Showing results 1 to 22 of 22
Search took 0.04 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: -Lost
Forum: General September 3rd 08, 03:58 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 12
Posted By -Lost
Please advise most likely problem - IBM Travelstar hit the floor, clicks while "spinning."

Response to kony :

Boot the system to the hard drive manufacturer's diagnostics
program, either with it in the laptop or pull it and put it
in another laptop, or a desktop via...
Forum: General September 3rd 08, 03:55 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 5
Posted By -Lost
Laptop manufacturers: Please embed GPS chipsets in laptops

Response to DevilsPGD :

That's one implementation. I'd be just as happy to have a
laptop with 802.11n, Bluetooth, GPS, and EVDO-revA built in so
that I don't have...
Forum: General September 3rd 08, 03:34 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 12
Posted By -Lost
Please advise most likely problem - IBM Travelstar hit the floor, clicks while "spinning."

Response to Sjouke Burry :

Those clicks are the result of recalibration attempts,
quite reasonable after that fall.
Also the disk might have a lot of bad...
Forum: General September 3rd 08, 03:31 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 12
Posted By -Lost
Please advise most likely problem - IBM Travelstar hit the floor, clicks while "spinning."

Response to John McGaw :

Was the drive powered up when it hit or did it simply fall off
the table? Onto concrete/tile or carpet? Modern drives, most
especially notebook...
Forum: General September 2nd 08, 03:16 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 12
Posted By -Lost
Please advise most likely problem - IBM Travelstar hit the floor, clicks while "spinning."

Please advise most likely problem - IBM Travelstar hit the floor,
clicks while "spinning."

What is the most likely culprit in this situation? When I would plug
it in I could hear it spinning with...
Forum: General June 14th 08, 03:22 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 14
Posted By -Lost
Please clarify what a TigerDirect sales rep said about a mobo.

Response to DevilsPGD :

snip

UAC is frustrating to fight with when you first start out, but
once your system is up and running your average user really
Forum: General June 14th 08, 03:13 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 14
Posted By -Lost
Please clarify what a TigerDirect sales rep said about a mobo.

Response to Pecos :

snip

In that case you might want to check out the free XP 64 bit 120 day
trial:

Forum: General June 14th 08, 05:26 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 14
Posted By -Lost
Please clarify what a TigerDirect sales rep said about a mobo.

Response to Pecos :

Thanks for the response, Pecos.

Another consideration that you need to be aware of is that a
Windows 64 bit OS does not support 16 bit...
Forum: General June 14th 08, 05:22 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 11
Posted By -Lost
How to fully utilize a Quad Core? A Duo Core would/could suffice? Thanks!

Response to "-Lost" :

snip

This is my first venture into anything beyond a single-core and I
am VERY hesitant to blow cash on something I will never fully
Forum: General June 14th 08, 05:16 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 11
Posted By -Lost
How to fully utilize a Quad Core? A Duo Core would/could suffice?

Response to John McGaw :

snip

I started mentally adding up the approximate costs of the software
packages you named and before I finished I decided that anyone who
can...
Forum: General June 12th 08, 09:18 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 14
Posted By -Lost
Please clarify what a TigerDirect sales rep said about a mobo.

Response to kony :

Thanks for responding, kony.

3. If used in a 32-bit environment, a limitation of Windows is
that it will only recognize 3.5GB of RAM.

Yes, some of the...
Forum: General June 12th 08, 09:05 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 14
Posted By -Lost
Please clarify what a TigerDirect sales rep said about a mobo.

Response to Paul :

snip

Sheesh! Where do I start? You know your stuff, Paul.

Thanks!

If the processor used, supports EM64T, it has support for both
32 and 64 bit OSes....
Forum: General June 12th 08, 05:55 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 11
Posted By -Lost
How to fully utilize a Quad Core? A Duo Core would/could suffice?

How to fully utilize a Quad Core? A Duo Core would/could suffice?

Everything I have ever read says that multiple core processors are
wasted in "single threads" (not real threading). That is,...
Forum: General June 12th 08, 05:30 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 14
Posted By -Lost
Please clarify what a TigerDirect sales rep said about a mobo.

Please clarify what a TigerDirect sales rep said about a mobo.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?
EdpNo=3523225&CatId=1533

It has been a long time since I did any...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 9th 07, 09:19 PM Posted to alt.comp.freeware,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 70
Posted By -Lost
New boot disk - What freeware to reinstall (here is my list, for starters)

Response from :

Erica Eshoo wrote:
On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 13:33:04 -0600, -Lost wrote:

IZArc is the first compression archiver I have ever
seen that makes a...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 9th 07, 09:17 PM Posted to alt.comp.freeware,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 70
Posted By -Lost
New boot disk - What freeware to reinstall (here is my list, for starters)

Response from Erica Eshoo :

On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 13:33:04 -0600, -Lost wrote:
IZArc is the first compression archiver I have ever
seen that makes a compressed...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 9th 07, 05:09 AM Posted to alt.comp.freeware,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 70
Posted By -Lost
New boot disk - What freeware to reinstall (here is my list, for starters)

Response from John Fitzsimons :

On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 00:03:12 -0600, "-Lost"
wrote:

Response from John Fitzsimons...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 8th 07, 07:33 PM Posted to alt.comp.freeware,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 70
Posted By -Lost
New boot disk - What freeware to reinstall (here is my list, for starters)

Response from Erica Eshoo :

I think IZArc freeware can create RAR archives.
Its web page says it's the most complete archive utility available
today, freeware or...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 8th 07, 06:07 AM Posted to alt.comp.freeware,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 70
Posted By -Lost
New boot disk - What freeware to reinstall (here is my list, for starters)

Response from bealoid :

Erica Eshoo wrote in
news:zj%Xi.2580$RR6.979 @newssvr22.news.prodigy.net:

[snip]

May I ask:
What does...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 8th 07, 06:03 AM Posted to alt.comp.freeware,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 70
Posted By -Lost
New boot disk - What freeware to reinstall (here is my list, for starters)

Response from John Fitzsimons :

On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 14:38:37 -0800, wrote:

snip

Winzip was once in common use and is well known,...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 5th 07, 09:21 AM Posted to alt.comp.freeware,misc.consumers.frugal-living,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 70
Posted By -Lost
New boot disk - What freeware to reinstall (here is my list, for starters)

Response from bluerhinoceros :

PrevX CSI.

http://www.prevx.com/freescan.asp

Since when is this freeware? Or is the online scan part actually free?

--
-Lost
Forum: Storage (alternative) November 5th 07, 05:49 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware,alt.comp.freeware

Response from "Rod Speed" :

You _must_ be a genius 'cuz I can never get that to work.

Anyone with a clue can. You dont need to be anything like a
genius.

I have...
Showing results 1 to 22 of 22