Showing results 1 to 25 of 101
Search took 2.63 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: JR Weiss
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 14th 08, 07:27 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 6
Posted By JR Weiss
Life span of typical power supply

"Man-wai Chang ToDie (33.6k)" wrote...

I have a SPI 300W power supply that's now over 4 years old.
Should I replace it? A bit worried about fire risk....

If it works...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 11th 08, 05:54 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 11
Posted By JR Weiss
Recos for socket 775 cpu coolers?

"Ken" wrote...
With all of the intelligent folk around here having done research about which
cpu coolers work best, I would appreciate recommendations. I am designing a
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 10th 08, 05:04 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 16
Posted By JR Weiss
INTEL vs AMD? I've heared all the rumors now could someone tell me the truth?

"GMAN" wrote...

WOW playable, some photo video editing [very little], web browsing, with a
total system budget of $800 which would include everything from...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 9th 08, 05:36 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 16
Posted By JR Weiss
INTEL vs AMD? I've heared all the rumors now could someone tell me the truth?

"Robert Blass" wrote...
So all things being considered, who is best to go with when building a dual
or quad core system? INTEL or AMD?

What are your criteria for...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 8th 08, 04:22 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 2
Posted By JR Weiss
Help with SATA on mobo

"Gabriel Knight" wrote...
Hi all I have a GA-X48-DS5 mobo that has 6 to 8 sata 2 ports on board, I have
one 160gig hdd sata and one DVD burner sata, with the DVD...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 8th 08, 04:49 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 16
Posted By JR Weiss
INTEL vs AMD? I've heared all the rumors now could someone tell me the truth?

"Robert Blass" wrote...
I hear how AMD is a cheaper cpu and is more bang for the buck...Then
hear INTEL cpu is more expensive BUT you can overclock it more than an
AMD???...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 5th 08, 04:44 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By JR Weiss
putting quad core on a dual core mobo?

"john" wrote...
Generally speaking, if you put an intel quad core CPU on a mobo that supports
only dual core, what would happen?

In general, it wouldn't work.

OTOH, there...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 5th 08, 04:42 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 38
Posted By JR Weiss
Is FireWire worthless/obsolete?

"~AlicGinnis~" wrote...
I think way back when, Fireware 1 was faster than USB 1. It may have
pre-dated USB, too. When USB 2 rolled out, the speed advantage of Firewire...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 25th 08, 09:26 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 7
Posted By JR Weiss
Movies from basement PC to 2nd floor bedroom HDTV?

"meatnub" wrote...
I backup movies I own onto my PC. Problem is, the PC is in the
(finished) basement. HDTV is in the bedroom.

Do i burn the movies to CD? Or do I build...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 23rd 08, 07:37 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 3
Posted By JR Weiss
DVD Drive failure

"TVeblen" wrote...
I've had these kinds of problems with optical devices in the past and it
always seemed to be a failed drive. Buy a new one, install it, good to go. At...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 21st 08, 06:27 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 2
Posted By JR Weiss
ASUS A8N SLI-Premium normal temp?

"toronado455" wrote...
Is 41c normal temperature for an ASUS A8N SLI-Premium? (I just got
this and I'm used to my P4PE being only 33c.)

What temp? That's relatively cool...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 19th 08, 11:17 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 3
Posted By JR Weiss
Gigabyte X48-DS4 POST Problem: Replacement MoBo?

My Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4 is still acting up. When I reboot the computer, I get the
standard 1 short beep, then the POST hangs at the memory test with "Memory T" as
the last message showing. If I leave...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 18th 08, 04:48 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 13
Posted By JR Weiss
REMOVAL TOOL FOR XP ANTIVIRUS 2008

"RAGHU" wrote...
HI GUYS ANY BODY HAVING REMOVAL TOOL FOR XP ANTIVIRUS 2008. LET ME
KNOW THE PROCESS OF REMOVAL....

Never heard of it. Where did you get it?
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 15th 08, 07:11 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 1
Posted By JR Weiss
URGENT - Pls help...pls recommend - laptop purchase

wrote...

My main requirements are as follows:
- as fast as poss ( I hate it when it hangs or runs slowly)
- as lightweight as poss

The following are the main programs...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 7th 08, 10:01 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 29
Posted By JR Weiss
Need Firewall?

"Rarius" wrote...

Firstly, I posted my personals adverts into the appropriate groups... You
brought the subject into a computer hardware group.

....and it would be nice...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 7th 08, 02:33 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 36
Posted By JR Weiss
First Home-Built PC

"Dave" wrote...

According to Vista, Vista does not run better if you install more than
1.5GB. Vista might be the first Microsoft OS that does not benefit from
more RAM...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 6th 08, 06:48 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 5
Posted By JR Weiss
Boot hangs at POST Memory Test -- Partial Resolution

Update:

Got an answer on the GRC TechTalk forum. Dunno why this showed up
yesterday, but it's running again...

"masterprometheus" wrote...

Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4, Q9450, 2 x 2 GB OCZ...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 6th 08, 05:44 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 5
Posted By JR Weiss
Boot hangs at Memory Test

"Rarius" wrote...
Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4, Q9450, 2 x 2 GB OCZ Reaper.

Was running fine until I had to reboot after some maintenance (Runs F@H SMP +
GPU clients).

Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 6th 08, 05:29 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 36
Posted By JR Weiss
First Home-Built PC

"Ethan" wrote...
I actually started out looking at Intel systems, but another board
advised me that I was probably buying more power than I needed... How
about this?...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 6th 08, 05:16 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 5
Posted By JR Weiss
Boot hangs at Memory Test

"Paul" wrote...
Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4, Q9450, 2 x 2 GB OCZ Reaper.

Was running fine until I had to reboot after some maintenance (Runs F@H SMP +
GPU clients). I get...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 6th 08, 02:30 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 5
Posted By JR Weiss
Boot hangs at Memory Test

Gigabyte GA-X48-DS4, Q9450, 2 x 2 GB OCZ Reaper.

Was running fine until I had to reboot after some maintenance (Runs F@H SMP +
GPU clients). I get the standard single beep at the BIOS screen, but...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 5th 08, 04:00 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 36
Posted By JR Weiss
First Home-Built PC

"Dave" wrote...

Antec earthwatts EA380 380W ATX12V v2.0 Power Supply

OK, I'm not 100% sure on this. If any 380W power supply will handle this
rig, the earthwatts series,...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 5th 08, 12:48 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 29
Posted By JR Weiss
Need Firewall?

"Mista Fadedglory" wrote...

I recently purchased a Linksys wireless router to have a wireless
network in my house. with that I'm wondering, do I need a software
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 5th 08, 12:45 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 36
Posted By JR Weiss
First Home-Built PC

"Ethan" wrote...

Look fine to me except the 64-bit Vista. Will all your software run on it?

Thanks so much for reading... Like I said, I'm new to this... I read...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 5th 08, 12:13 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 36
Posted By JR Weiss
First Home-Built PC

"Ethan" wrote...

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit English for System
Builders 1pk DSP OEI DVD

I can get all these with rebates for $569.93 + shipping....
Showing results 1 to 25 of 101