Showing results 1 to 25 of 63
Search took 1.11 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Jonathan de Boyne Pollard
Forum: General August 21st 11, 01:27 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.os2.apps,comp.os.os2.setup.misc
Replies: 29
OS2APIC.PSD

But boy...that seems like a bit complex proposition no?

Not for me. It's a logical next stage, in fact. I have to deal with
MPS tables anyway.

If I understood correctly, the BIOS itself has...
Forum: General August 19th 11, 12:24 PM Posted to comp.os.os2.setup.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.os2.apps
Replies: 29
OS2APIC.PSD

I've now read through the Intel MPS 1.4 spec...and started looking at making
a quick port of the Unix style 'mptable' utility. I assume that we OS2
users could use this type of info...not that...
Forum: General August 17th 11, 10:36 AM Posted to comp.os.os2.apps,comp.os.os2.setup.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Replies: 29
Southbridges and interrupts

The firmware SETUP utility only shows one serial port, which besides the
disabled setting, can be set to any of the usual settings for the first
4 ports. Hardware manager only shows one port as...
Forum: General August 16th 11, 05:24 PM Posted to comp.os.os2.apps,comp.os.os2.setup.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Replies: 29
Southbridges and interrupts

The one PCI card I have installed is reported by pci.exe to use PCI
bus#2, IRQ#3, INT#A

Which rather puts the kibosh on what the manual says about interrupt
sharing, doesn't it?...
Forum: General August 16th 11, 04:58 PM Posted to comp.os.os2.apps,comp.os.os2.setup.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Replies: 29
Southbridges and interrupts

PCI.exe reports all the onboard stuff on PCI BUS [0], the ATI AGP card
on BUS [1] and the network card plugged in as on BUS [2]

That's three buses interconnected with PCI-to-PCI and PCI-to-AGP...
Forum: General August 15th 11, 06:07 PM Posted to comp.os.os2.apps,comp.os.os2.setup.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Replies: 29
Southbridges and interrupts

Your mainboard manual is misleading you somewhat. These aren't actual
PCI slots on your motherboard. All of these are internal devices that
exist on the ICH chip itself, at fixed PCI...
Forum: General August 15th 11, 05:10 PM Posted to comp.os.os2.apps,comp.os.os2.setup.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Replies: 29
Southbridges and interrupts

An i8042 keyboard and mouse, UART, parallel port, infrared port, MIDI
interface, environment controller, and 82078 floppy disc controller will
be connected to a separate "Super I/O" chip...
Forum: General August 15th 11, 04:36 PM Posted to comp.os.os2.apps,comp.os.os2.setup.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.os.os2.misc
Replies: 8
Enabling SMP

It's unfortunate that these two acronyms are so easily confused.

Especially when, as it seems here, conversation is about to turn to the
way that Advanced Programmable Interrupt...
Forum: General August 15th 11, 04:34 PM Posted to comp.os.os2.apps,comp.os.os2.setup.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.os.os2.misc
Replies: 29
OS2APIC.PSD

For a typical single user, multi core system, what are the possible
'combinations' of these options to use/try?

Note that your situation is different to that of M. Yeo. You're getting...
Forum: General August 12th 11, 02:02 PM Posted to comp.os.os2.apps,comp.os.os2.setup.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.os.os2.misc
Replies: 29
OS2APIC.PSD

I've been trying to understand the options for the OS2APIC.PSD driver...

Don't go reading the copies of its documentation that exist on the WWW,
such as at the EDM/2 CONFIG.SYS Documentation...
Forum: General August 12th 11, 12:51 PM Posted to comp.os.os2.apps,comp.os.os2.setup.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.os.os2.misc
Replies: 29
Southbridges and interrupts

I found this interesting IOAPIC note
(http://www.o3one.org/tutorials/apicarticle.txt), it explains the functionality
in accessible terms.

It gets three things quite wrong, however:

* There is...
Forum: General August 12th 11, 06:47 AM Posted to comp.os.os2.apps,comp.os.os2.setup.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Replies: 29
Southbridges and interrupts

That's unusual. What chipset does it have?

Northbridge: Intel® 865G

Southbridge: Intel® ICH5

Was it you who had me looking at the ICH7? The ICH7 is a little more
versatile, but also a...
Forum: General August 11th 11, 06:29 PM Posted to comp.os.os2.apps,comp.os.os2.setup.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Replies: 29
doscall1

My motherboard manual shows the interrupt assignments. It shows 2 PCI
slots using INT #F and #G and the other one sharing #A IIRC.

