Showing results 1 to 25 of 51
Search took 0.22 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Rob Morley
Forum: General June 10th 17, 08:35 PM Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,uk.comp.home-networking,alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 10
Posted By Rob Morley
Networx Connectix Switch

On Sat, 10 Jun 2017 18:25:04 +0100
Adrian Caspersz wrote:

Hi folks,

A long shot if anyone has come across these? Must be popular
commercially.

I've picked up a 24...
Forum: Storage (alternative) June 20th 14, 08:28 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,uk.comp.homebuilt
Replies: 14
Posted By Rob Morley
"Consumer-grade SSDs actually last a hell of a long time"

On Fri, 20 Jun 2014 10:52:40 +0100
Mike Tomlinson wrote:

This is actually quite an important question.

If data are written to an SSD and that SSD is then unplugged, what...
Forum: General June 12th 13, 06:33 PM Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 21
Posted By Rob Morley
No sound card recognised

On Wed, 12 Jun 2013 15:24:22 +0100
Jaimie Vandenbergh wrote:

It's another sound output though, and that's the significant thing.

Indeed, but it does cause...
Forum: General June 12th 13, 02:47 PM Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware
Replies: 21
Posted By Rob Morley
No sound card recognised

On Wed, 12 Jun 2013 13:30:05 +0100
Rob wrote:

Most graphics card now come with one or more HDMI ports and
HDMI includes sound, so graphics cards with that also have a
Forum: General June 8th 13, 02:00 PM Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Replies: 87
Posted By Rob Morley
PC almost at standstill

On Fri, 07 Jun 2013 12:27:35 +0100
Terry Pinnell wrote:

BTW, after the last crash/reboot I reduced the resolution a bit, to
1024 x 768 and FWIW in the many hours since...
Forum: General June 8th 13, 10:57 AM Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Replies: 87
Posted By Rob Morley
PC almost at standstill

On Sat, 08 Jun 2013 10:25:45 +0100
Terry Pinnell wrote:

In parallel with locating the driver for my Sound Blaster card ( if
indeed this PC does have one - I'm beginning...
Forum: General June 7th 13, 05:03 PM Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Replies: 87
Posted By Rob Morley
PC almost at standstill

On Fri, 07 Jun 2013 15:01:29 +0100
Terry Pinnell wrote:

Terry Pinnell wrote:

Rob Morley wrote:

On Thu, 06...
Forum: General June 6th 13, 09:18 PM Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,uk.comp.homebuilt
Replies: 87
Posted By Rob Morley
PC almost at standstill

On Thu, 06 Jun 2013 18:18:43 +0100
Terry Pinnell wrote:

Rob Morley wrote:

Did you run memtest yet?

No, too much else to do! And I don't...
Forum: General June 6th 13, 03:21 PM Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Replies: 87
Posted By Rob Morley
PC almost at standstill

On Thu, 06 Jun 2013 15:05:10 +0100
Terry Pinnell wrote:

Paul, Rob: Thanks both. I gave up and went out and bought a
refurbished 40 GB HD with same fittings as the bad...
Forum: General June 6th 13, 10:17 AM Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Replies: 87
Posted By Rob Morley
PC almost at standstill

On Thu, 06 Jun 2013 10:09:40 +0100
Terry Pinnell wrote:

Paul wrote:
Groan Back to 'no boot' status. And possibly worse. Ready to dump
it and buy...
Forum: General June 6th 13, 09:20 AM Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Replies: 87
Posted By Rob Morley
PC almost at standstill

On Wed, 05 Jun 2013 16:23:09 -0400
Paul wrote:

I still think you should "pretend" to do data recovery
on the pulled 60GB. You don't get a "half dead" Maxtor that
often, and...
Forum: General June 5th 13, 01:58 PM Posted to uk.comp.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Replies: 87
Posted By Rob Morley
PC almost at standstill

On Wed, 05 Jun 2013 08:58:29 +0100
AC wrote:

I had something like this. Its was one of the disks dying and I
guessed that the bios / disk controller was desperately trying to fix
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 26th 11, 01:32 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
Replies: 11
Posted By Rob Morley
Worth getting extra 1GB memory for Athlon 3400 running XP?

