Showing results 1 to 25 of 34
Search took 0.07 seconds.
Search: Posts made by: Neill Massello[_3_]
Forum: Homebuilt PC's October 20th 20, 08:15 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,microsoft.public.windows.64bit.general
Replies: 5
"Backblaze Hard Drive Stats Q3 2020"

On 2020-10-20 at 12:01:11 MDT, "Lynn McGuire" wrote:

"Backblaze Hard Drive Stats Q3 2020"
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/backblaze-hard-drive-stats-q3-2020/

Thanks...
Forum: Storage (alternative) May 13th 20, 09:48 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 3
"Backblaze Hard Drive Stats Q1 2020"

Lynn McGuire wrote:

On 5/12/20 6:27 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:

"Backblaze Hard Drive Stats Q1 2020"
Forum: Storage (alternative) February 15th 19, 03:17 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 4
"An Inside Look at the Backblaze Storage Pod Museum"

Mark Perkins wrote:

I'm not only continually amazed at what they're doing, but even more so
that they're doing it out in the open where everyone can see it. Most
Forum: Storage (alternative) January 27th 19, 03:10 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 16
Which drive would you get?

Yousuf Khan wrote:

The question is is the 256MB cache a bigger advantage than the 7200RPM
rotation?

I don't know, and it would probably depend on whether you were...
Forum: Storage (alternative) January 26th 19, 09:37 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 16
Which drive would you get?

Yousuf Khan wrote:

One choice of drives is a 5900 RPM 256MB cache. The other is a 7200 RPM
64MB cache.

Where and how will it be used? For most applications, the...
Forum: Storage (alternative) September 15th 18, 07:42 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 6
"Seagate Announces 14TB Barracuda Pro, IronWolf, And IronWolf Pro"

Lynn McGuire wrote:

And not cheap at a list price of around $600 each.

The highest capacity drives always cost more per TB than those in the
middle of the curve. The more...
Forum: Homebuilt PC's August 9th 18, 06:07 PM Posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 72
"Why I Will Never Buy a Hard Drive Again"

VanguardLH wrote:

Ever look at the cost of a 2TB or 4TB SSD? Ouch!!!

Note the phrase "boots from" in the Tom's Hardware clip. Run system and
apps from a modestly sized SSD and...
Forum: Storage (alternative) November 8th 17, 01:15 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 7
we replaced one of our two WD 150 GB Velocirartors today

Lynn McGuire wrote:

As a matter of note, we replaced one of our two WD 150 GB Velocirartors
today. It has over 70,000 operating hours on it. Pretty good for a hot
Forum: Storage (alternative) October 13th 17, 04:13 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 9
WD 12 TB hard drive for $604

wrote:

On Tue, 10 Oct 2017 14:36:40 -0500, Lynn McGuire
wrote:

You can now buy a 12 Tb drive for $604:

Newegg:

WD Gold: $540
Forum: Storage (alternative) October 6th 17, 02:36 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 14
"Yes, Backblaze Just Ordered 100 Petabytes of Hard Drives"

Lynn McGuire wrote:

Now I know why the 8 TB and 10 TB drives are in short supply. Between
Backblaze and the NSA, not many are left for us common folks.

Well, common...
Forum: Storage (alternative) August 8th 17, 08:45 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 5
new WD Blue SSD 500 GB drive for $150

Lynn McGuire wrote:

Has anyone tried the new WD Blue SSD 500 GB drive for $150 ? I have a WD
1 TB Caviar Black at home but I am ready for SSD speed.
Forum: Storage (alternative) July 11th 17, 05:30 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 7
WD Green sleep timeout

Ed Light wrote:

Are they kind of noisy?

More noise, vibration, and heat than the 5400rpm drives, but it varies
quite a bit depending on the capacity. I have a Black 1TB that...
Forum: Storage (alternative) July 6th 17, 01:32 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 7
WD Green sleep timeout

Tom Del Rosso wrote:

The WD Greens used to have a timeout of about 10 seconds, and they only
had a DOS utility to change it. What's the state of...
Forum: Storage (alternative) March 21st 17, 12:14 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 2
Format of "Enterprise" drives

Lynn McGuire wrote:

Aren't all of the current drives 4K byte sectors ?

Nope, but I'm pretty sure all hardware and OS/file systems have been
able to handle 4k disks for...
Forum: Storage (alternative) February 4th 17, 12:22 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 2
Now WD is selling 1 TB SSD drives

Lynn McGuire wrote:

Now WD is selling 1 TB SSD drives for $260:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LXPENRR/

Good price, less than an Intel 1 TB SSD for...
Forum: Storage (alternative) February 3rd 17, 10:12 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 4
"Backblaze Hard Drive Stats for 2016"

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

The different failure rates for the Seagate ST4000DM000 and ST4000DX000
are interesting.

There's a significant difference in average age...
Forum: Storage (alternative) January 4th 17, 05:09 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 19
WD external 6 TB USB drive DOA

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:

I bought 6 black drives from them, and almost all of them failed, some
twice. They just overheated, all the bloody time.

Blacks run hot....
Forum: Storage (alternative) January 4th 17, 05:09 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 19
WD external 6 TB USB drive DOA

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

I thought I had read that WD's "Green" drives were being discontinued.

They have been. Blue is the new Green. The only remaining 7200rpm Blue
is...
Forum: Storage (alternative) December 1st 16, 01:30 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 12
Western Digital Red?

Yousuf Khan wrote:

So 5000's would have the same amount of data/inch as 7200's.

For the same generation of drives, yes. Over time, the "areal density"
of hard drives...
Forum: Storage (alternative) November 26th 16, 08:00 AM Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.windows7.general,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 31
Can't format 64 GB USB flash drives as FAT32?

pjp wrote:

I was under the understanding Mac's read/write to exFat.

Correct. The Mac operating system comes with read-only support for NTFS
volumes but full...
Forum: Storage (alternative) November 11th 16, 10:13 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 8
What are good 2TB drives these days?

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

Some of the negative reviews on NewEgg and Amazon are because of the
vendor's slip-ups. And you name any brand, there are reviewers who will
Forum: Storage (alternative) November 9th 16, 08:16 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 8
What are good 2TB drives these days?

Yousuf Khan wrote:

I got a 1TB drive in my system. It's had some recoverable bad sectors on
it already, and it's getting a little full anyways. So thinking of
Forum: Storage (alternative) August 2nd 16, 11:01 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 6
"Hard Drive Stats for Q2 2016"

Lynn McGuire wrote:

I am continuing to stay away from Seagates for now. WDC are beginning
" to worry me also. Of course, Backblaze is a very harsh
environment.

Also note the...
Forum: Storage (alternative) July 22nd 16, 10:59 PM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 3
Seagate's new drives -- up to 10TB

Percival P. Cassidy wrote:

http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-drives/barracuda/

When did it become BarraCuda? Do you say it the way Heart does in the
song?
Forum: Storage (alternative) May 18th 16, 10:18 AM Posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Replies: 7
"One Billion Drive Hours and Counting: Q1 2016 Hard Drive Stats"

Ed Light wrote:

On newegg, the HGST's & WD's both get mostly 4 eggs. Just looking at
models with lots of reviews. But one HGST had about 30% of reviews at 1
egg.

You...
Showing results 1 to 25 of 34