Showing results 1 to 25 of 397
Search took 0.78 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Colin Wilson
Forum: Dell Computers January 15th 10, 12:00 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 24
Posted By Colin Wilson
Help - gfx card driver install problems

To remove all registry traces of ATI I would recommend
the free regseeker (http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm) software.
Just unzip and run (no install). I have had great success with
Forum: Ati Videocards January 14th 10, 11:40 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Replies: 4
Posted By Colin Wilson
driver install problem (Dell)

Have you been he

got that lot - or should have

I have never had, and can't find anything specifically related to, your
issue, but see you've been asking around quite a bit. The thread at...
Forum: Dell Computers January 13th 10, 12:38 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 24
Posted By Colin Wilson
Help - gfx card driver install problems

Just came upon this. Does it help you??
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/modtool.php

Slightly different warning this time - possibly an improvement, but
since i've already checked and it should...
Forum: Dell Computers January 13th 10, 12:29 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 24
Posted By Colin Wilson
Help - gfx card driver install problems

Just came upon this. Does it help you??
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/modtool.php

I spotted that the other day and didn't read enough about it - just
giving it a whirl now - thanks for the...
Forum: Dell Computers January 13th 10, 12:25 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 24
Posted By Colin Wilson
Help - gfx card driver install problems

"atisetup.exe -uninstall -output screen" to uninstall current driver.
next, type:
"atisetup.exe -install -output screen" to install driver.

Still fails with "failed to load display driver"
Forum: Dell Computers January 13th 10, 12:25 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 24
Posted By Colin Wilson
Help - gfx card driver install problems

I know this will sound dumb but I presume you are updating with new
"XP" drivers ? Sorry Colin but just had to ask.

Yup
Forum: Dell Computers January 12th 10, 09:18 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 24
Posted By Colin Wilson
Help - gfx card driver install problems

I might have missed it, but I didn't see where you mentioned your OS.
If it's Vista, I recall a similar problem while trying to upgrade the
drivers for the ATI 2400 card. I finally did the...
Forum: Dell Computers January 12th 10, 09:15 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 24
Posted By Colin Wilson
Help - gfx card driver install problems

Getting desparate, you might try to see if you can install this driver
in a dual boot that has a clean OS. If it works, then you know you
have a software conflict in the first OS. If not,...
Forum: Ati Videocards January 12th 10, 08:58 AM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Replies: 4
Posted By Colin Wilson
driver install problem (Dell)

What version of Windows? And what type of user accounts? When you say you
removed the previous version of drivers "as far as possible", does this mean
they _weren't_ removed? Either they...
Forum: Dell Computers January 12th 10, 08:55 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 24
Posted By Colin Wilson
Help - gfx card driver install problems

I'll chip in with a wild guess: are you trying to install from an encrypted
folder, or is your temp folder encrypted?

'fraid not - i've never used an encrypted drive / folder, as I know
how...
Forum: Dell Computers January 12th 10, 08:54 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 24
Posted By Colin Wilson
Help - gfx card driver install problems

Just a wild guess but have you disabled any firewall or malware
protection? Sometimes error messages can be deceiving.

Yep, been there, done that - it was the first thing I did before
trying...
Forum: Dell Computers January 12th 10, 08:54 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 24
Posted By Colin Wilson
Help - gfx card driver install problems

That is really very strange. Have you tried creating a new administratively
privileged user account to see what happens then?

Not yet, but it's worth a shot !

My Computer Properties ...
Forum: Ati Videocards January 12th 10, 12:01 AM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Replies: 4
Posted By Colin Wilson
driver install problem (Dell)

Apologies for the copy and paste from a thread over at a Dell group,
but i'd appreciate any advice on the following :-}

I bought the ATI 4670 per the messages earlier in the week, but i'm...
Forum: Dell Computers January 11th 10, 11:56 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 24
Posted By Colin Wilson
Help - gfx card driver install problems

Even with the stand-alone driver (which still seems to want to use the
catalyst installer) I get the same error as before;

From the error log;
Driver Install: user must be a member of the...
Forum: Dell Computers January 11th 10, 11:43 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 24
Posted By Colin Wilson
Help - gfx card driver install problems

What (if any) error is given when you try in normal mode, with or
without the installer? If you don't get one, is the System Event Log
recording anything?

From the error log;

Driver Install:...
Forum: Dell Computers January 11th 10, 10:38 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 24
Posted By Colin Wilson
Help - gfx card driver install problems

I bought the ATI 4670 per the messages earlier in the week, but i'm
hitting a strange problem, and haven't been able to figure out how the
hell to work around it...

The drivers simply refuse to...
Forum: Dell Computers January 10th 10, 06:35 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 14
Posted By Colin Wilson
Avira Free vs Microsoft Security Essentials

I don't think it a good idea have more then one antivirus software on
a systems, since one will think other is a virus ad give you a false
alarm.

SpywareTerminator (never heard of it) and...
Forum: Dell Computers January 9th 10, 11:43 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 14
Posted By Colin Wilson
Avira Free vs Microsoft Security Essentials

Neither.
Then which free one would you go for?

Avast

Supplement it with;

ZoneAlarm (free)
SpywareBlaster (free)
Firefox (free)
Forum: Dell Computers January 6th 10, 10:59 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 3
Posted By Colin Wilson
Follow-up: Dimension 5150 - PCIe / PCIe 2.0 ?

Yes. I just ordered the Nvidia 240, it appears to be about the most
powerful card you can use with a 300 w power supply...if I am not mistaken,
the 4670 needs a more robust power supply than...
Forum: Dell Computers January 6th 10, 01:05 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 3
Posted By Colin Wilson
Follow-up: Dimension 5150 - PCIe / PCIe 2.0 ?

Does anyone know if a PCIe 2.0 gfx card will fit in a PCIe slot ?

- not sure whether the ATI 4670 would be capable of going in this
machine having noticed that :-}

TIA :-)
Forum: Dell Computers January 2nd 10, 06:44 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 2
Posted By Colin Wilson
Graphics cards / Dimension 5150

I cannot comment about the ATI4760, but I can tell you about what I have done on my sons
5150.
The best investment so far has been 2GB ram and a 500GB samsung drive.

I'm debating RAM as well,...
Forum: Dell Computers January 2nd 10, 04:09 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 2
Posted By Colin Wilson
Graphics cards / Dimension 5150

I've got a 5150 desktop (UK) which is getting on for 4 years old now,
but other than weak* graphics it's still doing nicely...

* I mainly play a mod for the original Half-Life engine, but an update...
Forum: Dell Computers November 6th 09, 11:48 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 7
Posted By Colin Wilson
Auto shutdown after boot up when nothing is done

When I start a Dell computer I often wish to do something else while waiting for the
boot process to finish.
If I forget to come back within 2 minutes, the computer will shut down. Over again...
Forum: Dell Computers October 22nd 09, 12:11 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 7
Posted By Colin Wilson
Dell refunds Windows price for Linux User

I am tired of hearing this. That is false. I have 25 important programs
that perform functions in multimedia, statistics, etc that have no Linux
versions.

Might I just add then that you're...
Forum: Dell Computers October 20th 09, 07:27 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 7
Posted By Colin Wilson
Dell refunds Windows price for Linux User

I wonder what he is going to do with Linux.

Browse, check email, pretty much anything you might want to do under
Windows - although it might not always be as pain free or easy to do.

On the...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 397