Showing results 1 to 25 of 69
Search took 0.10 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: NIl
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 1st 18, 08:16 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 19
Posted By NIl
Slightly off-topic: Tracking Files

On 01 Jul 2018, Paul wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

Nil wrote:
I do! Three of then, in fact. I have no idea what they are or
what they do. I don't think...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 1st 18, 07:29 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 19
Posted By NIl
Slightly off-topic: Tracking Files

On 01 Jul 2018, Paul wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

I don't have a "counters.dat" on the C: drive.

I do! Three of then, in fact. I have no idea what they are or...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 9th 17, 08:23 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 6
Posted By NIl
Port Forwarding?

On 09 Dec 2017, Davej wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

So port forwarding only works with one computer? If you have two
gaming computers then you are screwed? What...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 8th 17, 08:05 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By NIl
Windows OEM musical chairs

On 08 Dec 2017, VanguardLH wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

Are you asking how to violate the OEM license to work around
validation? This is not a warez, hacking, or...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 7th 17, 08:16 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By NIl
Windows OEM musical chairs

I own one Windows 7 Pro OEM license and one Windows 7 Home OEM license.
The Pro license is currently in use on a computer that doesn't take
advantage of its advantages (specifically its RAM limit...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 2nd 17, 07:40 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 18
Posted By NIl
Case issue

On 01 Dec 2017, VanguardLH wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

The images at Newegg don't even show a drive cage, so how are you
going to mount the HDDs or SSDs?

Scroll...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 1st 17, 10:45 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 18
Posted By NIl
Case issue

On 01 Dec 2017, Larc wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

I got this case and am happy with it. 2 external bays that will
accommodate CD/DVD drives. No side...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 1st 17, 07:46 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 18
Posted By NIl
Case issue

On 01 Dec 2017, Paul wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

I think I'd just return the case, and get
a case I really want.

You're right, that's the best solution....
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 1st 17, 07:04 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 18
Posted By NIl
Case issue

On 01 Dec 2017, Larc wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

I got this case and am happy with it. 2 external bays that will
accommodate CD/DVD drives. No side...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 1st 17, 02:34 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 18
Posted By NIl
Case issue

I'm into my computer build (first since 2006!) that I mentioned in a
case I bought from...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 29th 17, 04:02 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 9
Posted By NIl
Build advice sought...

On 27 Nov 2017, Flasherly wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

An AMD Ryzen at some advanced point pulls into parity with Intel
performance offerings at significantly,...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 29th 17, 03:59 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 9
Posted By NIl
Build advice sought...

On 27 Nov 2017, Larc wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

If the OP doesn't intend to overclock anything, H270 could also be
a consideration. I opted for an ASRock...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 29th 17, 03:56 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 9
Posted By NIl
Build advice sought...

On 27 Nov 2017, Paul wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

i5-6600k 1151 Skylake

This is what I decided on. I don't necessarily want or need the ability
to overclock,...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 16th 17, 01:30 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 3
Posted By NIl
Sick laptop

On 15 Mar 2017, Paul wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

Would this be one of the machines with the NVidia GPU problem ?

I'll check on that. I've been trying to keep...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 15th 17, 09:41 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 3
Posted By NIl
Sick laptop

I have an HP Pavilion laptop that I inherited from a friend a few years
ago. It's got Windows 7 64-bit on it. It's been running pretty well all
along, though it tends to run very hot.

I either...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 18th 17, 11:59 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 10
Posted By NIl
Cassette to phone

On 17 Jan 2017, Seymore4Head wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

My car has a cassette deck. I have been using a cassette tape
with a phone plug to listen...
Forum: Storage (alternative) January 7th 17, 11:22 PM Posted to alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 25
Posted By NIl
installing HD

On 07 Jan 2017, "Linea Recta" wrote in
alt.windows7.general:

Think you're right. I should have typed VV in stead of W. (my
damned eyes are getting worse)
Here's an...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 6th 17, 11:01 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 20
Posted By NIl
Broken PC repair

On 06 Jan 2017, Larc wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

I have SSDs for C: drive on 3 PCs and really don't see a lot of
difference over SATA III HDDs other than...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 6th 17, 06:34 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 20
Posted By NIl
Broken PC repair

On 06 Jan 2017, Paul wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

Nil wrote:
What do you think? Is it worthwhile pursuing the SSD cache drive,
or should I just let it...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 6th 17, 07:38 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 20
Posted By NIl
Broken PC repair

On 08 Dec 2016, Nil wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

I've agreed to try to fix a friend's computer (HP ENVY Phoenix
h9-1335 Desktop running Windows 8.1...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 21st 16, 12:44 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 7
Posted By NIl
Why a small SSD + large HDD?

This is related to the broken computer I mentioned previously that I'm
trying to fix for a friend...

The computer had a 2 TB drive that had failed. I think I've got that
under control (I'll post...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 17th 16, 11:12 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 20
Posted By NIl
Broken PC repair

On 15 Dec 2016, Nil wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

On 12 Dec 2016, Paul wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:
I...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 15th 16, 08:11 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 20
Posted By NIl
Broken PC repair

On 12 Dec 2016, Paul wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

There is an area of the disk with the partition
table. You could capture that, if you were a rocket
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 12th 16, 08:12 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 20
Posted By NIl
Broken PC repair

On 11 Dec 2016, Paul wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

For a job like this, at least two spare drives
are recommended. So you can always have a
"best effort"...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 10th 16, 10:07 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 20
Posted By NIl
Broken PC repair

On 08 Dec 2016, Paul wrote in
alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt:

It sounds like a disk problem, and you know
how reliable rotating hard disks are. Read the SMART with
a...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 69