Showing results 1 to 25 of 500
Search took 2.18 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Ron Hardin
Forum: Dell Computers February 26th 19, 02:14 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 3
Posted By Ron Hardin
Upgrade

The minimal HD memory Latitude 3180 at the outlet
store is pretty cheap ($250, less on coupon days)
and offers win10 pro. I got one to be able to
play modern youtube videos, which XP can't deal...
Forum: Dell Computers February 18th 19, 11:01 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 0
Posted By Ron Hardin
Scratch'n'dent

I've been buying Factory Outlet Dells for a while. I notice I have much better
luck with scratch'n'dent laptops than refurbished ones (though they eventually
get fixed owing to keeping sending them...
Forum: Dell Computers January 11th 18, 11:26 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 1
Posted By Ron Hardin
Latitude RAM?

I suspect occasional RAM errors on my Latitude E5400.
(one bash shell coredump, one BSOD on insterting a DVD)

What's the best replacement? 2x2GB

The order form read (scratch 'n' dent Dell outlet...
Forum: Dell Computers January 11th 18, 05:02 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 6
Posted By Ron Hardin
Virtual memory explosion

Ben Myers wrote:

Execute it, follow the mindless instructions and reboot after... Ben Myers

Thanks, I did that on speculation that they wouldn't tempt you with something that wouldn't work as...
Forum: Dell Computers January 9th 18, 10:54 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 6
Posted By Ron Hardin
Virtual memory explosion

Ron Hardin wrote:
I can download a newer drive for intel mobile chipset for the E5400 from the dell site
but it doesn't tell me whether to execute it or do something else with it

-rwxr-x---+...
Forum: Dell Computers January 8th 18, 10:17 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 1
Posted By Ron Hardin
igfxsrvc.exe igfxpers.exe

Ron Hardin wrote:

If you kill them both they stay away but you can't
do a screen capture and paste it anywhere.

Which program does that I don't yet know. Will
have to await killing off...
Forum: Dell Computers January 8th 18, 03:15 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 1
Posted By Ron Hardin
igfxsrvc.exe igfxpers.exe

If you kill them both they stay away but you can't
do a screen capture and paste it anywhere.

Which program does that I don't yet know. Will
have to await killing off igfxsrvc when it grows
in...
Forum: Dell Computers January 6th 18, 08:29 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 6
Posted By Ron Hardin
Virtual memory explosion

Ben Myers wrote:

Yes, that is the Intel graphics driver. But the reason it eats virtual memory is unclear... Ben
Myers

If I kill it the VM use goes away and some time
later it's restarted...
Forum: Dell Computers January 6th 18, 08:28 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 6
Posted By Ron Hardin
Virtual memory explosion

Ben Myers wrote:

Yes, that is the Intel graphics driver. But the reason it eats virtual memory is unclear... Ben Myers

On Friday, January 5, 2018 at 1:06:38 PM UTC-5, Ron Hardin wrote:
Forum: Dell Computers January 5th 18, 06:06 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 6
Posted By Ron Hardin
Virtual memory explosion

process igfxsrvc.exe seems to own about 2gb of
virtual memory, according to process explorer.
Memory leak?

It's an intel graphics driver I think.

Machine is latitude e5400 from 2011.

Fix?
--
Forum: Dell Computers December 31st 17, 07:07 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 10

Yay! I found the PowerDVD CD that came with the
Inspiron 1200 and it works on the latitude E5400
that replaces it.

A simpler time.

free VLC player was much too screwed up as to
where the...
Forum: Dell Computers December 27th 17, 10:17 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 10
Posted By Ron Hardin
Inspiron 1200 HD type??

Time to put that baby out to pasture.

I scored a primo condition refurb Latitude E6330 with 8 GB ram, 500 GB
hard drive, DVD burner, Win 10 64 Pro, and a real strong battery for
$159...
Forum: Dell Computers December 27th 17, 12:58 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 10
Posted By Ron Hardin
Inspiron 1200 HD type??

