Showing results 1 to 22 of 22
Search took 0.42 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Tom
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 3rd 09, 04:37 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 0
Posted By Tom
Windows 7 and Canon i450 driver

Hi all,

I know this is a compatibility issue between the older Canon i450
driver and Win 7 - Canon has released an add on for this situation
(called aomwin110ea24.exe on its UK version of the web...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 29th 09, 08:35 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 1
Posted By Tom
Windows 7 (64) and Psiwin software

Hi All

I have discovered that Psion Psiwin will not install or run properly
under Windows 7 Home Premium edition ... unless I've missed something.
Which I hope I have.....

I understand that there...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's November 18th 09, 06:02 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 5
Posted By Tom
How to use laptop hard drive on PC

Hi All !

I need to get the data off an Acer Laptop's HDD as the Acer's keyboard
refuses to function - I suspect a controller chip on the mainboard has
blown.

Anyway I have the laptop's HDD out of...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 21st 09, 01:24 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 19
Posted By Tom
Make your own NAS - Computer Shopper UK #259 September 2009

Thanks for the advice and link - its greatly appreciated.

I can see now from what you say why the FreeNAS software on an old PC
would be much better !

Cheers, Tom
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 21st 09, 12:08 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 19
Posted By Tom
Make your own NAS - Computer Shopper UK #259 September 2009

Thanks guys for the help here, great appreciated...

I have now seen on eBay the following NAS enclosure
NETGEAR SC101 NETWORK ATTACHED STORAGE NAS ENCLOSURE
- its an IDE model (2 disc drives), which...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 19th 09, 10:15 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 19
Posted By Tom
Make your own NAS - Computer Shopper UK #259 September 2009

I have two fossil PCs on which win2k power-off @ shutdown bails out
with a "You-may-turn-off-power-now". *Both power-off without a whimper
under Debian. *No guarantee it will work on all...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 19th 09, 04:39 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 19
Posted By Tom
Make your own NAS - Computer Shopper UK #259 September 2009

Yep... 'tis true. It can boot from a cdrom, I just suspected booting
from a usb device would be easier. Also the power off on shutdown has
never worked on this old pc (poss power management issue I'm...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 19th 09, 02:41 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 19
Posted By Tom
Make your own NAS - Computer Shopper UK #259 September 2009

I can see why its so difficult to find their web site - it appears
they went bust in May 2009... but the bios upgrade must be out there
somewhere.

Tom
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 19th 09, 02:24 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 19
Posted By Tom
Make your own NAS - Computer Shopper UK #259 September 2009

Thanks again for the replies about FreeNAS software.

I am planning to use a fairly acient PC (that does run XP slowly, but
OK) using, of course, FreeNAS - I've turned off Halt on Keyboard
errors in...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 19th 09, 11:42 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 19
Posted By Tom
Make your own NAS - Computer Shopper UK #259 September 2009

Many thanks for the reply.... that's made the whole thing a lot more
viable.

I assume that with the FreeNAS software you can't just turn the NAS
server off at the end of the day - there's no...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 19th 09, 11:35 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 8
Posted By Tom
COA key change

Er.. surely if it (XP) was a manufacturer's bios checking copy you
would have been given the activation nag screen for 30 days on
installation .... I've seen that happen when the customer tries...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 18th 09, 03:47 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 19
Posted By Tom
Make your own NAS - Computer Shopper UK #259 September 2009

In CS #259 they had an article on “Make your own NAS” - it's a great
article and a great idea and I like many others have an old PC and
some hard discs I could readily use for it.

But the...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's May 23rd 09, 07:48 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 7
Posted By Tom
WD HDD not recognised by XP

Sorry, forgot to add that the new WD HDD CAN be seen on my notebook pc
using, of course, the USB adaptor. Could this anything to do with XP
SP3? The netbook has this but the desktop not.

Thanks, R
Forum: Homebuilt PC's May 23rd 09, 07:45 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 7
Posted By Tom
WD HDD not recognised by XP

Hi All,
I have a brand new WD Caviar HDD (EIDE/PATA) that has a relatively
modest capacity of 80gb. I bought it about a year ago from eBuyer as a
spare drive and only got round to using it this...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's May 23rd 09, 02:43 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By Tom
can I use cl3 memory instead of 2.5 ?

Hello Paul again,

Very many, many thanks for the fantastically detailed reply you have
given - I'm working my way through all the info contained therein -
the Memtest+ program is particularly useful...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's May 21st 09, 10:17 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By Tom
can I use cl3 memory instead of 2.5 ?

Thanks Paul for the very detailed info. I did give the new memory (ie.
512mb 400 ddr cl3) a try but the XP conked out halfway through loading
and re-booted... every time I tried it. I don't know if...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's May 21st 09, 07:32 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By Tom
can I use cl3 memory instead of 2.5 ?

Hello
I have a MSI KM400 (KM4M-L) mainboard that currently has one 512mb
module cl2.5 (512MB, DDR, 333, CL2.5) - the other memory I want to put
in is 512mb 400 ddr cl3 184 pin ....

Is it likely to...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 29th 08, 06:42 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 6
Posted By Tom
memory for Dell c1998

Many thanks for the extremely helpful and detailed replies - its very
much appreciated.

The seller of the memory on eBay --256MB PC100/133 168-PIN SDRAM
DIMM-- has replied that its not compatible...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 26th 08, 08:42 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 6
Posted By Tom
memory for Dell c1998

Many thanks for all the info - its a great help and probably stopped
me making a major mistake in buying memory chips - which was my plan.

I have seen some of the SDRAM chips I thought would be OK...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 26th 08, 11:45 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 6
Posted By Tom
memory for Dell c1998

Hi All
I've been given a Pentium II Dell PC (Dimension XPS R450) that seems
to work OK - but it only has 128mb of RAM - there are 2 free memory
slots and one only in use. The single memory module has...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 21st 08, 09:18 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 1
Posted By Tom
IDE cable connector - male

For a project to link a parallel 40 way IDE cable to a IDE to USB
converter I require a male 40 way IDE connector (aka 40 way IDC cable
mounting plug) - in the UK Maplins (the most obvious source)...
Forum: Acer Computers June 6th 08, 03:40 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.acer
Replies: 6
Posted By Tom
SD card & built in card reader problem

I have exactly the same intermittent read problem with the Aspire 5100
in that the 1GB SD cards sometimes read first time but often not until
taken out and put back in again. Sony memory sticks cause...
Showing results 1 to 22 of 22