Showing results 1 to 25 of 77
Search took 5.35 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: PC Guy
Forum: General November 24th 12, 08:05 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 7
Posted By PC Guy
Wireless USB extenders - why do they not seem to exist?

Pete wrote:

I do like the idea of a USB to wifi adapter but it seems the tech
can't really support it. for a camera, you could just use an IP
camera which can be got at little money.

I have...
Forum: General November 24th 12, 03:51 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 7
Posted By PC Guy
Wireless USB extenders - why do they not seem to exist?

For under $25 dollars that is. In dongle form.

For example, say you've got some sort of USB device (camera) that has a
USB port. You want to mount the camera a short distance away from...
Forum: General November 13th 12, 04:32 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 14
Posted By PC Guy
Windows 8 Tutorial?

"Chris S." wrote:

For downloadable documents (ebooks, etc):

Windows 8 for Dummies Dell Pocket...
Forum: General November 12th 12, 11:55 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 14
Posted By PC Guy
Windows 8 Tutorial?

wrote:

Sure would like to know what I have gotten myself into.

Anyone suggest a Good Windows 8 tutorial?

For specific questions and...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's September 26th 12, 12:27 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 2
Posted By PC Guy
Anyone know if I can swap the LCD screen from an HP MiniNote 2133 to a2140 ?

I've got a couple of MiniNote 2133 netbooks - their screen resolution is
1280 x 768.

I just picked up a couple of refurbished 2140 netbooks (with 2 gb ram,
160 gb hard drive and Windows 7 home...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 29th 12, 05:24 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 4
Posted By PC Guy
Does the AGP version of Nvidia 6200 have h.264 decoder?

Paul wrote:

I swapped an MX440 (64 mb) video card for an Evga GeForce 6200
(256 mb) video card because VLC can't really play large h.264
video files smoothly on my system.

I...
Forum: General April 29th 12, 05:24 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 3

Paul wrote:

I swapped an MX440 (64 mb) video card for an Evga GeForce 6200
(256 mb) video card because VLC can't really play large h.264
video files smoothly on my system.

I...
Forum: Nvidia Videocards April 29th 12, 05:24 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware

Paul wrote:

I swapped an MX440 (64 mb) video card for an Evga GeForce 6200
(256 mb) video card because VLC can't really play large h.264
video files smoothly on my system.

I...
Forum: Nvidia Videocards April 29th 12, 01:57 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 3
Posted By PC Guy
Does the AGP version of Nvidia 6200 have h.264 decoder?

I swapped an MX440 (64 mb) video card for an Evga GeForce 6200 (256 mb)
video card because VLC can't really play large h.264 video files
smoothly on my system.

I updated VLC to the latest version...
Forum: General April 29th 12, 01:57 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 3
Posted By PC Guy
Does the AGP version of Nvidia 6200 have h.264 decoder?

I swapped an MX440 (64 mb) video card for an Evga GeForce 6200 (256 mb)
video card because VLC can't really play large h.264 video files
smoothly on my system.

I updated VLC to the latest version...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 29th 12, 01:57 PM Posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 4
Posted By PC Guy
Does the AGP version of Nvidia 6200 have h.264 decoder?

I swapped an MX440 (64 mb) video card for an Evga GeForce 6200 (256 mb)
video card because VLC can't really play large h.264 video files
smoothly on my system.

I updated VLC to the latest version...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 28th 12, 05:21 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 5
Posted By PC Guy
What's important for video playback?

Fierce Guppy wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_PureVideo

===========
The first generation PureVideo GPUs (GeForce 6 series) spanned a wide
range of capabilities. On the low-end of...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's April 28th 12, 01:54 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 5
Posted By PC Guy
What's important for video playback?

If we're talking about video-card performance only in terms of video
playback (playing hi-def MKV files using VLC for example) and if we're
NOT talking at all about anything to do with video games,...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's March 9th 12, 11:08 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 29
Posted By PC Guy
Computer won't start - look for bad capacitors

Metspitzer wrote:

What can I check next?

The correct answer was Power Supply. When I changed it with
another power supply, it started.

A new or different power supply might have...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 17th 12, 11:28 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 31
Posted By PC Guy
The usenet posting style of John Doe

The Seabat wrote:

Does anyone know what this Klown is talking about when he says
"introduce prior authors"? He won't explain it himself for
some reason.

Does anyone know...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 17th 12, 02:34 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 31
Posted By PC Guy
The usenet posting style of John Doe

John Doe wrote:

And learn how to introduce prior authors like everybody else
does here on UseNet.

Does anyone know what this Klown is talking about when he says
"introduce prior authors"? He...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 17th 12, 02:30 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 31
Posted By PC Guy
Any netbooks that *can't* run XP?

John Doe wrote:

If this asshole were a skilled technician, he would be able
to introduce prior authors, like everybody else does on UseNet.

Nobody else on usenet does what you do (routinely...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 17th 12, 02:21 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 32
Posted By PC Guy
A neat way to tie up cables, PC cable management

Nil wrote:

Somebody should have checked this asshole's invitation to this
thread...

This is a public forum. Nobody needs an invitation. Anybody can, and is
welcome to participate. If...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 17th 12, 12:26 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 32
Posted By PC Guy
A neat way to tie up cables, PC cable management

John Doe wrote:

(...)

Why do you bottom-quote the full header of the post you're replying to?

I've never seen such stupid-ass behavior from anyone on usenet - ever.
And I've been posting to...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 16th 12, 02:54 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 6
Posted By PC Guy
Any ATSC tuner cards with video *outputs* ???

PC Guy wrote:

Are there any ATSC tuner cards that will OUTPUT a user-selected
channel to (a) composite, (b) S-video, (c) component video, (d)
HDMI, and (e) 9-pin VGA output ports?

Paul...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 16th 12, 03:35 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 6
Posted By PC Guy
Any ATSC tuner cards with video *outputs* ???

Are there any ATSC tuner cards that will OUTPUT a user-selected channel
to (a) composite, (b) S-video, (c) component video, (d) HDMI, and (e)
9-pin VGA output ports?

(if not all of a through e,...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 14th 12, 04:57 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 32
Posted By PC Guy
A neat way to tie up cables, PC cable management

John Doe wrote:

No, it's not stupid, it's simple and exceptionally useful.

If it's not stupid, it's dumb.

Stupid is a UseNet poster who should be technically oriented
but does not even know...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 14th 12, 05:38 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Replies: 32
Posted By PC Guy
A neat way to tie up cables, PC cable management

John Doe wrote:

Take an ordinary PC power supply cable. ... Then simply tie it
as if you were starting to tie a square knot

Is there a picture somewhere on the net of what this is...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 14th 12, 02:33 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt

John Doe wrote:

Take an ordinary PC power supply cable.
Then simply tie it as if you were starting to tie a square knot

Is there a picture somewhere on the net of what this is supposed...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 13th 12, 02:23 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows-xp,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Replies: 31
Posted By PC Guy
Any netbooks that *can't* run XP?

BillW50 wrote:

Side question: Is there any netbook with a touch screen?

I only know a lot about the Asus EeePC 700 series. And they came
with XP Home. Except for the 700 which only had...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 77