Ben Myers wrote:

Ron,

Best fix for a hard drive with a bad sector is to clone it to another drive. For this, you need
hardware to which both drives are attached, e.g.
the drive...
Forum: Dell Computers December 26th 17, 06:41 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 10
Posted By Ron Hardin
Inspiron 1200 HD type??

Ron Hardin wrote:

Is there a way to do a surface to surface copy
onto a new IDE drive?

I've only ever done regular formatted copies a
file at a time, which of course leave the new
Forum: Dell Computers December 26th 17, 02:00 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 10
Posted By Ron Hardin
Inspiron 1200 HD type??

Is there a way to do a surface to surface copy
onto a new IDE drive?

I've only ever done regular formatted copies a
file at a time, which of course leave the new
drive needing an OS and all sorts...
Forum: Dell Computers December 26th 17, 01:47 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 10
Posted By Ron Hardin
Inspiron 1200 HD type??

Ben Myers wrote:

Ron,

Wow! The Inspiron 1200 goes way back. It used older IDE drives, not the newer SATA ones.

One memory slot for DDR. Max memory is 1GB (in the slot) plus 256MB.
Forum: Dell Computers December 25th 17, 06:22 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 10
Posted By Ron Hardin
Inspiron 1200 HD type??

I have an Inspiron 1200 that's been my main
computer since new, that's showing signs of
crashes and BSOD's.

What kind of HD does it have? Conflicting
acronyms that I don't know the meanings...
Forum: Dell Computers December 9th 17, 12:36 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 7
Posted By Ron Hardin
Swapping a SSD to a new notebook

Ben Myers wrote:

If you plan on long-term use of the working Vostro 1400, install the drivers, of course.

One does not necessarily have to use a system with the same model to resurrect...
Forum: Dell Computers December 7th 17, 09:32 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 7
Posted By Ron Hardin
Swapping a SSD to a new notebook

I swapped a HD from a failed Vostro 1400 into a
working (but slower) Vostro 1400 and it worked
okay, thinking it was the failed machine.

Except found new hardware comes up on boot, which
I just...
Forum: Dell Computers November 28th 17, 10:24 PM Posted to alt.windows7.general,alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 2
Posted By Ron Hardin
Dell computer with no input

I'm using external DVD drives anyway, when the
original one wears out in whatever failure mode
that usually is. Increasing error rates, failing
to launch.

It does require the USB port be working...
Forum: Dell Computers September 9th 17, 01:36 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell,alt.comp.os.windows-10
Replies: 2
Posted By Ron Hardin
Screen wont' turn off

It thinks there's activity. I've never been able to figure out why, on the perhaps
one in ten laptops the condition develops in. If it's a LED display, it won't
matter; but a flourescent light...
Forum: Dell Computers July 5th 17, 01:12 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 6
Posted By Ron Hardin
computer fried--query about restoring on new used computer

How would I reactivate Windows (it is W7). Do I just call and explain
the situation?

On Dell computers it assumes the operating system is valid. HP may be the same.

In any case you paid for...
Forum: Dell Computers July 4th 17, 06:07 PM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 6
Posted By Ron Hardin
computer fried--query about restoring on new used computer

Try transplanting the HD. I just did one with a Dell Vostro 1400 and it worked okay.

There may be drivers you have to install for devices that aren't the same make, like wifi
radio chips, after it...
Forum: Dell Computers July 2nd 17, 01:10 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 7
Posted By Ron Hardin
GAK! Vostro 1400 cooling fan

Ron Hardin wrote:

It turns out that you have to disassemble the
entire laptop to get at the cooling fan.

Step 25 remove cooling fan.

The odds of the machine working after that are
Forum: Dell Computers June 29th 17, 03:45 AM Posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Replies: 7
Posted By Ron Hardin
GAK! Vostro 1400 cooling fan

Yeah, you have to tear down a vostro 1520b to get
at the coin cell, which is how I know the odds of
getting a torn-down machine to work again are
zero. Also you have screws left over.
--...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 500