That's unusual. What chipset does it have?
Forum: General August 10th 11, 03:51 PM Posted to comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.os2.apps,comp.os.os2.setup.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Replies: 29
doscall1

maybe he can successfully shed some more light on this subject.

Here are some more basics, just so that we're all on the same page:

* In theory one can have multiple I/O APICs in a system. In...
Forum: General August 10th 11, 10:31 AM Posted to comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.os2.apps,comp.os.os2.setup.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Replies: 8
Enabling SMP

It's unfortunate that these two acronyms are so easily confused.

Especially when, as it seems here, conversation is about to turn to the
way that Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controllers are...
Forum: General August 10th 11, 08:20 AM Posted to comp.os.os2.setup.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips,comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.os2.apps
Replies: 8
Enabling SMP

...something else which I looked up in the BIOS this time, the
description for hte IOAPIC says the following:

'Include ACPI APIC table pointer to RSDT pointer list'

Now...does that make...
Forum: General August 9th 11, 01:21 PM Posted to comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.os2.apps,comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.nt.kernel-mode,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Replies: 0
timers

BTW, I think ACPI offers an additional timer that could be used
for this purpose.At least Windows seems to go this route in it's
implemenation of the DosTmrXXX equivalents.

It's not ACPI. ...
Forum: General August 9th 11, 10:39 AM Posted to comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.os2.apps,comp.os.os2.setup.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Replies: 8
Enabling SMP

My machine is NOT configured to support ACPI, however, setting my
BIOS to ACPI enabled and using MPS map 1.4 seems to produce an
otherwise pretty darn stable system. [...]

So you have...
Forum: Storage (alternative) July 29th 11, 01:37 AM Posted to comp.os.linux.setup,comp.unix.programmer,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 38
Help, the dog ate my MBR (Linux/Windows dual boot)

So can someone translate this for me ?

You can translate it for yourself. Indeed you can read the untranslated
original and save yourself even that effort. GRUB2 is free software.
Its source...
Forum: Storage (alternative) July 29th 11, 01:18 AM Posted to comp.os.linux.setup,comp.unix.programmer,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 38
Help, the dog ate my MBR (Linux/Windows dual boot)

In any case, one would have to ask, why is the OP's MBR code loading sector 0, head 1, track 79? What code is in that particular sector?

M. Noob's MBR code is *not* doing that. Again, go and read...
Forum: Storage (alternative) July 29th 11, 01:10 AM Posted to comp.os.linux.setup,comp.unix.programmer,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 38
Help, the dog ate my MBR (Linux/Windows dual boot)

I say this because those 64 bytes which are normally assigned to the
four 16-byte partition slots are instead occupied by code and a text
string ("Floppy"). There are also JMP instructions...
Forum: Storage (alternative) July 29th 11, 12:49 AM Posted to comp.os.linux.setup,comp.unix.programmer,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 1
Help, the dog ate my MBR (Linux/Windows dual boot)

I used a Fedora 15 live CD to boot to Linux, and examine the MBR.

And yet this:

# cat broken_mbr.dump

is not a command to do that. So what command did you *actually* run to
obtain the...
Forum: Storage (alternative) July 29th 11, 12:49 AM Posted to comp.os.linux.setup,comp.unix.programmer,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 38
Help, the dog ate my MBR (Linux/Windows dual boot)

Now this seems to be a likely candidate.

Not really.

I could easily imagine windows modifying the MBR to short-circuit the
recovery from hibernation.

Imagination doesn't create truth. ...
Forum: General July 28th 11, 03:01 PM Posted to comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.os2.apps,comp.os.os2.setup.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Replies: 0
FF and SM with Native Printing Support

3) the BIOS allows me to select APIC & IOAPIC, both are selected, even
though I do not run ACPI

It's easy to confuse ACPI with APIC, but the twain are quite different
things. Enabling local...
Forum: General April 24th 11, 03:19 PM Posted to ecomstation.support.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Replies: 0
ACPI FIXVW2 4-20-2011 a regression?

/APIC doesn't work at all without /SMP on same line. It is just
ignored without it.

Are you sure of this statement? I thought that /APIC vs /PIC had to do
with how interrupts are...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 63