Showing results 1 to 25 of 71
Search took 0.19 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: pheasant16
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 24th 19, 12:01 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 8
Posted By pheasant16
Win XP quits loading (Finally forced me to get a new box)

On 8/23/2019 1:26 PM, Flasherly wrote:
On Thu, 22 Aug 2019 19:19:29 -0500, pheasant16
wrote:

No fun. It's like working on two faulty cars without one up and
running...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 23rd 19, 01:19 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 8
Posted By pheasant16
Win XP quits loading (Finally forced me to get a new box)

Puts the desktop picture up, but loads no icons and won't connect to
network. Boots into safe mode just fine.

Still have the original retail XP disk when I built the box.

Took it to a computer...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 11th 18, 01:56 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 21
Posted By pheasant16
Updating an XP box

On 12/10/2018 12:52 PM, Flasherly wrote:
On Mon, 10 Dec 2018 06:44:14 -0600, pheasant16
wrote:

Not a gamer, just need a newer OS to run current browsers so can do
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 10th 18, 01:44 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 21
Posted By pheasant16
Updating an XP box

On 12/9/2018 2:09 PM, Paul wrote:
Paul wrote:
pheasant16 wrote:
Have an old box using XP with 5 hard drives full of data that needs
updating due to financial website issues and...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 9th 18, 03:35 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 21
Posted By pheasant16
Updating an XP box

Have an old box using XP with 5 hard drives full of data that needs
updating due to financial website issues and XP.

Would it be possible to add Win 7 or 10 on an SSD in an PCIE slot to
get a...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 4th 17, 02:08 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 16
Posted By pheasant16
Now let's fix the USB card!

Paul wrote:
pheasant16 wrote:
VanguardLH wrote:
Paul wrote:

The thing is, the PCI Express USB3 cards run faster in a Rev.2 slot.

The OP said he used a PCI slot for the card,...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 4th 17, 02:05 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 16
Posted By pheasant16
Now let's fix the USB card!

VanguardLH wrote:
pheasant16 wrote:

The first and third slots are PCIe-1 slots.

Bought at Best Buy Insignia is brand.

Insiginia (and Dynex) are Best Buy brands. They contract with...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 3rd 17, 01:06 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 16
Posted By pheasant16
Now let's fix the USB card!

VanguardLH wrote:
VanguardLH wrote:

pheasant16 wrote:

Having to physically reinsert the card into the slot to get it found is
not working out. However there isn't a dust bunny to...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 3rd 17, 12:51 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 16
Posted By pheasant16
Now let's fix the USB card!

John Doe wrote:
pheasant16 wrote:

Having to physically reinsert the card into the slot to get
it found is not working out. However there isn't a dust
bunny to be...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 3rd 17, 12:38 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 16
Posted By pheasant16
Now let's fix the USB card!

VanguardLH wrote:
Paul wrote:

The thing is, the PCI Express USB3 cards run faster in a Rev.2 slot.

The OP said he used a PCI slot for the card, not a PCI-e slot. Will
have to wait for...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 2nd 17, 01:21 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 16
Posted By pheasant16
Now let's fix the USB card!

OK

You guys helped me decide what to do about streaming old movies so how
about this annoyance.

Having to physically reinsert the card into the slot to get it found is
not working out. However...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 30th 17, 12:58 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 11
Posted By pheasant16
Program to stream .vob ?

Paul wrote:
pheasant16 wrote:

Thanks for the advice.

Just to be su I want to stream this to the Roku box. I can watch
.vob on the computer now, just want to send it to the...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 29th 17, 12:26 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 11
Posted By pheasant16
Program to stream .vob ?

Larc wrote:
On Wed, 28 Jun 2017 08:25:10 -0400, Flasherly wrote:

| On Wed, 28 Jun 2017 06:53:23 -0500, pheasant16
| wrote:
|
| Have been away...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 28th 17, 12:53 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 11
Posted By pheasant16
Program to stream .vob ?

Have been away from video for about 3 years. Was going to watch an old
movie I'd ripped to the hd with a program called PlayOn. It sees the
title, but no longer will play it. Will play .mp4 just...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 1st 16, 11:57 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 9
Posted By pheasant16
Update old laptop

pheasant16 wrote:
Has become very slow over the past 8 years or so. Tried to back
everything up with Carbonite. Didn't work to transfer everything to new
laptop.

Thanks all.

Lots of...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 30th 16, 04:12 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 9
Posted By pheasant16
Update old laptop

Has become very slow over the past 8 years or so. Tried to back
everything up with Carbonite. Didn't work to transfer everything to new
laptop.

Decided to learn a second language this winter,...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's June 20th 16, 12:23 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By pheasant16
Router

Reading the reviews at Newegg makes me wonder about the stability of any
of them. May be best to just to pick one at random. Had a decent
Netgear N600 wndr3400 give up the ghost after 2 years,...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's May 10th 16, 12:19 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 8
Posted By pheasant16
Windows 10 taking forever to download for an upgrade from modernlaptop running Windows 7

Paul wrote:
WinXP, that would require a clean install
by booting the Win10 DVD. And you wouldn't get to
keep your programs, and would have to reinstall all
of them.
Loads of fun,
Forum: Homebuilt PC's May 9th 16, 11:34 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 8
Posted By pheasant16
Windows 10 taking forever to download for an upgrade from modernlaptop running Windows 7

Paul wrote:
RayLopez99 wrote:
As reported all over the net.

The worse part, if you decide to upgrade using the "Windows Update"
link rather than the "Notification" icon that appears on...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 7th 16, 12:37 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 20
Posted By pheasant16
Living in a land with no ground wire

RayLopez99 wrote:

Yes, GFI is super sensitive, sometimes even using a cheap Chinese electric drill will trip it. It's easy to connect: two wires in, for +/- wires, and two wires out, for the...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 20th 15, 06:04 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 4
Posted By pheasant16
STILL haven't built new :\

The more I look at components, the less interest I have in building new.

Old still has plenty of memory, storage and CPU reserve for what I do.
Issue is running Win XP. Just got an email stating...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 13th 14, 11:10 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 0
Posted By pheasant16
Thanks Paul

Got to say I always enjoy reading Paul's replies to any question posted.

Always helpful, cites references, and never condescending no matter the
question.

His explanations go way past yes or no,...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 15th 14, 02:52 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 3
Posted By pheasant16
Quiet build

Streaming software sent an email last week stating many channels won't
work with the last version of IE that XP supports.

Guess it's time to update.

Surfing the net, reading email, and streaming...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 16th 13, 03:44 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 6
Posted By pheasant16
Help me decide -upgrade

pheasant16 wrote:
I'm finding the desktop's most challenging task has become transcoding
video to be streamed from hard drive to a Roku box.

Currently have an older MSI NF980-G65 with an...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's December 6th 13, 01:07 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 6
Posted By pheasant16
Help me decide -upgrade

I'm finding the desktop's most challenging task has become transcoding
video to be streamed from hard drive to a Roku box.

Currently have an older MSI NF980-G65 with an AMD Athlon II X3 445 Rana...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 71