Showing results 1 to 25 of 500
Search took 3.11 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: BillW50
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 23rd 14, 10:40 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Replies: 6
Posted By BillW50
Thermal glue/grease for filling gaps?

In ,
John Doe typed:
Before installing a heatsink. I would like to fill in some gaps
around the heat pipes that are sandwiched between an aluminum and
copper...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's May 26th 14, 11:56 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,comp.mobile.android
Replies: 10
Posted By BillW50
Bluetooth headset (speakers and mic) recommendation?

On 5/26/2014 5:21 PM, John Doe wrote:
Maybe I should forget Bluetooth, if the microphone input sucks.

Definitely need to hear examples on YouTube or wherever.

Well I am not up on all of them,...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's May 16th 14, 06:37 AM Posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.windows-xp,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 7
Posted By BillW50
Major new development in Windows 98 RAM memory capability patch has been discovered!

In ,
98 Guy" "98 typed:
BillW50 wrote:

Have you actually found Windows 98SE benefit from more than 64MB
of RAM?

That is such a dumb question.

I...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's May 15th 14, 03:41 PM Posted to microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,alt.windows-xp,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 7
Posted By BillW50
Major new development in Windows 98 RAM memory capability patch has been discovered!

In ,
98 Guy typed:
Any questions? Comments?

Post them! No censorship here!

Have you actually found Windows 98SE benefit from more than 64MB of RAM?
I only...
Forum: Gateway Computers April 29th 14, 03:24 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Replies: 5
Posted By BillW50
Assistance Please

On 4/26/2014 6:27 PM, Lee wrote:
I have looked and looked but nothing seems to work. It is weird Can't
right click on Desktop nothing happens, no icons at all. they all
ended up in the...
Forum: Gateway Computers April 26th 14, 10:03 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Replies: 5
Posted By BillW50
Assistance Please

On 4/24/2014 6:42 AM, Lee wrote:
Hi BillW50, when I right click on the desktop nothing happens at all. I do
have the tool bar but much prefer having the icons. For some reason I
always get...
Forum: Gateway Computers March 30th 14, 03:05 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Replies: 5
Posted By BillW50
Assistance Please

In ,
Lee typed:
I am running my Gateway on Vista and the other day I had a crash and
was able to recover from it but now my desktop screen is missing all
the...
Forum: Gateway Computers March 12th 14, 07:04 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.gateway2000
Replies: 3
Posted By BillW50
A question

On 3/12/2014 10:44 AM, Lee wrote:
I am running Vista on my computer and on numerous
occasions when I right click on ie trash or some other
items the sand timer just keeps on going and nothing
Forum: Dell Computers March 3rd 14, 03:13 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 31
Posted By BillW50
GNU/Linux a viable alternative to Windows?

On 3/2/2014 8:06 PM, Steve Urbach wrote:
Most distributions have Live CD's. Download the ISO, Burn the CD/DVD. Then
Boot it for a full experience without installing

Pull your Windows drive out...
Forum: Dell Computers March 2nd 14, 10:51 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 31
Posted By BillW50
GNU/Linux a viable alternative to Windows?

On 3/2/2014 3:35 PM, BillW50 wrote:
The Media Center came with Windows Home, Pro, and I
forgot what else.

That should be Windows 7 Home, Pro...

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) - Thunderbird...
Replies: 31
Posted By BillW50
GNU/Linux a viable alternative to Windows?

On 3/2/2014 3:21 PM, Larry wrote:
On Sunday, March 2, 2014 12:13:50 PM UTC-7, BillW50 wrote:
On 3/2/2014 12:29 PM, Larry wrote:

Looking to slowly change from Windows to Linux.

Why?...
Forum: Dell Computers March 2nd 14, 10:35 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 31
Posted By BillW50
GNU/Linux a viable alternative to Windows?

On 3/2/2014 3:27 PM, Larry wrote:
Bill,

My understanding is Windows Media Player was not included with Windows 8. I believe it was offered free for a short time. Don't know about Windows...
Forum: Dell Computers March 2nd 14, 09:41 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell

On 3/2/2014 2:21 PM, Ben Myers wrote:
On Sunday, March 2, 2014 2:13:50 PM UTC-5, BillW50 wrote:
On 3/2/2014 12:29 PM, Larry wrote:

Looking to slowly change from Windows to Linux.