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 11:29:07 GMT
Sandi wrote:

I am in the UK. Is it worth upgrading the memory in my old WinXP PC?
It's an Athlon 3400+ (socket 939) with 1GB PC3200.

Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 20th 10, 04:26 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
Replies: 13
Posted By Rob Morley
Audio cassette to PC convertor

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 04:56:59 -0500
Paul wrote:

They could have, if they wanted to, thrown in their own sound card,
one with internal jacks.

Or the connector to use internal...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 20th 10, 07:38 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
Replies: 13
Posted By Rob Morley
Audio cassette to PC convertor

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 21:57:34 -0500
Paul wrote:

The Plusdeck2c is reviewed here.

http://www.thinkcomputers.org/old/index.php?x=reviews&id=403&page=1

Neat idea for geeks,...
Forum: General January 18th 10, 04:21 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,uk.comp.homebuilt
Replies: 6
Posted By Rob Morley
Audio cassette to PC convertor

On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 21:39:07 -0000
"Steve Walker" wrote:

If price is important, use method 1 - a 3.5mm to 3.5mm mini-phono
cable

3.5mm is mini jack - phono is altogether...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's January 18th 10, 04:21 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware,uk.comp.homebuilt

"Steve Walker" wrote:

If price is important, use method 1 - a 3.5mm to 3.5mm mini-phono
cable

3.5mm is mini jack - phono is altogether...
Forum: General October 19th 09, 05:23 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware,uk.comp.homebuilt
Replies: 82
Posted By Rob Morley
What after XP?

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 17:10:54 +0100
"Dr Zoidberg" wrote:

"bcoombes" bcoombes@orangedotnet wrote in message
Forum: General October 19th 09, 05:12 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware,uk.comp.homebuilt
Replies: 82
Posted By Rob Morley
What after XP?

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009 05:02:51 -0700
"Jon Danniken" wrote:

Conor wrote:

You mean like XP was a service pack for Win2k...

There was never anything wrong...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 15th 09, 08:13 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
Replies: 12
Posted By Rob Morley
Want some help to choose a monitor

On 15 Oct 2009 12:18:11 GMT
"Jeff Gaines" wrote:

I tried to make the point that buying a high resolution screen then
increasing the font size gave you the...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 15th 09, 11:57 AM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
Replies: 12
Posted By Rob Morley
Want some help to choose a monitor

On 15 Oct 2009 09:52:36 GMT
"Jeff Gaines" wrote:

Echoing what Mark has aid you must run an LCD monitor at its native
resolution or you will be very disappointed...
Forum: UK Computer Vendors September 1st 09, 07:04 PM Posted to uk.comp.vendors
Replies: 2
Posted By Rob Morley
A question about boxes.

On Tue, 1 Sep 2009 16:58:51 +0100
"Trust No One®" wrote:

I notice that whatever the size of my order, the box that it ships in
from Ebuyer always matches its dimensions...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 26th 09, 07:09 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
Replies: 99
Posted By Rob Morley
Recommendations for new build

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 13:22:38 -0400
Paul wrote:

Fishface wrote:
Paul wrote:

Foxconn should hire someone, to help them pick names for the
boards.

You...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 18th 09, 07:18 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
Replies: 99
Posted By Rob Morley
Recommendations for new build

On 18 Jul 2009 17:41:48 GMT
Andreas Schulze Bäing wrote:

The OP stated that he does not wish to waste money on
capabilities he will not use.

You mean you actually read the...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's July 18th 09, 04:36 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,uk.comp.homebuilt
Replies: 99
Posted By Rob Morley
Recommendations for new build

On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 07:08:24 -0700
"Fishface" wrote:

John Doe wrote:

If I were using Linux, I could be compiling the kernel instead of
using voice to operate...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 51