Showing results 1 to 20 of 20
Search took 0.26 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: nik Simpson
Forum: Homebuilt PC's May 19th 11, 06:39 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.sci.physics,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design,sci.engr.heat-vent-ac
Replies: 37
Posted By nik Simpson
CFM calculator to get rid of HEAT (TDP or WATTS)

On 5/18/2011 11:17 AM, Joel Koltner wrote:

That being said, 1000CFM is a *huge* amount of air movement and, routed
proplerly, will definitely be adequate to cool an otherwise
well-designed...
Forum: Nvidia Videocards July 23rd 10, 02:28 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Replies: 27
Posted By nik Simpson
ARM-based desktop computer ? (Hybrid computers ?: Low + Highperformance ;))

On 7/21/2010 11:13 PM, Maddoctor wrote:
No, AMD believes competition is good. AMD wants to secure discreete GPUs
market by allowing nVIDIA to do its own APUs.

There's a big difference between...
Forum: Nvidia Videocards July 19th 10, 08:47 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Replies: 27
Posted By nik Simpson
ARM-based desktop computer ? (Hybrid computers ?: Low + Highperformance ;))

On 7/19/2010 10:07 AM, Maddoctor wrote:

I'm pretty sure AMD has allowed nVIDIA to integrate its GPU to AMD
processors especially family 10h core. The main cause was Dirk Meyer hates
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 10th 10, 07:51 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Replies: 11
Posted By nik Simpson
ARM-based desktop computer ? (Hybrid computers ?: Low + Highperformance ;))

On 6/10/2010 12:15 AM, Dave Platt wrote:

[And, for crying out loud, Steve Jobs did *not* invent cellphones or
WiFi, and I don't know of any evidence to suggest that the
availability of...
Forum: Nvidia Videocards June 10th 10, 07:51 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.asus,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,comp.arch,sci.electronics.design
Replies: 27
Posted By nik Simpson
ARM-based desktop computer ? (Hybrid computers ?: Low + Highperformance ;))

On 6/10/2010 12:15 AM, Dave Platt wrote:

[And, for crying out loud, Steve Jobs did *not* invent cellphones or
WiFi, and I don't know of any evidence to suggest that the
availability of...
Forum: Storage & Hardrives August 26th 08, 12:52 PM Posted to comp.arch.storage
Replies: 1
Posted By nik Simpson
Regarding Storage Virtualization

varun wrote:
i am looking for a software solution of storage virtualization with
minimum hardware involved !!
can anyone enlighten me about out of band storage virtualization ! As
i am novice...
Forum: Storage & Hardrives August 25th 08, 03:41 PM Posted to comp.arch.storage
Replies: 3
Posted By nik Simpson
regarding Designing SAN

varun wrote:
to increase the efficiency of SAN . I am thinking of a design which
provides an in band virtualization which recieves data requst n form
of ISCSI packets. splits th requst into...
Forum: Storage & Hardrives August 8th 08, 03:03 AM Posted to comp.arch.storage
Replies: 1
Posted By nik Simpson
Hard disk RAID ?

sciurospiga wrote:
Hello, I have one ethernet LAN (100Mbps) of 6 pc and 1 server.
The server only share many files.
3 pc are utilized for drawing with Cad software (Autodesk Inventor).
But...
Forum: Storage & Hardrives June 21st 08, 03:21 AM Posted to comp.arch.storage
Replies: 3
Posted By nik Simpson
Snapshot of filesystems having containing media files

Chandan wrote:
Hi,

I have a filesystem containing many media files such as JPEG, TIFF,
AVI in the mix. Some of these files are heavily edited by users. So,
if I configure hourly...
Forum: Storage & Hardrives June 13th 08, 09:09 PM Posted to comp.arch.storage
Replies: 4
Posted By nik Simpson
Should I use a 1x or 4x SAS cable?

Ryan408 wrote:
Although I haven't tested
this, I believe that a 4x cable will not give you any benefit over a
1x cable - SATA is only 1-phy.

SATA drives are single-ported, while...
Forum: Storage & Hardrives June 13th 08, 03:18 AM Posted to comp.arch.storage
Replies: 9
Posted By nik Simpson
Crazy idea........USB flash drives converted to IDE or SATAdisks.

Boll Weevil wrote:
On Thu, 12 Jun 2008 12:54:16 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:
What's wrong with a flash SSD like those available from any number of
Forum: Storage & Hardrives June 12th 08, 04:19 PM Posted to comp.arch.storage
Replies: 9
Posted By nik Simpson
Crazy idea........USB flash drives converted to IDE or SATA disks.

Boll Weevil wrote:
My computers HD crashed again and I have to reinstall everything. Recently,
these USB flash drives are getting quite reasonable and I began to think how
nice it would be if...
Forum: Storage (alternative) April 10th 08, 04:35 PM Posted to comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 43
Posted By nik Simpson
Good RAID for New Desktop Machine?

Bob Willard wrote:

With RAID-1 (mirroring) you still should do regular backups. RAID-1
only protects against failure of a HD, and supplies no protection
against failures of any other piece...
Forum: Storage & Hardrives April 10th 08, 04:35 PM Posted to comp.arch.storage,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage

Bob Willard wrote:

With RAID-1 (mirroring) you still should do regular backups. RAID-1
only protects against failure of a HD, and supplies no protection
against failures of any other piece...
Forum: Storage & Hardrives March 28th 08, 05:58 PM Posted to comp.arch.storage
Replies: 5
Posted By nik Simpson
IOPS benchmarks - looking for opinions

fx [François-Xavier Peretmere] wrote:
Hi everyone,

I recently read about the heated contest between two Storage vendors
regarding some IOPS tests one did with the other's gear. The latter's...
Forum: Storage & Hardrives January 25th 08, 03:31 PM Posted to comp.arch.storage
Replies: 7
Posted By nik Simpson
RAID 5 corruption, RAID 1 more stable?

wrote:
On several occasions I have seen situations where faulty UPS's caused
servers wtih RAID 5 arrays to reboot continuosly which caused
corruption to either the RAID...
Forum: Storage & Hardrives January 21st 08, 03:19 AM Posted to comp.arch.storage
Replies: 4
Posted By nik Simpson
Iomega vs LaCie NAS

wrote:
Hi!

I'm looking for an embedded and cheap 500GB RAID1 NAS solution for a
small office. I've narrowed the choice to these two:

LaCie 2Big 1TB
and
Iomega 1TB...
Forum: Storage & Hardrives December 17th 07, 02:35 AM Posted to comp.arch.storage
Replies: 8
Posted By nik Simpson
Promise VTRAK SAN box

Darren K. Murray wrote:
Thank you for the detailed explanation. If I understand you correctly,
since the file system only exists on the SAN client, if I were to remove
one of the disks from...
Forum: Storage & Hardrives December 2nd 07, 03:38 AM Posted to comp.arch.storage
Replies: 11
Posted By nik Simpson
Help with chosing a SAN!

net\0 feeder01.fiberworld.nl\0hardÁŒ\0\0\0\0\0 software, and NetApp has been stirring its
secret sauce longer than most of the current crop of vendors.
Netapp uses the "consistency point" and...
Forum: Storage & Hardrives October 30th 07, 10:04 PM Posted to comp.arch.storage
Replies: 11
Posted By nik Simpson
File size limitations

Faeandar wrote:
Is anyone aware of a way to limit the size of files allowed on a file
system?

Specifically, I don't want files to be able to grow past XGB.

Varies somewhat from filesystem...
Showing results 1 to 20 of 20