Forum: Dell Computers March 2nd 14, 09:17 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 31
Posted By BillW50
GNU/Linux a viable alternative to Windows?

On 3/2/2014 2:14 PM, Ben Myers wrote:
With either of these, you get LibreOffice with a full complement of document, spreadsheet, presentation and data base capabilities. LibreOffice operates a lot...
Forum: Dell Computers March 2nd 14, 08:13 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 31
Posted By BillW50
GNU/Linux a viable alternative to Windows?

On 3/2/2014 12:29 PM, Larry wrote:
Looking to slowly change from Windows to Linux.

Why? Every time I run Linux I am so very disappointed. So what's your angle?

--
Bill
Gateway M465e ('06 era) -...

In ,
John Doe typed:
I know it was recommended, but I can't find the thread. As I recall,
it was in the Windows 7 group, but I would use it in 8 as well.

It's...
Forum: General February 24th 14, 12:49 AM Posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.windows7.general
Replies: 38
Posted By BillW50
How many x86 instructions?

On 2/23/2014 5:45 PM, Gene E. Bloch wrote:
On 2/23/2014, J. P. Gilliver (John) posted:
In message , charlie
writes:
[]
At the time, the...
Forum: General February 24th 14, 12:15 AM Posted to comp.sys.intel,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,alt.windows7.general
Replies: 38
Posted By BillW50
How many x86 instructions?

On 2/23/2014 4:41 PM, charlie wrote:
The front panel on many of the old mainframes and minicomputers allowed
direct entry of machine code, and was usually used to manually enter
such things as...
Forum: Dell Computers February 9th 14, 09:51 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 12
Posted By BillW50
How to know fan speeds on a Dell

"micky" wrote in message
On Sun, 09 Feb 2014 01:46:14 -0500, micky
wrote:

How to know...
Forum: Dell Computers February 2nd 14, 07:03 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Replies: 3
Posted By BillW50
Dell Venue 8 Pro - Win8.1

On 2/2/2014 11:21 AM, mobilelawyer wrote:
On Sun, 02 Feb 2014 05:29:43 -0600, wrote:

On 2/1/2014 9:52 PM, ps56k wrote:
I happen to see this has been reduced in...
Forum: Dell Computers February 2nd 14, 12:29 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Replies: 3
Posted By BillW50
Dell Venue 8 Pro - Win8.1

On 2/1/2014 9:52 PM, ps56k wrote:
I happen to see this has been reduced in price at the Microsoft store.
Just wondering if anyone has played with one...
- Dell Venue 8" Pro - Win8.1

You might...
Forum: Dell Computers January 28th 14, 11:16 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 7
Posted By BillW50
What Thermal Paste

On 1/28/2014 2:24 PM, Dean-MN wrote:
Hi,
I may need to remove and replace a heat sink and will need to reapply
the thermal paste. While shopping online for a suitable paste my mind
nearly...
Forum: Dell Computers January 11th 14, 01:57 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 9
Posted By BillW50
XPS-18-i7: Windows 8.1 breaks bluetooth

On 1/11/2014 4:47 AM, David Arnstein wrote:
I have a shiny new XPS-18, the one with the Intel i7 processor in it.
As delivered, it worked great. Then I did the free Windows 8 -
Windows 8.1...
Forum: Dell Computers January 9th 14, 11:59 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 4
Posted By BillW50
Nvidia GeForce GT 640 Card Driver?

On 1/9/2014 4:04 PM, wrote:
I have the Nvidia GeForce GT 640 Card on my Dell XPS 8500 and see it has driver
version 320.78 installed. I see the latest version on the Nvidia...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 7th 14, 09:44 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.os.windows-8
Replies: 51
Posted By BillW50
OT How safe is a 7-zip passworded file?

In ,
Mr. Man-wai Chang typed:
On 8/01/2014 3:03 AM, Paul wrote:
It's a good thing I bought a few extra rolls of tinfoil
this week, to make my tinfoil hat a bit...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 500