February 9th 07, 01:16 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 4
Posted By David Arnstein
Old-to-new PC transfer software

My new computer will arrive in a few weeks, and I will install the same
version of Windows on it that I am using now: Windows XP. I have excellent
backups of the old computer, using Retrospect...
Forum: Dell Computers February 7th 07, 11:39 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 6
Posted By David Arnstein
Old to new computer fun and games

In article ,
wrote:
What you should do is backup the old computer using a backup program
that can support...
Forum: Dell Computers February 7th 07, 08:30 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 6
Posted By David Arnstein
Old to new computer fun and games

In article ,
Tom Scales wrote:
It is a great way to learn, but I'd bet $20 it won't work. The HAL for your
old computer is single...
Forum: Dell Computers February 7th 07, 08:28 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 1
Posted By David Arnstein
Small Business Division OSs

In article ,
Notan notan@ddressthatcanbespammed wrote:
Just received the February issue of Dell's monthly flyer...

The Latitudes, Optiplexes, and...
Forum: Dell Computers February 7th 07, 01:53 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 6
Posted By David Arnstein
Old to new computer fun and games

I just put in my order for a Dell XPS 710. It will replace a Dell XPS
that is almost four years old. I will start the new PC with the same
operating system as the old one: Windows XP...
Forum: Dell Computers February 6th 07, 06:02 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 16
Posted By David Arnstein
2.4 GHz Dual Core CPU: Faster than Old 3.0 GHz Pentium?

I am preparing to retire my Dell XPS after almost four years of
service. This old machine has a 3 GHz Pentium 3 single core CPU. A
nice chip, in its time.

Without paying a fortune, I see that the...
Forum: Dell Computers February 6th 07, 03:15 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 10
Posted By David Arnstein
RAID-0 striped disks on new Dell?

I am thinking about ordering an XPS-710 with two identical SATA disk
drives in it. I would configure it with Windows XP, not Vista. What I
would like to do is to re-install Windows XP "from...
Showing results 1 to 22 of 22