Showing results 1 to 25 of 59
Search took 0.03 seconds.
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 3rd 19, 08:58 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 1
Posted By [email protected]
new Threadripper 3900 memory access modes?

I read a review at wccftech, which has this intriguing sentence:

With memory access modes, users can select between UMA (maximum memory bandwidth) and NUMA (lowest latency) modes.

So what is going...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 15th 17, 12:36 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 31
Posted By [email protected]
Is there consumer s/w available now that uses multi-core CPUs?

On Saturday, July 15, 2017 at 1:30:51 AM UTC+8, RayLopez99 wrote:

I think a bigger benefit of multi-cores is that you can run several apps simultaneously. I just wish that Intel/AMD would have...
Forum: Intel June 6th 17, 10:33 AM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 2
Posted By [email protected]
Intel's super-dooper i9

On Sunday, June 4, 2017 at 4:41:40 AM UTC+8, Yousuf Khan wrote:
It looks like it caused AMD to react back as well. Originally
Threadripper was supposed to only have 44 PCIe lanes, now they...
Forum: Intel June 3rd 17, 05:58 AM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 2
Posted By [email protected]
Intel's super-dooper i9

It looks like AMD have caused Intel to pull their finger out at last,
after giving us teeny improvements the last few tick-tocks.
Must be worried about Threadripper, so they announce extreme i9...
Forum: Storage (alternative) January 30th 16, 08:32 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 0
Posted By [email protected]
the NSA stores 1,000,000,000 times the data than the STASI

at least we can make jokes about the STASI

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2380936/Stasi-style-How-East-Germanys-secret-police-dressed-agents-ensure-infiltrate-lives-suspects.html
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 9th 15, 10:01 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 31
Posted By [email protected]
AMD sued for selling 4 core chips as 8 core chips.

On Sunday, November 8, 2015 at 4:08:18 PM UTC+8, rickman wrote:

The only reason they are even around is because Intel lost an
anti-competitive lawsuit and paid AMD about $2 billion if I...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 9th 15, 09:56 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 31
Posted By [email protected]
AMD suited for selling 4 core chips as 8 core chips.

On Sunday, November 8, 2015 at 1:09:59 PM UTC+8, Sylvia Else wrote:
On 8/11/2015 1:19 PM, Skybuck Flying wrote:
Another chip company in trouble because of "fraud",

AMD suited for...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 25th 15, 03:57 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 17
Posted By [email protected]
computer case

On Friday, September 25, 2015 at 7:40:11 PM UTC+8, Paul wrote:

The computer case helps separate you from the computer. If you
like to spill beverages, it can keep the beverage from entering
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 13th 15, 12:13 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 23
Posted By [email protected]
Where do old computers go to die?

On Thursday, September 10, 2015 at 8:23:52 AM UTC+8, Nil wrote:

Where I live, the city councils have a "verge pickup" twice a year.
You put out junk including e-waste for them to collect.
Generally,...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 11th 15, 10:16 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By [email protected]
Evercase cases do not last for ever

On Friday, April 10, 2015 at 6:03:00 PM UTC+8, Flasherly wrote:
They often are when extra cheap. I've only had one that's knocked me
out and cost me some real money -- an Antec all-aluminum. ...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 10th 15, 07:41 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By [email protected]
Evercase cases do not last for ever

I was shown one of these things - the power button was busted.
It has a spring made of clear plastic that also serves as a lightguide
from the LED.
Tried to get front panel off. 2 clips on one side,...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 4th 15, 09:08 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 21
Posted By [email protected]
[fw] AMD Sued for Overestimating APU Success to Investors

On Friday, April 3, 2015 at 1:48:37 AM UTC+8, Paul wrote:

All they would have to do, is ask anyone with a
modicum of technical knowledge about the product,
to determine it wasn't going to...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 28th 14, 07:25 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 9
Posted By [email protected]
Bad CMOS Battery

I have built and bought dozens of PCs over the last 20 years.
I have had at least 3 PCs with this problem, they were LGA775 or LGA1156
boards, but different makes. The battery would go flat after a...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 29th 14, 06:42 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 5
Posted By [email protected]
Win7's dirty, dirty little bits

On Sunday, September 28, 2014 6:11:25 AM UTC+8, Flasherly wrote:
Exit Win7 - all indications - normally;- Ditto for Win XP.

Periodically, more than I'd like, upon a boot menu/arbitrator to...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 23rd 14, 01:47 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 7
Posted By [email protected]
RAID disk "degraded" but divorced they are happy

On Sunday, September 21, 2014 6:57:05 PM UTC+8, Mark F wrote:
See also:...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 17th 14, 12:27 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 25
Posted By [email protected]
Fanless or near fanless PC 2014 ? (sub 5 watts)

On Saturday, September 13, 2014 11:32:24 PM UTC+8, Flasherly wrote:

Weren't they at one point Cyrix from pre-X586 (Pentium pin sockets),

aka 486 processors -- a merger/acquisition of the...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 13th 14, 12:14 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 25
Posted By [email protected]
Fanless or near fanless PC 2014 ? (sub 5 watts)

VIA (remember them?) have been making fanless CPUs for donkeys years,
for set-top boxes, cash registers and so on.
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 13th 14, 12:10 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 2
Posted By [email protected]
Jetway poverty-pack cheap crap mainboards

I went to a clearance sale at a computer store.
There I bought a Jetway mainboard, new still in box for $5.
It is AM3 and I had a few CPUs I could put in it.
The specs on Jetway website stated it...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 6th 14, 03:55 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 1
Posted By [email protected]
anybody getting dodgy e-mails to update your Coolermaster login?

I got one stating that forum system was upgraded, so I should update login
information. When I hold mouse over the link it has another URL
starting with app.sendstream.com
So I did not click on link...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 6th 14, 03:45 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 3
Posted By [email protected]
new conroe-4m

I once compared a 2400 MHz Conroe to a 3600 MHz Cedar Mill on same
mainboard - the benchmarks very very similar. So Conroe was about 50%
better than old Netburst.
I imagine a Prescott-2M would have...
Forum: Storage (alternative) August 10th 14, 02:10 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 1
Posted By [email protected]
data transfer speed with NAS?

Suppose I got an enterprise-grade NAS and connect it to one workstation (at least a Sandy Bridge i7) via ethernet so the NAS is pumping out a large file at 1 Gb/s.
What data rate would I get? 100...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 25th 14, 10:11 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By [email protected]
slow PATA disk in Centos

On Wednesday, June 25, 2014 1:16:11 AM UTC+8, Paul wrote:

It does sound to me like PIO mode (4 to 7MB/sec), so you're
looking in the right area. You would think of
all utilities, hdparm...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 24th 14, 01:36 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By [email protected]
slow PATA disk in Centos

While building some workstations with Centos operating system,
I found some Deskstar 320 GB PATA disks that were hardly used (about 30 hours).
I used these for swap and tmp, although swap shouldn't...
Forum: Intel May 25th 14, 03:02 AM Posted to comp.sys.intel
Replies: 1
Posted By [email protected]
equilvalence of ARM versus x86 for numerical computation?

As ARM is making inroads into the cluster market, I am curious
how easy it will be to switch to this platform.

In the noughties I worked for a company using clusters of Opterons.
They looked at...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's May 22nd 14, 11:22 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 19
Posted By [email protected]
8 gig RAM on older hardware

Who made 4 GiB DDR2 for laptops?
I have only seen 4 GiB sticks in servers. There were a few for desktops,
but I haven't seen any used. I think by the time it came out, people were
switching to DDR3.
Showing results 1 to 25 of 59